Anyone familiar with these 50L kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moxie

Reaction score
89185fd19.jpg

Any idea what would be revealed if I chopped the plastic top and bottom off?

Cheers

Metal, I heard its a PITA to remove it though... I have read of ppl taking it to some type of machinery shop, since they would be able to get through it allot easier. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try, just try not to damage it in the process.

The bottoms are kinda round with no ring like a Sankey keg...IMO Not worth the extra work...But if its whatcha' got put it to work... There is a steel ring arount the top that you are not going to get off unless you cut the entire top off.. Its what they poured the plastic onto....If its the same type of keg I had...3 hours with power tools to get it all off and it was messy!
Jay

if you're just fermenting in this, i'd say just leave the rubber.

That's the idea, I am just trying to figure out a good way to get beer in and out without CO2, not only that, but a convenient/easy way to clean out the trub/etc. A guy is selling it for $25 locally, so it is probably worth the effort.

That's the idea, I am just trying to figure out a good way to get beer in and out without CO2, not only that, but a convenient/easy way to clean out the trub/etc. A guy is selling it for $25 locally, so it is probably worth the effort.

yeah, seen that listed....definately not a bad price. Remove the center part, should be a retaining ring....then a good cleaning with oxyclean and a carboy brush should do the trick...then grab a large bung with an airlock maybe?

I just got one of these to use for a fermenter. I cut most of the rubber off the top by hand. I heated it with a heat gun and that surely helped. Jaybird is right about the metal ring attached to the fitting at the top. If I had to do it again I would use my 4 inch grinder and a jig to cut almost all the way through the plastic and then use a utility knife to finish the rest, or you could just leave it. My original intention was to cut the top and rig up some lid with a blow off but I just bought the sanke fitting from Brewershardware. It is a very nice product. I may be in the market for another 50L keg.

DeepSea

I have one that I use a tippy-dump mash tun with a bottom drain. It was kind of a pain but I just cut down each side of the plastic rim with a recipricol saw and then peeled it off in chunks.

Back