Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed this for a second time and plan on entering it in a comp this November. I'll send you a bottle or two, scoob. :)
I used Belle Saison yeast and fermented it in my garage which float around 90* ambient. It's quite tasty. Just pulled the first sample tonight. After carbing for only 2 days at 30psi, its damn good.

Boiling right now. Did an overnight mash at 145 and will do a zero cool method just leaving it in the kettle covered for about 24 hours. This is mostly because of a crappy schedule and my unwillingness not to brew. I went with the kg instead of fuggle, and pushed back all hop additions 15 minutes to attempt to compensate for the no chill. Hope it turns out, and thanks for the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Boiling right now. Did an overnight mash at 145 and will do a zero cool method just leaving it in the kettle covered for about 24 hours. This is mostly because of a crappy schedule and my unwillingness not to brew. I went with the kg instead of fuggle, and pushed back all hop additions 15 minutes to attempt to compensate for the no chill. Hope it turns out, and thanks for the recipe.

Very interesting. Please post back after it has been in the bottle for some time with your analysis on how it turns out!

I just brewed this for a second time and plan on entering it in a comp this November. I'll send you a bottle or two, scoob. :)
I used Belle Saison yeast and fermented it in my garage which float around 90* ambient. It's quite tasty. Just pulled the first sample tonight. After carbing for only 2 days at 30psi, its damn good.

Beer is ALWAYS welcome!

I'm seeing this as turning out awesome, your process smacks of traditional brewing for the period, innovation due to necessity.

I really like the results of this recipe.

Some tweeks I am thinking about. Drop the honey and use plain sugar instead. Then maybe give the other saison yeast a try. Even as is...this is a solid brew.

Thanks!

My wild rice variant was entered into a small local competition. I gave a taste to the bar manager and he loved it, said he'd crush it all summer if he could (my variant is 4.8%ABV IIRC). Only "fault" was the big peppery flavor. I suggest (if you use the white labs saison yeast I 565) cutting the black pepper in half, or out totally. I'll update once I get my score sheet!

I'm going to make something similar to this but tweak it to use up the ingredients I've got to hand.

I'm quite new to AG brewing and have never used oats or unmalted wheat. The store where I'm getting it advises boiling it first. Do you do this with your recipe or not?

If so, should I tip the oats, wheat and the water it was boiled in into the mash or drain them first?

Sorry if this has been answered already, there are a lot of pages to look through!

I'm going to make something similar to this but tweak it to use up the ingredients I've got to hand.

I'm quite new to AG brewing and have never used oats or unmalted wheat. The store where I'm getting it advises boiling it first. Do you do this with your recipe or not?

If so, should I tip the oats, wheat and the water it was boiled in into the mash or drain them first?

Sorry if this has been answered already, there are a lot of pages to look through!

No need to boil those before hand. It all goes in at once.

Someone can probably give a more technical answer than mine, but I don't believe boiling before is necessary. This beer turned out amazingly well for me without boiling beforehand.

EDIT
No need to boil those before hand. It all goes in at once.

What he said :p

Excellent. I had a few other things I wanted to brew but this one has just jumped to the front of the queue. Can't wait to give it a go.

Your not adding UNmalted oats or wheat, are you? Flaked? Flakes are pretty standard for oats, and are pre gelatinized which means they are ready to use in the mash. Malted wheat is treated similarly to malted barley (i.e. mashed).

Your not adding UNmalted oats or wheat, are you? Flaked? Flakes are pretty standard for oats, and are pre gelatinized which means they are ready to use in the mash. Malted wheat is treated similarly to malted barley (i.e. mashed).

Ah I see. It's a good job I asked about this in that case. I was about to pick up unmalted wheat flakes.

Most flaked wheat isnt malted. Its ready to mash with, though, since the flaking process softens the wheat.

Raw wheat kernels typically require a cereal mash beforehand.

Looking to brew this soon! How prominent is the pepper flavor? Also I think I might dry hop with some Nelson savuin to give it a bit more juicy flavor. What's everyone think?

Looking to brew this soon! How prominent is the pepper flavor? Also I think I might dry hop with some Nelson savuin to give it a bit more juicy flavor. What's everyone think?

Im about to brew this one and was contemplating a nelson dry hop as well. Sounds delicious to me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Home Brew mobile app

Nelson is great. Should work well in this.

What yeast are you using? Personally I think 3711 is plenty spicy on its own and I omitted any pepper addition on my second brew of this.

First brew was way to peppery and it took a while for that flavor to fade. I added more than the recipe called for tho, due to using a partial boil at the time, and it turned out to be too much.

Brewed this today OG came out to be 1.042 which bums me out a bit because everyone seems to be hitting 1.055 plus. Not sure where I went wrong followed directions exactly.

Was the grain crushed fine enough? Also did you batch sparge? Was it split into two separate sparges? How long did you let it sit before draining each sparge? Did you stir the heck out of it at each sparge water addition?

I mill my grain at .022" to .024", I also condition my grain and have no issues with stuck sparges even when brewing a hefeweizen.

I drain my sparge additions after a 10-15 minute rest and I drain a little slow, less than half open on my valve.

With my tight crush, my split sparge, and the stirring/resting I am consistent in hitting 85% efficiency.

Post your process and maybe there is something that can be tweaked to improve your results.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I used the crusher at the store I'm not sure what it was set to the grain didn't look all that different. I'm not sure of what split spare is, but I mashed at 148 let it sit the hour then added 212 and let it sit 10 minutes and drained. I then added 3.5 gallon of 169 degree water and ran it through sloww. Took about the minutes to drain. I then took the whole 6.5 gallons and ran it through again. I didn't stir the heck out of it but poured it viciously into the cooler aND gave it a light stir.

Store mills are commonly set fairly loose so the grain may not have been crushed very well, my grain is very fine bits, almost to a powder with the husks intact, the finer the grain is crushed the better to extract the sugars.

After the hour mash you added the volume you lost to absorption back at 212 degrees, let it rest for 10 minutes and drain into your kettle, then you added the final water amount to the grain and stirred and drained, that was your sparge addition... I split the volume into two seperate steps, so I would add in 1.75 gallons stir the heck out of it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, vorlauf until it's running clear, and drain into the kettle, repeat with the second sparge volume of 1.75 gallons, stir, rest and drain....

Running the volume through the grain again was likely counter productive, you are trying to extract the sugars from the grain into the water, (think osmosis to an equalibrium between sugar level in grain and sugar level in the water. Which is why I do multiple sparge steps to continue to extract sugars) by adding back your full volume of wort to the grain you were taking high sugar level water and adding it to the grain that had most of the sugar leached out of it, so you were adding sugars back into the grain.

Thank you for that information. When my other fermenter is free I'll use same ingredienty and technique you described and let you know the difference. As well as crush the grain finer. Also since I missed the mark quite a bit will it greatly effect the out come?

Thank you for that information. When my other fermenter is free I'll use same ingredienty and technique you described and let you know the difference. As well as crush the grain finer. Also since I missed the mark quite a bit will it greatly effect the out come?

You should still have a great beer, but a tick low from what I intended it to be

Practice makes perfect! :ban:

3711 isn't bad with pepper flavor, unless you use fresh crack black pepper, that addition should be fine (maybe half that if fresh ground IMO). The white labs saison II, on the other hand is a peppery beast. Im cutting all pepper out next time I use that yeast.

I did a split batch of this recipe before. Rrplaced the fuggles additions. Half with nelson, half with citra. I really didn't love the nelson half, as the winegrape/gooseberry flavor gave it a perceived sweetness that I disliked. Citra was great though.
Dryhopping. .. your going to get something a bit different but I dont love hoppy Belgians so I cant exactly comment specifically.

I made this on Saturday so I'm looking forward to tasting it. I did it exactly as per the guide except I used East Kent Goldings instead of fuggle.

I didn't get the efficiency I was hoping for but I'm quite new to AG brewing so I'm working on that.

One thing I noticed was that the yeast didn't seem to really have a krausen when making the starter. I left it on the stir plate for 24 hours and usually all the other yeasts I've used will be pushing out the top of the flask by then.

I pitched it anyway and I've saved a little bit which I'm building up for bottling plus I have a sachet of belle saison if it goes horribly wrong. The airlock seems to be bulling away on the brew and from what I've read this yeast doesn't foam up loads.

How did everyone else get on with it?

You didn't specify what yeast you used. Was it 3711? If so, I've not had a thick krausen the several tomes I've used it but it does like 75F sometimes more.
Why are you making a yeast starter for bottling?

You didn't specify what yeast you used. Was it 3711? If so, I've not had a thick krausen the several tomes I've used it but it does like 75F sometimes more.
Why are you making a yeast starter for bottling?

I used 3711. I didn't explain what I did very well sorry! I just saved a bit of the original starter for bottling but then grew that up in case I need to re-pitch. All I got from either starter was just a little clump of bubbles.

I'm going to get it to a warmer room now I'm a few days into the ferment. I wanted to try starting at around 19-20C and then getting it to a room that's around 23-24C. The airlock is bubbling away nicely so something must be happening. I think I was just a bit worried because I didn't know what to expect from this yeast.

Any time! Glad I could be of assistance!!

I'll surely let you know how they turn out since I have two 5 gallon batches with only slight variations. Almost went for the blueberry honey for the second batch but everything I ever have with blueberry tastes bad. Kind of sort of wish I tried it.

Brewed my 4 the batch of this but used Belle Saison yeast. It spent almost a month in primary but finished at 1.002!
Dropped out very well after I gradually upped the temp to 74-75F.
Hydro sample was awesome. Added fresh cracked pepper corns to the secondary since I left out of the boil.
Will move to keg for conditioning in 10 days or so.

I brewed this in October last year and used wlp565 Saison I Yeast. It fermented aggressively to 1.003 but came out with a cough syrup flavor. I put both cases at the back of the fridge until last week. I am amazed at how well this beer conditioned and how amazing the flavors are. Time fixed my yeast off flavors, and I have two cases of amazing Saison for the Fourth. Thanks for the recipe OP!

I brewed this in October last year and used wlp565 Saison I Yeast. It fermented aggressively to 1.003 but came out with a cough syrup flavor. I put both cases at the back of the fridge until last week. I am amazed at how well this beer conditioned and how amazing the flavors are. Time fixed my yeast off flavors, and I have two cases of amazing Saison for the Fourth. Thanks for the recipe OP!

You are very welcome!

I brewed this a few weeks ago. I used an Omega Labs Hybrid Saison yeast. This is the beer that may turn me into an alcoholic. Been brewing for about a year and this is the best of all the batches I created yet. I had brewed another saison earlier this year and the used the wyeast belgian saison 3724 and got some pretty strong esters off of it. This one is much smoother with some milder fruity notes. Well done.

LHBS here in Chicagoland, Chicagoland Winemakers. I was actually looking for the French Saison yeast and they recommended the Omega Labs yeast. This was the first time I've used their yeast. If you're not familiar with them, Omega labs is local here to Chicago. I'm not sure what their distribution is like.

http://www.omegayeast.com/

I brewed this a few weeks ago. I used an Omega Labs Hybrid Saison yeast. This is the beer that may turn me into an alcoholic. Been brewing for about a year and this is the best of all the batches I created yet. I had brewed another saison earlier this year and the used the wyeast belgian saison 3724 and got some pretty strong esters off of it. This one is much smoother with some milder fruity notes. Well done.

Glad you like the recipe!

Having recently moved back to Illinois, I need to look into joining a local brew club and get back into competitions and homebrew gatherings and tastings.

Latest posts

Back