Help! Building my own Herms Brew system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loophol

Reaction score
I need some pointers...I recently purchased a lot of kegs and the larger ones are 50liter...13.3 gallons or so...should have been 15.5gal. Can I use the 13.3 gals for the Mash Tun and HLT? Brew kettle would need to be 15.5gal, right? Thanks for everyones help.

I have a 13g imperial keg for my HLT, serves me just fine for 10g batches. I need to top it off during the mash to be sure I have enough water to sparge, but I have an hour to remember to do that and get it to temp, so no problems.

To do a 10g batch, I usually start with 13.5g of wort in the kettle, boil off maybe a gallon and a half to two gallons, and lose about .5g to trub and hops. My goal being to get 5.5 in each carboy.

Since you'll need to start high and boil down, I don't think the smaller kegs would work too well as a boil kettle.

Edit: I know some folks on here who boil in smaller kettles use foam control products that could let you fill almost to the rim, I've never used one so ymmv

I'll go along with that. If you're planning on doing 10 gal batches, you need to have a 15gal boil pot. I'd think your mash tun would be fine. I have a 9 gal mash tun with false-bottom, my HLT and boil pot will both be converted sanke kegs (15gal) -still working on them, though. Currently I'm just doing 5gallon boils with an aluminum pot -but as was said- 10 gallon boils will foam a signifficant amount -unless you opt to use anti-foaming products (I've never used these so I have NO idea about how they work).
My system will be a HERMS when I'm done (have a large order of goodies to place with northern, soon as SWMBO says I'm clear -grin.

Back