Legal age to work in a microbrewery in ohio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan0804smith

Reaction score
okay,

so i have been working with a family friend towards opening up a kombucha brewery in columbus ohio. however i am only 19 years of age. even though i am young i am a passionate brewer with a few years of experience. i am even going to school at ohio state for a duel degree in food science and microbiology, with the intent of using it in the brewing industry. can i legally work in a micro brewery at my age. in the state of ohio you have to be 19 years of age to handle alcohol (as if you worked in a restaurant ect ect) since making it is onlyhandleing do you think i could legally make it within the brewery?

i would say no, being that in most states you need to be 21 to home brew it.

google it, you'll probably find a better answer. the laws are funny, and they are different in all states. there are some states where you can help brew if you are under 21, so long as you don't consume it(like that actually happens).

I kinda don't think so.

If you look at the Ohio revised code 4301:1-1-56 Employment of underage persons, it appears that you may only work with sealed containers. "Any person twenty-one years of age employed by any permit holder may participate in any manner in the handling, sale, or delivery of wine, mixed beverages, or spirituous liquor; and any person nineteen years of age employed by any permit holder may participate in any manner in the handling, sale, or delivery of beer, and when working in the capacity of a waiter or waitress may participate in the handling, sale or delivery of wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor. Any person eighteen years of age or older employed by any permit holder may handle beer, wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor in sealed containers in connection with wholesale or retail sales, and any person employed by any permit holder may handle beer, wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor in sealed containers in connection with manufacturing, storage, warehousing, placement or delivery, and in open containers in connection with cleaning tables or handling empty bottles or glasses."http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4301%3A1-1-56

I would try to find more information before you give up though.

I kinda don't think so.

If you look at the Ohio revised code 4301:1-1-56 Employment of underage persons, it appears that you may only work with sealed containers. "Any person twenty-one years of age employed by any permit holder may participate in any manner in the handling, sale, or delivery of wine, mixed beverages, or spirituous liquor; and any person nineteen years of age employed by any permit holder may participate in any manner in the handling, sale, or delivery of beer, and when working in the capacity of a waiter or waitress may participate in the handling, sale or delivery of wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor. Any person eighteen years of age or older employed by any permit holder may handle beer, wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor in sealed containers in connection with wholesale or retail sales, and any person employed by any permit holder may handle beer, wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor in sealed containers in connection with manufacturing, storage, warehousing, placement or delivery, and in open containers in connection with cleaning tables or handling empty bottles or glasses."http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4301%3A1-1-56

I would try to find more information before you give up though.

ha thanks pablo, it says it has to be sealed it you are 18. if you are 19 "and any person nineteen years of age employed by any permit holder may participate in any manner in the handling, sale, or delivery of beer" it says nothing about a sealed container if you are 19. thanks you so much pablo.

okay,

so i have been working with a family friend towards opening up a kombucha brewery in columbus ohio. however i am only 19 years of age. even though i am young i am a passionate brewer with a few years of experience. i am even going to school at ohio state for a duel degree in food science and microbiology, with the intent of using it in the brewing industry. can i legally work in a micro brewery at my age. in the state of ohio you have to be 19 years of age to handle alcohol (as if you worked in a restaurant ect ect) since making it is onlyhandleing do you think i could legally make it within the brewery?

Let your fingers do the walking, either call the local govt office involved or Google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back