Cream ale recipe: review and comment please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hello All.

So, here's the scenario. My brother and brewpartner is going to a NASCAR race in March. (don't ask me why, but his GF bought them tickets....) Of course, he wants to take a keg of homebrew with him that he can share with the other peeps going. Naturally the typical Nascar fan is a BMC drinker.... and naturally we are not....

SO, i have been looking for a recipe. One qualification I was looking for was something that uses Mt. Hood hops, since I just scored about 3 lbs of 'em.

I found this recipe on BeerSmith's recipe area. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Planning on brewing next Sunday, Feb 10.

I plan on using the the Cali Ale yeast as suggested at the bottom of the recipe. Will do my typical double batch sparge. I am considering upping the hops a little, as well.

Cremora Cream Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/1/2004

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Jon Griffin
Boil Size: 6.13 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Coleman Cooler
Taste Rating(out of 50): 38.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: Great light summer beer. Lager without the hassle!

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.21 %
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 oz Mt Hood [4.10 %] (90 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.12 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 14.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.8 SRM Color:
Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
Sparge Water: 2.40 gal Grain Temperature: 68.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 68.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 163.1 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.60 qt of water at 200.8 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes
You could ferment a Cal Ale yeast at a low temp and get this done faster. say 62 degrees.

Well, I did a cream ale last summer (the recipe is in my drop down) and it was great. I'd suggest some carapils for good head, since you want to appeal to BMC drinkers. I used s-05 yeast at a low temperature and was very happy with that.

I'm not sure about Mt. Hood hops in a cream ale- but why not? It'll give you a nice clean bittering flavor. Since I like hops, I'd suggest something besides bittering hops. Something "mild" though- do you have anything already in mind? I would think crystal, saaz, etc. Something not floral or citrusy.

I am with Yooper, only triple the amount of mt hood and add 2 more ounces of crystal. Make it an IPA, at least one or two of the NASCAR enthusiasts will take a liking to it, and you will have changed their lives for the better. Screw the rest of them!;)

I like Williamette in my cream ale, But I am interested in seeing how this turns out with the Mt.Hood Keep this thread updated. :mug:

Thanks for the replies, so far.

Hmmmm, I know I have three or four different kinds of leftover hops from past brews...Not sure what they are, but some of them would probably work good as aroma hops w/ this brew... I am thinking about changing the boil to a 60 min instead of a 90. I can't really see any reason to boil this one out that long?

Maybe go with the ounce of Mt. Hood at 60 min, then some aroma hops in the last 15 min or so.

Carapils is a good idea, too. Maybe 8 ounces.

Gonna have to play around with this one in BeerSmith.....Can only make it better!!!

BTW, Cheezy, I am with you on the IPA.....but unfortunately for my brother (and me....) his girlfriend is one of the BMC drinkers.....don't ask me how she has lasted this long w/ my bro. It's hilarious the **** he has to go through just to brew with me...Guaranteed if she liked good beer, she wouldn't mind!!

To me, a true "cream ale" should have lactose....like a cream stout....

but, I don't wanna venture too far from a known recipe for this one cause of his dire situation....

Last time I did a cream ale, it was a Carmel Vanilla Cream Ale.....which was really good (and had lactose) but not what I was looking for w/ this one.

Well, a "cream" ale isn't really creamy at all! There is nothing like lactose or milky things or other flavors at all- It's a very light beer. Here's the style guidelines:

Name: Cream Ale
Category: Light Hybrid Beer
Style Guide: BJCP 2004
Style Number: 6 A
Type: Mixed

Color Range: 3.0-5.0 SRM
Original Gravity Range: 1.042-1.055 SG
Final Gravtity Range: 1.006-1.012 SG
Bitterness Range: 15.0-23.0 IBU
Alcohol by Volume Range: 4.20-5.60 %
Carbonation Range: 2.6-2.7 vols

Profile: Clean with low hop flavor and aroma. Faint malt notes. Light bodied, high carbonation. Little malt flavor. Pale straw to moderate gold color. Low fruitiness, no diacytl.
Notes: Light American style that often uses a combination of lager and ale yeast. First fermented as an ale, then lagered at cold temperature. Sometimes blended with a lager to produce lagered effect.
Ingredients: Pale American two or six row malt. Light lager, ale or mixed yeast. Low hop rate. Up to 20% corn, sugar or rice to lighten body. Soft water preferred.
Examples: Little Kings Cream Ale, Genesee Cream Ale, Sleeman Cream Ale, Wisconson Brewing Whitetail Cream Ale

YooperBrew said:
Well, a "cream" ale isn't really creamy at all! There is nothing like lactose or milky things or other flavors at all- It's a very light beer. Here's the style guidelines:

Name: Cream Ale
Category: Light Hybrid Beer
Style Guide: BJCP 2004
Style Number: 6 A
Type: Mixed

Color Range: 3.0-5.0 SRM
Original Gravity Range: 1.042-1.055 SG
Final Gravtity Range: 1.006-1.012 SG
Bitterness Range: 15.0-23.0 IBU
Alcohol by Volume Range: 4.20-5.60 %
Carbonation Range: 2.6-2.7 vols

Profile: Clean with low hop flavor and aroma. Faint malt notes. Light bodied, high carbonation. Little malt flavor. Pale straw to moderate gold color. Low fruitiness, no diacytl.
Notes: Light American style that often uses a combination of lager and ale yeast. First fermented as an ale, then lagered at cold temperature. Sometimes blended with a lager to produce lagered effect.
Ingredients: Pale American two or six row malt. Light lager, ale or mixed yeast. Low hop rate. Up to 20% corn, sugar or rice to lighten body. Soft water preferred.
Examples: Little Kings Cream Ale, Genesee Cream Ale, Sleeman Cream Ale, Wisconson Brewing Whitetail Cream Ale

Yoop off hand do you know what hops are in Sleemans? It almost tastes like the hop style of henekin and green beers because of the little skunkiness to it.

Just read those style guidelines on Beersmith!

OK, I made a few changes.....here they are, based on my equipment. (which changed the batch size, etc.) We usually do 11 gal batches, 12.5 gal preboil.

I added the Carapils, 1 lb.
Changed the crystal 20L to crystal 10L (to lighten it up)
Changed the hop schedule, added 1 oz at 15 min, 1oz at 5 min

Whattaya think now?

Cremora Cream Ale 2
Cream Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/1/2004
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Brewer: Jon Griffin
Boil Size: 12.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Keggle + 48 qt Ice Cube
Taste Rating(out of 50): 38.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes: Great light summer beer. Lager without the hassle!

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
20 lbs 4.9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.73 %
2 lbs 8.6 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 10.22 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.02 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.02 %
2.50 oz Mt Hood [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [4.30 %] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [4.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.55 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.36 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 %
Bitterness: 20.4 IBU Calories: 231 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: STD: mashout and double batch sparge Total Grain Weight: 24.85 lb
Sparge Water: 0.52 gal Grain Temperature: 60.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 145.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

STD: mashout and double batch sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Dough In Add 6.21 gal of water at 166.4 F 150.0 F
15 min Batch#1 Add 4.50 gal of water at 197.4 F 168.0 F
15 min Batch#2 Add 4.25 gal of water at 168.0 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Pressure/Weight: 8.9 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

You could ferment a Cal Ale yeast at a low temp and get this done faster. say 62 degrees

Yep.... That looks better.

Pushes it right up close to the limits for the style in OG, IBU, ABV, SRM....

Actually a bit over the limit or SRM....

:rockin:

*singing* "Take it to the limit....one more time!"

Will update this thread with changes to the recipe and or reports of the brew!

sleepystevenson said:
Yep.... That looks better.

Pushes it right up close to the limits for the style in OG, IBU, ABV, SRM....

Actually a bit over the limit or SRM....

:rockin:

*singing* "Take it to the limit....one more time!"

Will update this thread with changes to the recipe and or reports of the brew!

Were you just showing the hop schedule change? Because you doubled your grain bill from your first post.

The first recipe was the original as downloaded from Beersmith.com.

The second recipe was based on my equipment, efficiency, and batch size (which was more than double the original batch size.)

Sorry for the confusion. Just posted the first one so everybody would have a baseline of the original recipe!

Have a good weekend, all!

sleepystevenson said:
The first recipe was the original as downloaded from Beersmith.com.

The second recipe was based on my equipment, efficiency, and batch size (which was more than double the original batch size.)

Sorry for the confusion. Just posted the first one so everybody would have a baseline of the original recipe!

Have a good weekend, all!

Ok cool, everything looks good, Happy Brewing

Back