Belgian Golden Strong Ale Duvel (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if anyone can help me. I was thinking about brewing this beer. I did not see any mash time/temp. instructions, I may have missed them though.

Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes. Mash at higher temps to achieve a thicker viscosity.

How would this be with blueberry in addition to the pears?

I've been wanting to do a Duvel clone for a while as I'm working on a beer for my 20 year high school reunion. I have five years to work on the recipe.

Our school colors were blue and gold, so I figured blueberries and golden pears might be a nice hook.

Okay. Got this goin' in. The guy at my LHBS helped me scale to 8 gallons and we made a few tweaks. About 45 minutes into the boil now.

Only catch is my pot wouldn't hold the whole boil, so I put three gallons on the stovetop to boil. No hop additions there because I didn't want to split 'em up. Only boiled that bit for 40 minutes since my main boil was pretty aggressive and looks like I'll boil off more than expected there. So we'll see how much I have when I put it all together.

Not sure if I'll fruit this batch or just bottle and hold on for a few months and use it as a reference batch. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!
dsc_0053.jpg

Okay. Got the wort in two cornys. I could only chill to about 90 before I hit equilibrium with my ground water. Well, not really, but it was close and would have taken forever to come down to pitching temps. I didn't add any of the sugars to the boil as I plan on feeding the beer over time. So I'll do the candi sugar in about four days and the dextrose another few days after that. Figure I'll give the yeasties a chance to eat the maltose before the "candi".

I'd read that was advisable for these high grav brews (and just heard it on BrewStrong the other day). My LHBS guy also recommended that. Did any of you do that with your brews?

Even without the sugars, my OG was 1.053 corrected for temp, which comes in at 70% efficiency according to brew target. Once I get the candi and dex in there, it'll have a cumulative gravity of 1.066. I could add another half pound of dex if I really want to hit 1.069. We'll see how it goes.

Okay. Got the wort in two cornys. I could only chill to about 90 before I hit equilibrium with my ground water. Well, not really, but it was close and would have taken forever to come down to pitching temps. I didn't add any of the sugars to the boil as I plan on feeding the beer over time. So I'll do the candi sugar in about four days and the dextrose another few days after that. Figure I'll give the yeasties a chance to eat the maltose before the "candi".

I'd read that was advisable for these high grav brews (and just heard it on BrewStrong the other day). My LHBS guy also recommended that. Did any of you do that with your brews?

Even without the sugars, my OG was 1.053 corrected for temp, which comes in at 70% efficiency according to brew target. Once I get the candi and dex in there, it'll have a cumulative gravity of 1.066. I could add another half pound of dex if I really want to hit 1.069. We'll see how it goes.

I am VERY excited for your brew........... Please let us know how it turns out:ban:

ALSO, what type of yeast are you using?

One half is using a smack pack of Wyeast 1833 "Belgian Strong Ale" and the other is 1762 "Belgian Abbey II".

The 1762 krausen was NASTY thick! Almost had the consistency of a freshly-risen pizza dough. Banana and bubble gum smells like crazy! The 1833 was peachy and spicy. I added the sugars in batches and it's "done" fermenting now. Hit 1.010 FG on both. I took the gas lines off the corny kegs but am venting twice a day as there's still a bit of gas. So maybe they're not QUITE done. These are going to be dry!

I think I'll keep 'em in the primary for another two weeks, then secondary in cornies for another month. Then bottle in Belgian bottles with corks and cages for another two months. That will be four months since brewing.

One half is using a smack pack of Wyeast 1833 "Belgian Strong Ale" and the other is 1762 "Belgian Abbey II".

The 1762 krausen was NASTY thick! Almost had the consistency of a freshly-risen pizza dough. Banana and bubble gum smells like crazy! The 1833 was peachy and spicy. I added the sugars in batches and it's "done" fermenting now. Hit 1.010 FG on both. I took the gas lines off the corny kegs but am venting twice a day as there's still a bit of gas. So maybe they're not QUITE done. These are going to be dry!

I think I'll keep 'em in the primary for another two weeks, then secondary in cornies for another month. Then bottle in Belgian bottles with corks and cages for another two months. That will be four months since brewing.

MAN that sounds GREAT!!!! Good to hear and I am sure it will be AWSOME.
:rockin:

Made something like this the other week, without the pears or aromatic malt, used wyeast 1388 and hit 93% apparent attenuation! That's what moortgat gets, iirc. Going to cold crash and bottle soon. Unfortunately I only did a 2.5 gallon batch, I think this one is going to get drunk fast.

Hey I think this is going to be my next beer, but I noticed it has a 90 minute boil, which is longer than the 60 minutes I am used to. What is the purpose of the longer boil?

Oh, and I heard some people were adding the sugars slowly to the fermenters rather than adding at boil, how did that turn out? Should I do that?

yea... i call BS on the pronounciation. I first had Duvel in Amsterdam, and the Dutch say it doo-vel.

The pronounciation is said to be pronounced as DE-VIL per

CLONE BREWS
books

Yep and its best fresh before the hops fade, oh and the pear is from the yeast.
Also Listed in the book above is the recipe which states to add Pear Flavoring.... I don't like artificial, so I added real pears :)

Hey I think this is going to be my next beer, but I noticed it has a 90 minute boil, which is longer than the 60 minutes I am used to. What is the purpose of the longer boil?

Oh, and I heard some people were adding the sugars slowly to the fermenters rather than adding at boil, how did that turn out? Should I do that?
Longer boil will allow the wort to become more concentrate and mend the goodness nicely. A great explanation on the longer vs shorter boil can be found on
The Brewing Network:
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/694

Check out the "The Best Of" episode, somewhere in the middle, but hell the whole thing is AWSOME!:rockin:

Yes I too have that book and don't care how the book says its pronounced as I have been over there many,many,many times and its wrong. I spend roughly 1 month per/yr in NL & Belgium travelling just for beer. The pronunciation varies from region to region along with age of the person speaking.:drunk:

The yeast wlp570 is where the pear comes from not some juice or fruit.

Heres a page>
http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/pronounce/speak.html

yes i too have that book and don't care how the book says its pronounced as i have been over there many,many,many times and its wrong. I spend roughly 1 month per/yr in nl & belgium travelling just for beer. The pronunciation varies from region to region along with age of the person speaking.:drunk:

The yeast wlp570 is where the pear comes from not some juice or fruit.

Heres a page>
http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/pronounce/speak.html

rdwhahb:)

i brewed this beer with additional pils, and no pears.

will be bottling this week.

will update.........but initial readings are good

OG: 16.490 Plato FG: 1.310 Plato

Just brewed this tonight as my first all grain... ended up with a little over 6 gallons and an OG of 1.52.
My digital thermometer froze on me making me think my mash was at 130... added a gallon of near boiling water and couldn't get the mash below 154 for the final 30 minutes.
I also added .5lb of cara pils and only added 1lb of sugar to the boil... will add the other 1lb after 2 days in the primary.
Biggest issue I had besides missing my temps was pouring it into my bucket only to realize I had no head room, which caused me to do a rushed preparation of my 15g LME container fermenter.

Just brewed this tonight as my first all grain... ended up with a little over 6 gallons and an OG of 1.52.
My digital thermometer froze on me making me think my mash was at 130... added a gallon of near boiling water and couldn't get the mash below 154 for the final 30 minutes.
I also added .5lb of cara pils and only added 1lb of sugar to the boil... will add the other 1lb after 2 days in the primary.
Biggest issue I had besides missing my temps was pouring it into my bucket only to realize I had no head room, which caused me to do a rushed preparation of my 15g LME container fermenter.

Nice to hear you got her brewed.

How was it? Did it turn out ok?

A couple of comments here. First, I'd question whether the yeast cultured from a Duvel bottle is the yeast actually used to ferment the beer, and not simply a strain added for bottle conditioning. "Brew Like a Monk" states that Moortgat uses different yeasts for fermentation and conditioning.

Second, I've lived in Flanders within spitting distance of Breendonck for twenty-five years; I speak what I like to believe is fluent Dutch, and my wife is Flemish. The pronounciation is indeed "DOO-vul", but the "oo" is a bit shorter than one might expect, somewhat more like the oo in "book", than like oo in "boom". I have a very funny story about my wife and a snooty waiter in Houston who was certain that the proper pronounciation was "Doo-VAHL".

SO I have a buddy getting married in July and we decided on this to be one of the brews on tap at the wedding.

Recently we split a four pack of Duvel. Pouring each bottle in a glass and then leaving a little in the bottom in order to provide yeast for a flask of boiled then cooled malt extract. After letting it go for a week. I then poured the thin layer yeast into another flask of wort. At this point it is going strong. Should be brewing this no later than next week with pics to come. Stoked to make this one again. i dont think i have since it is such a PIA.

Stay tuned...

DOOVEL1.2
18-D Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Author: SMT
Date: 2/20/2013

Size: 10.0*gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 238.61*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.071 (1.070 - 1.095)
|========#=======================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.005 - 1.016)
|==========================#=====|
Color: 5.43 (3.0 - 6.0)
|====================#===========|
Alcohol: 7.05% (7.5% - 10.5%)
|=====#==========================|
Bitterness: 32.3 (22.0 - 35.0)
|====================#===========|

Ingredients:
20*lb Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt
0.52*lb Carastan® Malt
8.0*oz Castel Belgian Aromatic
2.0*lb Candi Sugar Clear
2.0*lb Corn Sugar
2.0*oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90*m
0.5*oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30*m
0.5*oz Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30*m
0.5*oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 12*m
10*lb Asian Pears - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0*ea DUVEL - Bottled Yeast

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0*°F
Source Water: 60.0*°F
Elevation: 0.0*m

Notes
[02/20/2013] - Scaled pears down to 15# instead of 22#. The original five gallon recipe called for 11#, yet this pears flavor was a little strong and it took a long time for the pear flavor to mellow out.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.20

13 - 1.jpg

O.G. 1.073

It was a good brew day. the weather here in Georgia was very nice and the process went smooth. I did have a little trouble with the fly sparge sprinkler but I think it is just time to give her a little tlc.

Below are pics of the day...finished up at The Fred which is sort of like a speakeasy for quality beer.:mug:

2013-02-24_15-23-51_451.jpg

2013-02-24_16-37-09_119.jpg

2013-02-24_18-15-22_98.jpg

2013-02-24_18-15-07_807.jpg

2013-02-24_19-44-40_90.jpg

After fermenting for roughly four weeks, we transferred the beer on top of ten pounds of Asian Pears (this recipe is 10gl versus the first batch at 5gl).I decided to go with less pears for two reasons: 1) the last batch had a really strong pear flavor and took a few months to finally start to mellow out 2) they are REALLY expensive. What you see below is $40.00 dollars worth of pears.

The pears were given a bath in sanitizer and then peeled, sliced and pureed. All the tools used to complete this process was also sanitized.

I plan to let them sit for a few weeks and then keg.

2013-03-23_16-40-40_681.jpg

2013-03-23_17-42-01_287.jpg

2013-03-23_18-00-49_551.jpg

2013-03-24_18-14-14_63.jpg

I just brewed a 3 gallon batch of this-- used 7lbs pils, 2oz aromatic and 2 oz carapils instead of the 15L crystal. No pears. Used WLP570. Sitting in my ferm chamber at 72.5*F. Need to find something to pitch onto the yeast cake after this.

Will report back.

Back