chunky yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinisterkid

Reaction score
Hey all. I made a 1 liter starter last night. When it was time to pitch the yeast I shook up the vile and it was kinda chunky, like cottage cheese. And it was fizzy. I used white labs english ale 002. The use by date is june 2011.
When I checked the starter this morning, I swirled it and the chunks where still there.
So, do I have a bad starter?

Nope, you have yeast. And yeast is sometimes clumpy, sometimes stinky, and always ugly. You should never worry about what yeast looks like. There's too many variables involved.

Someone posted today some really good advice.

I'm not the most experienced brewer....but someone who was explained it to me this way.

Think of different strains of yeast like different people. They're all going to look a little different, act a little different, etc.

Relax.

I did Poobah's Wheat Wine a few weeks ago and had the same WTF moment when I was making the starter. I am happy to report that although very cottage cheese esq. WLP002 did the job!

I thought the same thing a few weeks ago when I brewed my first English Bitter and was trying to loosen up the yeast in a vial of WLP002 - the stuff is like cottage cheese. But once it starts fermenting, look out, it doesn't mess around. I love how fast it flocs out though - it's almost too fast. You may have to rouse it a couple times near the end of fermentation to get to your FG, as the yeast is ready for a nap before it's finished it's job sometimes.

WLP002 English Ale Yeast
A classic ESB strain from one of England's largest independent breweries. This yeast is best suited for English style ales including milds, bitters, porters, and English style stouts. This yeast will leave a beer very clear, and will leave some residual sweetness.
Attenuation: 63-70%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
(18-20°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

The VERY HIGH flocculation will result in a clumpy texture.

Completely normal for that yeast strain. I just used it for the first time last weekend and I too was worried when I looked at my starter and saw egg drop soup! But when I pitched it that stuff took off like a rocket, by far the strongest fermentation I have yet to see.

Back