The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just have to come in and mention the hat trick for Southampton's Sadio Mane in under 3 minutes!

If footy were like football, and they stopped the clock, it would have been 3 goals in 68 seconds!

Gotta love being able to see it live on NBC :D

Just have to come in and mention the hat trick for Southampton's Sadio Mane in under 3 minutes!

If footy were like football, and they stopped the clock, it would have been 3 goals in 68 seconds!

Gotta love being able to see it live on NBC :D

I was seriously a mouse click from putting him in my fpl team...

It's amazing how resilient Southampton are even after selling so many players over the summer.

So this bombshell about the Brazilian national team was dropped today by a Sao Paolo newspaper (which the Daily Mail has translated and summarized):
Brazil National Team Picked By Its Commercial Partners

Long story short, if the contract as shown is legitimate, then investors picked marketable stars for the team, instead of selecting the best team, and basically overrode the manager. With this bombshell, and the fact that many 2014 World Cup venues are struggling to remain active and relevant post World Cup, along with the promised infrastructure changes that didn't materialize, can Brazil really call this World Cup a success? Certainly, FIFA made their money and got their piece, but seems to have been left with the bill.

So this bombshell about the Brazilian national team was dropped today by a Sao Paolo newspaper (which the Daily Mail has translated and summarized):
Brazil National Team Picked By Its Commercial Partners

Long story short, if the contract as shown is legitimate, then investors picked marketable stars for the team, instead of selecting the best team, and basically overrode the manager. With this bombshell, and the fact that many 2014 World Cup venues are struggling to remain active and relevant post World Cup, along with the promised infrastructure changes that didn't materialize, can Brazil really call this World Cup a success? Certainly, FIFA made their money and got their piece, but seems to have been left with the bill.

I wish I could say it was surprising. On second thought, with how seriously Central and South America take their futbol, I'm actually fairly surprised.

Another week of MLS, some crazy stuff happened.

1. Orlando Gets Their First Home Win
And what a home win it was, a 4-0 win over defending MLS champs LA Galaxy. For once, all that attacking promise actually paid off and they finished most of their chances. A true team performance in which four different players hit the back of the net, the win puts Orlando back into playoff contention in the east.

2. LA Galaxy Aren't Looking So Great
I haven't talked much about LA this year, in part because their slow start seemed pretty normal when compared to the last two years, but the 4-0 loss vs Orlando really nails home what we've seen all year so far. Without Landon Donovan and critically underrated Marcelo Sarvas who was traded to the Rapids. Sure, in this game LA had a makeshift back line and were without star striker Robbie Keane, but in previous years LA was a team to fear even when wounded and they just aren't that team so far this year. Maybe Steven Gerrard's arrival will spark a revival, but I"m not so sure, a lot of MLS players have stumbled when coming in halfway through the year. LA needs to find a way to start getting more possession and more attack and soon.

3. Montreal Beats Down RSL
In their first game back in MLS play the Impact stumbled, but their second game saw them delivering a whupping to Real Salt Lake. It's too early to say which is the new norm for Montreal, but they have to feel bolder having gotten their first win of the season. For Salt Lake, I think there needs to be some real concern, a third of the way through the season RSL has been struggling to maintain their previous tenacity, their passing hasn't been as swift, decisive and deadly as it was in years past under Jason Kreis. I was surprised last year when RSL remained a contender, but maybe that was just RSL keeping it together enough without their coach. Under a different coach and different GM they need to find a new identity, because shadows of the old won't do it.

4. Sounders Take the Cascadia Cup Lead
The Sounders won a six point derby match against Vancouver which also game them the clear lead in the Cascadia cup on Saturday. The Sounders never looked to be in much danger against the 2nd in the west as Chad Barret, in for an injured Obafemi Martins put together a brace. The Sounders didn't move up in MLS rankings, but they did secure their position against an increasingly dangerous San Jose. In the Cascadia cup the Sounders are two points in the lead with one game in hand.

5. San Jose Comfortably Beats Columbus
Columbus looked nasty in their 3-2 win last week, but their match against the Quakes didn't go nearly as smoothly. San Jose has been positively deadly at their new home this year though, dropping only a single game in Avaya, so Columbus is in good company. San Jose shows just what a better coach and young talent can do to help a struggling team to turn things around.

I wish I could say it was surprising. On second thought, with how seriously Central and South America take their futbol, I'm actually fairly surprised.

You expect this sort of thing on the club level, maybe, and usually at smaller clubs, but not for the Brazilian national team. The national team isn't hurting for money the way a South American minnow team might.

The idea of us finishing in a Champions League place while l'Arse are left filling our Thursday night slots in the wilds of Moldova is almost too much for me to handle. Alas, it seems like a pipe dream...

How many times did Gooners beat Spurs this time around? Oh yeah, wait...

But at least there's that!

The idea of us finishing in a Champions League place while l'Arse are left filling our Thursday night slots in the wilds of Moldova is almost too much for me to handle. Alas, it seems like a pipe dream...

But at least there's that!

Here's my take:

We've got a decent starting squad, and once we took off in early winter we were in CL form for sure, and the endurance wasn't there when we were on 4 fronts at once, and our decent starting squad was overworked and we lost all the momentum and never regained it. The problem is that we've got a lot of dead weight that needs to be shed and smarter buying decisions to be made. It seems Levy finally got the clue and Poch has impressed me enough that I'm hopeful we'll do better.

Either that or we'll sell Harry to Madrid and buy Balotelli for twice what we got paid for Harry. Because that's the Spursy thing to do.

So this is my random thoughts on crazy united rumors and what they would mean.

Apparently PSG wants Di Maria for what United paid last year, rather than do that sell him for cash and Cavani. Then sell De Gea and cash for Bale, then buy Lloris.

United's general lineup

ST - Cavani
LW - Depay
RW - Bale (can flip them)
CAM - Rooney
CDM - Blind
CDM - Carrick (Fellaini and Herrera in the mix)
LB - Shaw
CB - Hummels
CB - Jones
RB - Valencia
GK - Lloris.

Young being first off the bench, and os on so forth.

Last edited:
Someone's been reading the tabloids again...

I'm going to assume that Lloris isn't going anywhere, and promptly bury my head in the sand, and mutter "pundits are sh**" repeatedly to myself.

Someone's been reading the tabloids again...

I'm going to assume that Lloris isn't going anywhere, and promptly bury my head in the sand, and mutter "pundits are sh**" repeatedly to myself.

Lloris to United if De Gea leaves is one of the older rumors. May not happen, but it could. United would ideally want to keep De Gea but if Real successfully courts him, then United will find another keeper. Could be Cech, but I would think it's Lloris, could maybe be someone like Begovic or another keeper but my money would be on Lloris. Spurs have pretty much always sold above value, fi they would do it with Modric and Bale thenthey could do it with anyone.

Lloris to United if De Gea leaves is one of the older rumors. May not happen, but it could. United would ideally want to keep De Gea but if Real successfully courts him, then United will find another keeper. Could be Cech, but I would think it's Lloris, could maybe be someone like Begovic or another keeper but my money would be on Lloris. Spurs have pretty much always sold above value, fi they would do it with Modric and Bale thenthey could do it with anyone.

Only way he ends up at United is through some convoluted backdoor trade scheme. No way Spurs sell him to an English team. That's one I'll take to the bank. Should he be sold to PSG and then PSG to United (coordinated or otherwise), that's a possibility that I'd like to pretend doesn't exist. Lloris has carried Spurs more than I'd like to admit.

Only way he ends up at United is through some convoluted backdoor trade scheme. No way Spurs sell him to an English team. That's one I'll take to the bank. Should he be sold to PSG and then PSG to United (coordinated or otherwise), that's a possibility that I'd like to pretend doesn't exist. Lloris has carried Spurs more than I'd like to admit.

Spurs would sell him for the right price. Now would United meet that price, that's a different debate. Depends on how active they are for other players. If they sign Bale, Hummels, Strootman, etc. they won't be able to get Lloris as well.

Spurs would sell him for the right price. Now would United meet that price, that's a different debate. Depends on how active they are for other players. If they sign Bale, Hummels, Strootman, etc. they won't be able to get Lloris as well.

Well, I would agree that any given entity on earth has a price for which they'll do anything. I'd like to hope that Hugo's price tag for an English team is so prohibitive that even Abramovich couldn't afford it.

I'm convinced that Spurs fans get more joy from Arsenal failing than their team succeeding.

I've always said that Spurs would do really well if they stopped worrying so much about Arsenal. They treat every NLD like a cup final and then drop points to west brom the next week. All the while, most of their supporters have more to say about Arsenals performance than their own failings.

http://streamable.com/5ry6

Also just in case anyone didn't see it. Fabregas decided to be cute and fully deserved a straight red, and Costa should have gone off with him.

It's baffling to me that he did this. I shouldn't be shocked cause with nothing to play for the rest of the year I think he felt like he had nothing to lose and was tired of the arguing.

Costa should have been sent off. I missed the game but watched the full highlight. He should have been booked when he straight checked the guy into the ground earlier in the play before sticking his hand in his face.

Fabregas didn't seem to piss off anyone so I wonder if he just said to the WBA players "I was aiming for the ref, sorry I missed" or some **** like that. Cause it could have gone way worse. Someone could have easily knocked him out.

Well that was quick.....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From a red at West Brom to the south of France... in 14 hours <a href="http://t.co/KAH8SjDCH0">http://t.co/KAH8SjDCH0</a> <a href="http://t.co/JIkvaBws0y">pic.twitter.com/JIkvaBws0y</a></p>&mdash; MailOnline Sport (@MailSport) <a href="https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/600668475674222592">May 19, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This weekend is the Monaco grand prix.
We all know Cesc can't be bothered by the last game of the season when there's F1 racing in Monaco....
http://metro.co.uk/2011/05/23/cesc-...fans-twitter-fury-over-spanish-gp-trip-27844/

I can't say I really blame him if this is what he did. You've already won the title, there's literally nothing left to play for. Get a red, miss the next game and go to the massive orgy/party that is Monaco before and after the race, starting your holiday early. It's like calling in sick on the Friday before a three day weekend (not that I've ever done that before ;)).

I can't say I really blame him if this is what he did. You've already won the title, there's literally nothing left to play for. Get a red, miss the next game and go to the massive orgy/party that is Monaco before and after the race, starting your holiday early. It's like calling in sick on the Friday before a three day weekend (not that I've ever done that before ;)).

The league trophy will be presented to them Sunday.

The league trophy will be presented to them Sunday.

Yes, but he doesn't have to play for them to win it, it's already won. I'm not sure Fabregas deliberately tried to get that red, but if he did I can't really blame him for it. Start the party early in Monaco and then head back to Chelsea on Monday to party some more.

I've always said that Spurs would do really well if they stopped worrying so much about Arsenal. They treat every NLD like a cup final and then drop points to west brom the next week. All the while, most of their supporters have more to say about Arsenals performance than their own failings.

Hey man, I'll have you know that they went 1-0-1 in the NLD this season. That entitles them to one poorly made trophy from the same people that do trophies for pub leagues. If they go 2-0-0 they get an open top lorry parade!

Hey man, I'll have you know that they went 1-0-1 in the NLD this season. That entitles them to one poorly made trophy from the same people that do trophies for pub leagues. If they go 2-0-0 they get an open top lorry parade!

I could go for an open top lorry parade...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...cio-pochettino-tells-tottenham-bosses-5730570

Well, Poch is mostly smart, but partly an idiot. Not sure why he wants to keep Lamela around. Although he's better than Roberto "The White Flag" Soldado.

Well, Poch is mostly smart, but partly an idiot. Not sure why he wants to keep Lamela around. Although he's better than Roberto "The White Flag" Soldado.

Soldado and Paulinho were total wastes of money, and the biggest recipients of Bale money IIRC. Thankfully for them, Eriksen was a fantastic bargain it makes up for those 2 bum signings.

Soldado and Paulinho were total wastes of money, and the biggest recipients of Bale money IIRC. Thankfully for them, Eriksen was a fantastic bargain it makes up for those 2 bum signings.

While I completely agree with you, even if his performance has been slightly (marginally somewhat) better, Lamela's price tag was also a huge waste of money.

Of course this muppet has to blame it on the club, not the players: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eeper-Heurelho-Gomes.html?ito=social-facebook

I really do need to avoid the UK football press. Either makes me panic or makes my blood boil. Of course, the US press does it too.

Back