Anyone using Jaybirds Hopblockers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricksox

Reaction score
Last week my brew partner and I ran into some serious clog issues in our plate chiller due to trub and hop gunk from the boil kettle. I've already ordered and installed a custom false bottom from Norcal Brewing Solutions and it's awesome so I was debating picking up one of their hop blocker mini screens (the 5" one) for my keggle. Just curious to hear if anyone has any opinions on this? Do they work pretty well? Do they keep most of the trub and gunk out of your chiller?

Here's what I am talking about:

0511_5_Inch_Mini_Hop_Stopper.jpg

So apparently not? Haha.

OK, does anyone have any experience with hop baskets (spiders?) vs. bottom of the keggle type filters like the one I posted above?

i think that screen is intended to go under a jaybird false bottom in a mash tun, i made one just like it for my mash tun out of scrap perforated stainless.

edit: i just looked on their website and that is a hopblocker, they have a similar design for the mash tun.

Pretty sure they're made for whole hops, not pellet hops.

I'm using a hop spider of my own design currently, in my keggle. Everything in it's construction is stainless except for large nylon bag that the hops go into (a large grain bag often used in BIAB). Has no problems holding ~8oz of pellet hops in there and would be able to hold more if I wanted (probably with a larger batch size).

Last week my brew partner and I ran into some serious clog issues in our plate chiller due to trub and hop gunk from the boil kettle. I've already ordered and installed a custom false bottom from Norcal Brewing Solutions and it's awesome so I was debating picking up one of their hop blocker mini screens (the 5" one) for my keggle. Just curious to hear if anyone has any opinions on this? Do they work pretty well? Do they keep most of the trub and gunk out of your chiller?

Here's what I am talking about:

0511_5_Inch_Mini_Hop_Stopper.jpg

If you are looking for a solution for trub and pellet hops getting into and clogging your plate chiller the only real "total" solutions we have is the 15" reversed hinge and a level 3 filter/stand. The 5" mini was designed for a total different use. I have had several people ask if they can use the level 3 alone without a 15" and my answer is this. We have done a test with it, with both pellet hops and whole hops alone without the 15" on top of it. It will filter a very small amount without getting clogged. It just does not have the surface area needed to be very useful alone. The 15" hinged false bottom stops about 70% of the pellet mush and trub, the level 3 will stop the other 30% of the debris, and I must say is VERY effective if used in the system.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Jay

If you are looking for a solution for trub and pellet hops getting into and clogging your plate chiller the only real "total" solutions we have is the 15" reversed hinge and a level 3 filter/stand. The 5" mini was designed for a total different use. I have had several people ask if they can use the level 3 alone without a 15" and my answer is this. We have done a test with it, with both pellet hops and whole hops alone without the 15" on top of it. It will filter a very small amount without getting clogged. It just does not have the surface area needed to be very useful alone. The 15" hinged false bottom stops about 70% of the pellet mush and trub, the level 3 will stop the other 30% of the debris, and I must say is VERY effective if used in the system.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay,

Thanks for jumping in and helping out. I'll take a look on the website today!

Back