2nd generation yeast how to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binaryman

Reaction score
So for many of you this will be a dumb question...

I've brewed a few batches, but starting to get into it more. I hear people talk about 2nd and 3rd generation yeast.

Where\what do I reclaim this yeast from?

How do I reclaim it?

How do I store it?

How long is it good for stored?

How many generations can I use it for?

Also, my neighbor said he harvested yeast from a shelf craft beer. I think he said was the 'gunk' at the bottom. Is this accurate?

I've been top cropping my english ale yeasts, I have two carboy caps each with a 3/8 stainless tube through them connected with tubing. I put one on to the fermenting carboy (this one has an air filter and a hose attached to it too) the other goes into a flask. I use the tube with the filter to blow into the fermenter an push out the liquid at the top of the fermenter. I harvest about 300-500ml of the top of the fermenting beer at high krousen, and then add 1500ml of a starter and let that go over night. That gives me ~600 billion cell count (rough estimate) that i pitch into a 11 gallon batch.

Well, it depends on the type of fermenter you use and how you want to go about it because there are a ton of different ways. I personally use carboys and dump in the boiled and cooled water and then rinse and save it. Just do a search for it. There are a few really good topics on this site and you can find videos on youtube.

Well, it depends on the type of fermenter you use and how you want to go about it because there are a ton of different ways. I personally use carboys and dump in the boiled and cooled water and then rinse and save it. Just do a search for it. There are a few really good topics on this site and you can find videos on youtube.

+1 The sticky at the top of this forum and the video on BillyBrew were my two main references.

Back