Partial mash + steep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
Hey, I'm wanting to use some Munich malt in a recipe, but I'm an extract brewer thus far. I'm wondering, can I do a mini-mash for the munich malt, add that 1gallon to 2 gallons in the brewpot, then do a 30min steep on my steepable grains, then do the 60min boil? or do i have to integrate the specialty grains into the mini-mash?

all i'm wanting is the flavor of the Munich malt; my fermentables will come from DME/LME... but if the only way to get the Munich flavor is to mash, I'll do it. How much will it add to the alcohol content on top of the fermentables in the extract?

I would just include all of the grains in the minimash. I do minis with both kinds of grain and they come out fine.

There is another thread going on about this issue right now - click here.

My recommendation is to use Cara-Munich rather than Munich. You can just steep cara-munich.

sonvolt said:
There is another thread going on about this issue right now - click here.

My recommendation is to use Cara-Munich rather than Munich. You can just steep cara-munich.

that could work. isn't cara-munich much darker than munich, though? in terms of color i mean.

Yeah Cara-munich is sweeter too. If you want the maltiness of munich you need to mash it. If think there are munich extracts being produced now though, so you could use one of those.

rcd said:
that could work. isn't cara-munich much darker than munich, though? in terms of color i mean.

cara-munich can come in many shades. It's just crystal/caramel malt, but instead of using generic 2-row they used munich malt.

-walker

Back