Hopfather IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
I am brewing the recipe for this beast of a beer from the Extreme Brewing book this weekend. It's been a while since I brewed so I am going to do a 10 gal batch. I am really looking forward to smelling all of those delicious hops once they are in the boil.

As stupid of a question as this might be, has anyone on here made this recipe before? How did it turn out? Any changes you would make (or did make)?

Well, kind of. I brewed an IIPA last fall from a recipe I found that sounded interesting to me at the time and bore the same name. I didn't realize it was possibly a clone at the time and off the top of my head I can't remember where I found the recipe, though it wasn't from that book. Possibly someone posted the same recipe online uncredited. I'll check when I get home later tonight and let you know. It turned out delicious, though...

So I guess you're making the one mentioned here? http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/the-hopfather-a-beer-you-cant-refuse/

Granted this is referring to the RR version, and not the version he submitted to the book, but wow: "It starts with CTZ and Magnum hops, but uses primarily Amarillo and Centennial for flavor and aroma to the tune of around 10 pounds per barrel." 10 lbs per barrel? that's like 26 oz for a 5 gallon batch. That's a *monster*. I'd certainly love to try it.

That's an extract recipe as I have that book and every recipe is extract. I made that beer last year and indeed it is a great IIPA.

Here's the recipe (truncated):

Steep 1 pound cracked crystal 20L in a hop sack in 6 gallon H20. Hold at 150F and steep for 15 minutes. After 15 mins, add in 10 pounds light DME and boil. 90 min boil.

1 oz magnum (90 min)
1.5 oz columbus (90 min)
1.5 oz columbus (30 min)
3.5 oz columbus (flameout)
1.5 oz willamette (flameout)

Ferment with WLP001 or 1056

Dryhop with:

0.5 oz columbus (3 - 5 days)
0.5 oz chinook (3 - 5 days)
0.5 oz amarillo (3 - 5 days)
0.5 oz chinook (day 7)

OG 1.066 - 1.069
FG 1.012 - 1.014

Or just click the post 2 posts above. I should read the entire thread first...

I actually own this book and now that Im flipping through it it seems to be to be kind of poorly written. Alot of the SG dont correspond properly to the grain bill listed, and alot of the units of measurements are really screwy

On his sour cherry ale it says 8 ounces (or 100 g) crushed what malt

8 ozs = 230 grams. it doesnt make any sense!!!

Oh, and btw - I brewed it today, twice. I made a 10 gal batch and my buddy came over later in the day and we brewed another 5 gal batch. It smelled incredible. At one point at flame out I added 10 oz of hops. I feel like I have hop resin lining my nostrils. As I was getting down on this brew my other buddy was brewing a 60 min IPA clone next to me. IPA Day was epic.

I actually own this book and now that Im flipping through it it seems to be to be kind of poorly written. Alot of the SG dont correspond properly to the grain bill listed, and alot of the units of measurements are really screwy

On his sour cherry ale it says 8 ounces (or 100 g) crushed what malt

8 ozs = 230 grams. it doesnt make any sense!!!

Yeah that book has a ton of those errors. Some proofreader Sam got for that book.

Oh, and btw - I brewed it today, twice. I made a 10 gal batch and my buddy came over later in the day and we brewed another 5 gal batch. It smelled incredible. At one point at flame out I added 10 oz of hops. I feel like I have hop resin lining my nostrils. As I was getting down on this brew my other buddy was brewing a 60 min IPA clone next to me. IPA Day was epic.

Yeah I just made an epic IIPA as well. Clocking in at 9.8%. I used 3 oz at bittering, 3 oz at 10 mins and 3 oz at flameout. I recently racked it onto 2 oz Chinook, 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Amarillo. Going to rack again today onto a Williamette, Chinook, and Amarillo combo. At least a lb of hops is going into this bad boy.
:rockin:
Glad to hear that IPA Day was epic:mug:

Yeah I just made an epic IIPA as well. Clocking in at 9.8%. I used 3 oz at bittering, 3 oz at 10 mins and 3 oz at flameout. I recently racked it onto 2 oz Chinook, 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Amarillo. Going to rack again today onto a Williamette, Chinook, and Amarillo combo. At least a lb of hops is going into this bad boy.
:rockin:
Glad to hear that IPA Day was epic:mug:

Back at you. That IIPA sounds magical. Do you mind posting the recipe? Thanks homey!

18 lbs 2-Row
2 oz. Chocolate
2 oz. Roasted Barley

Mash for 60 mins. at 148F. Double batch sparge

1 oz Chinook @ 60 mins
1 oz Williamette @ 60 mins

1 oz each Amarillo, Chinook, Williamette @ 10 mins

1 oz. each Amarillo, Williamette @ 0 mins
2 oz Chiook @ 0 mins

lb. Corn sugar @ 15 mins
US-05

Dry Hop 2 oz. Chinook, 1 oz Amarillo, 2 oz Cascade for 6 days
Dry Hop 3 oz. Centennial, 1 oz Williamette for 7 days

OG - 1.090
FG - 1.015
ABV - 9.8%

Just an update for those of you that still care - I kegged this a few weeks back and it is heavy! I mean that in a great way. If you love hops, I would suggest you make this bad boy. I bottled the other 5 gal last week...theyre obviously not ready yet, but I am glad I made a double batch so I can hand this one out to my hophead friends.

What did you set your OG for? 1.067 as in the book, or 10 lbs of LME gives 1.077

1.077 seems to put it in the imperial range, unless the 'double' is referring to the IBU's....

The recipe you posted would yield a MUCH higher gravity then the one you posted there

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but this is correct.

I just brewed this recipe today. I hadn't done an extract brew in quite some time, but I was thinking it seemed like a lot of extract to be so low in OG. My OG ended up being right at 1.1. Oh well, it should have plenty of hops to stand up to it. Fools gonna be gettin' :drunk:

Just a warning.
The us imp -> metric conversions in the recipe from the book seem all over the shop, sometimes 1/2 ounce is 7g other times it's 21g (it's supposed to be around 14g), malt was way under too.

gone back to the original pound measurements my recipe is looking closer, but still not quite at 7-7.5abv/100IBU. It's coming in at 6.2abv/138.8IBU

Any ideas where i have gone wrong? this is my first time using beersmith

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.42 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.29 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 138.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.00 gal Wollongong, Australia Water 1 -
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 55L/SRM 145EBC (5 Grain 2 9.1 %
10 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 90.9 %
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 90. Hop 4 58.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 5 38.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30. Hop 6 41.7 IBUs
3.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Da Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

I am brewing the recipe for this beast of a beer from the Extreme Brewing book this weekend. It's been a while since I brewed so I am going to do a 10 gal batch. I am really looking forward to smelling all of those delicious hops once they are in the boil.

As stupid of a question as this might be, has anyone on here made this recipe before? How did it turn out? Any changes you would make (or did make)?

Does the book have an all grain version of the recipe?

Back