meat vs. beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a little late on this thread I guess. I had the same issue with fatty liver, showed up initial on blood tests by high liver enzymes and then verified with an ultra sound. My solution, rather than giving up meat OR beer was to cut back only on fried foods (no french fries), and get back to exercise. I really don't do much there. I run maybe 3-4 miles 2-3 times a week and light weights (that part I haven't been so consistent about). I lost 25 lbs and liver enzymes issue disappeared on last two tests.

dale

Bike N Brew said:
Whoa, relax! I believe Evan! cited a comedian.

OK, how about "we're supposed to eat meat because we are omnivores, and have been since we evolved as a species" (pretty sure the heroin analogy doesn't fit there).

The health issue isn't meat, per se. Sure, we probably don't need as much as we did in caveman times, given that we spend a lot more time typing on homebrew forums (for example) than running down mammoths with sticks and stones. But meat in moderation isn't unhealthy. If it's all you eat (and you're not running down mammoths) then you have a problem. The bigger problem is probably the nature of the carbs and fats (overprocessed, and generally uunfamiliar to the human body) that a lot of people eat today.

There's also the antibiotics that most American meat is pumped full of, the growth hormones, the animal waste parts that are ground up and fed to the next generation of animals (mad cow anyone?), not to mention the appalling conditions most animals are raised in.

Oops, I couldn't hold back again! I really do try not to get into arguments about vegetarianism with meat-eaters, but it's hard sometimes, given the importance our society places on meat.

F*@& it, let's have a beer!

chthonik said:
There's also the antibiotics that most American meat is pumped full of, the growth hormones, the animal waste parts that are ground up and fed to the next generation of animals (mad cow anyone?), not to mention the appalling conditions most animals are raised in.

mmmm meat. now I'm hungry. I think it's a Wendy's day for a triple!

chthonik- Just because of your stupid little rant im gonna go eat a big ass steak tonight.:) mumm meat!!!!:rockin:

I don't know about appalling conditions. The cows on my property seem pretty content to wander about munching on grass all day. That's when they're not eating the bucket loads of oats and barley they get to supplement their diet. My chickens run around a various spacious coop and get fed an optimum diet. The Hutterite colony down the road raises commercial birds and they have a large barn where they can run around all they like. The only poor conditions I've seen on livestock are the laying hens. So if you don't want to contribute to animal cruelty, stop eating eggs and go ahead with everything else.

Not all meat is bad. In most urban parts of the USA, we now have a much more diverse selection when we go to the supermarket than we did even one or two years ago. Buying "bad" foods is no longer the fault of the supermarket trying to make a buck... an informed consumer has options.

The fact that I don't eat as much red meat as the next guy isn't because I actively tell myself not to. And it sure as hell ain't because I don't like the taste! (I LOVE a good steak!) It's because I put other proteins like fish and lean poultry into my cooking, and it just doesn't leave much room for burgers, sausages and whatnot. I save those things for the occasional weekend BBQ. A "diet of exclusion" mentality is usually not the answer. If you want to get somewhere, you need to think about what roads you should take, not the thousands of roads you shouldn't take. :mug:

Fingers said:
I don't know about appalling conditions. The cows on my property seem pretty content to wander about munching on grass all day. That's when they're not eating the bucket loads of oats and barley they get to supplement their diet. My chickens run around a various spacious coop and get fed an optimum diet. The Hutterite colony down the road raises commercial birds and they have a large barn where they can run around all they like. The only poor conditions I've seen on livestock are the laying hens. So if you don't want to contribute to animal cruelty, stop eating eggs and go ahead with everything else.

You're certainly the exception. Good for you; I don't mean that sarcastically.

Since this thread has been revived...

I can answer the question: can I eat pork and chicken and just avoid the cow.

The answer is no.

I went to the grocery store and thought I bought a bunch of vegetarian and vegan burritos. One of them had been stocked in the wrong place and I didn't pay close enough to the label when I grabbed it.

I was half way through what I thought was a vegan chili verde burrito when I realized I was eating shredded pork. At that point, I figured I might as well finish it instead of throwing it away.

The digestion pain that caused me to go see the doc. came right back. Whether that pain is related to the fatty liver or not, I don't know yet. But I do know that my body isn't digesting any meat the way it should.

Sorry, I've been out of town.

when they ultrasounded me, they looked at my gallbladder and didn't find anything. Talking to my boss yesterday, he said the same thing.

I didn't think of the gallbladder because my pain is no where near there. But it could be reflective pain

He suggested I try the zero-fat/high-fat test: Eat no fat for 2 days. On the 3rd day eat a lot of fat and see if the pain comes back. His doc. told him to do it because he didn't appear to have stones. When his pain came back on the 3rd day, the did some exploratory stuff and discovered that he had "sludge" in his gallbladder instead of stones.

I'll have to try it some time this week. Maybe I have the same sort of situation.

Add another vote for " Dump the meat". Remember that man does not live on meat alone. Keep the beer and cook with more spices and peppers and such. I once had a great Portabello sandwich somewhere, can't remember where. It was marinated in steak seasoning, grilled and served with an IPA and fries with a pickle on the side.
Worked for me:mug:

I'm not a real mushroom fan. But I agree, there are some really good mushroom burgers out there.

I tried that gallbladder test. I didn't have the pain. What I did have was probably my lactose intolerance acting up. I guess thats what I get for using cheese as one of my fat sources.

Back