All Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffalupagus

Reaction score
This one is easy... really easy. and oh so tasty :mug:

4.5 gallons Treetop apple juice
4 16 ounce cans Applejuice concentrate (primary)
1 16 ounce can Apple concentrate (bottle carb)
2 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 packet red star montrachet yeast

Add the 4.5 gallons of applejuice to your carboy
warm the 4 cans of concentrate up to room temprature
add the 2 teaspoons of nutrient
stir well

pitch your Montrachet and pop an airlock on there - isolate from air with cheap rotgut vodka.

ferment in primary only for 2 months exactly.

on bottling day, warm the last 16 ounce can of concentrate to room temp and pour it into your 5 gallon racking bucket, carefully rack off Cider from your carboy into this bottling bucket, take care not to splash or it'll cause oxidation, make sure your flow creates a bit of vortex (NO SPLASH!!) to mix in the concentrate.
now...bottle this nectar of the gods.

you should have good carbonation in 2 weeks - the brew is ready to drink then or put some age on it (cannot vouch for aging - My batch is two and a half months old today, just cracked my first one after Carbing and it is supurb.)

Flavor is very Appley, dry and tart (but not unpleasantly so).

cannot list gravities of this (I fly by the seat of my pants) nor can I acurately give an ABV. If any of you pros out there try this one - I'd love to get a run down by the numbers just for my notes. please PM me

what do you mean isolate from air with cheap vodka?

do you mean as an airlock, with tubing coming out of the carboy and into a bottle/cup of vodka? if so, what is this benefit? if not, sorry im very new to this!

thanks!

The airlock lets co2 out, but doesn't let oxygen in. It's a one way valve. Using sanitizer or vodka ensure that bacteria/mold/etc won't grow in the airlock.

what's the alcohol content you get out of this recipe?

i added 120 oz of concentrate to 4.5 gallons of cider and the specific gravity was just below 1.070, if i read it right. so, i'm expecting about 9%, give or take.

thanks!

I got an og of 1.070 on a 1 gallon batch. Should make 8% or so. Be careful with this recipe mine was coming out the airlock after two days.

how did this turn out?

I started 1 gal cranberry/apple (3 May) and 1 gal plain apple (6 May).

They are just about done in primary and they need to age 4 to 6 months.

So far they don't taste bad. I'll let them go dry, bottle carb and sweeten with apple juice to taste when drinking.

Raspberry/Apple and Cherry/Apple are going on the yeast cakes Tuesday (15 May) after I rack.

The ABV should be around 8% if your juice to concentrate ratio is 1 can concentrate (12oz) to 1 gallon of juice. Checked by calculating sugar content and hydrometer.

Maybe a stupid question but follow the directions on the yeast nutrient or the directions in the recipe?
And what kind of apple juice concentrate did you use?

getting ready to try it first time making cider!

This recipe was PHENOMENAL!!

I was in a rush to bring this camping with me and it only spent a 2-3 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in bottles, but It was just perfect.

Give this a shot if you like a good, dry cider.

I'm excited to try this recipe next weekend, though I'm considering boiling 1/2 to 1 gallon on the apple juice with a packet of mulling spices before adding it to the fermenter. I like the idea of a dry, mulled, carbonated cider, and this seems like the most direct way to achieve it. Thoughts? Am I headed towards certain ruin?

Yooper said:
The airlock lets co2 out, but doesn't let oxygen in. It's a one way valve. Using sanitizer or vodka ensure that bacteria/mold/etc won't grow in the airlock.

And keeps out bugs. Living in Texas we have some determined ants, and I did find one not long ago floating in my airlock. It was after my mead, the little jerk!

so you added 1 more can of concentrate when you bottled it? to carb it? did you have to add priming sugar too?

DottyParka said:
I'm excited to try this recipe next weekend, though I'm considering boiling 1/2 to 1 gallon on the apple juice with a packet of mulling spices before adding it to the fermenter. I like the idea of a dry, mulled, carbonated cider, and this seems like the most direct way to achieve it. Thoughts? Am I headed towards certain ruin?

You might want to look into some pectic enzyme.

This is a great core recipe. I'm gonna toy with it a bit and brew this up in the next week I think. I've been searching for something simple that can be bottle carbed.

This is in my fermenter right now. I wanted to know a few things. The last addition of apple concentrate is acting as a priming sugar/ dextrose right? So I will not need to add priming sugar when bottling/carbing correct?

Also, you said primary for two months? My airlock has stopped bubbling and is releasing every 4-5 minutes now (been in almost a week now).

This was an easy, clean, and fast recipe. I just hope it drys out, love a dry cider!

I look forward to your response!

Uncle Addy

This is in my fermenter right now. I wanted to know a few things. The last addition of apple concentrate is acting as a priming sugar/ dextrose right? So I will not need to add priming sugar when bottling/carbing correct?

Correct.

Also, you said primary for two months? My airlock has stopped bubbling and is releasing every 4-5 minutes now (been in almost a week now).

Air lock activity is not a good indication of the end of fermentation. Given a week fermentation has probably not stopped. But to know if it has take a gravity reading and then take another 2-3 days later. If there is no change fermentation has run its course and its time to bottle

base recepie : 5.25 gallons o apple juice 1 can of concentrate and 2lbs brown sugar and I aerated the **** out if it

ive had this fermenting for 2 weeks now and it's still bubbling every 2-3 seconds I used a starter of wyeast 1256 that didn't take off after 3 days so I added a packet of Nottingham my question is how long until the layer of foam goes down? Because its obviously still fermenting

image-3142878864.jpg

And has anyone else had such a long heavy fermentation? I'm worried that It got infected or something during aeration

Danno81 said:
And has anyone else had such a long heavy fermentation? I'm worried that It got infected or something during aeration

I had a cider a few batches back that took 3 weeks for the foam to drop, using hefe yeast.

The batch after that (using Nottingham) only took about a week.

It may be an infection... But I bet it's just the yeast doing their thing. Sometimes they just take a while.

Hey guys, just brewed this one about a week ago, and the bubbles have finally slowed. Just curious if anyone had taken specific reading and figured out what rough ABV is. I like a nice dry, high alcohol cider, so im not sure if I should let this one go or maybe add some sugar now to bump it up. Any info is appreciated

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to this, as it is my first batch of cider! I know the recipie calls for 2 months in primary, but im not sure if I can wait that long!

By Apple juice concentrate, do you mean the frozen stuff you mix with water to make Apple juice?

Is this better than brown sugar?

What nutrient do you use?

columbian said:
By Apple juice concentrate, do you mean the frozen stuff you mix with water to make Apple juice? Is this better than brown sugar? What nutrient do you use?

Yes apple juice concentrate the frozen stuff. I use about 5 gallons if apple juice or apple cider if I can find it. Add 2lbs brown sugar . Then I add 2 oz of yeast nutrient it's like a white crystaly looking powder from my local home brew supply store. And 1 can of concentrate. Te concentrate and sugar being added in the beginning is a flavor additive and a ABV booster. after about 2 weeks it reaches a low enough gravity to keg it. If u bottle it u need to wait at least a month or your going to have a messy explosion of apple cider when u open the bottles. I prefer kegging. When I keg I add 1 can apple concentrate and 2 cans rasbery lemonade concentrate and abound 1.5 lbs of frozen rasberrys . It's amazing like drinking lemonade that will knock your socks off. The ABV has got to be some were between 7% -10%

Hmmm..... I followed this recipe to a t and it is barely carbonated. Im not sure if the yeast died or if the concentrate wasn't enough to carb up? Og 1.07 Fg 1.012 put in fermenter September 10 and bottled November 10 and drinking November 29. It is clear and tastes about right just flat. Any ideas? I checked about 5 bottles.

Do you not carbonate with CO2? Do you need an airlock on the keg for this is it just carbonation happening. How long do you let the keg rest before serving?

Yes apple juice concentrate the frozen stuff. I use about 5 gallons if apple juice or apple cider if I can find it. Add 2lbs brown sugar . Then I add 2 oz of yeast nutrient it's like a white crystaly looking powder from my local home brew supply store. And 1 can of concentrate. Te concentrate and sugar being added in the beginning is a flavor additive and a ABV booster. after about 2 weeks it reaches a low enough gravity to keg it. If u bottle it u need to wait at least a month or your going to have a messy explosion of apple cider when u open the bottles. I prefer kegging. When I keg I add 1 can apple concentrate and 2 cans rasbery lemonade concentrate and abound 1.5 lbs of frozen rasberrys . It's amazing like drinking lemonade that will knock your socks off. The ABV has got to be some were between 7% -10%

Danno81 said:
Of coarse I carb with co2 when I keg it...

Lots of sugar and no airlock mentioned so I was curious if it was natural carbonation. I'm clueless about ciders, just starting to research them. Thanks for the info

I'm making a hard cider using store brought juice 20 litres, 3 jars of honey and a kilo of sugar with 2 pints of very strong tea and around 3 lbs of mixed liquidised apples. I'm using Nottingham yeast as it believe it is better in the cooler climate here right now. Really I'd love to know if I will need to add either Malik acid pectolaise or Camden tablets to my recipe. Any tips would be appreciated as it's my first try.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wouldn't add anything that would stop fermentation until it is we're You want it to be. My ciders ferment dry for quite a long time. I then back sweeten and force carb in my keg. I have never bottled this and have gotten feed back about the lack of carbonation when bottled

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This recipe sounds rather tasty. Does the apple juice concentrate (specifically in the primary) help to increase the apple-yness of the finished product significantly compared to fermenting the same apple juice to dryness, or does it mainly just provide additional fermentables to increase the finished ABV?

I recently finished my first batch of hard cider (from local pressed apples), fermented completely dry (which is how I want it). I'd like more apple flavor, but want to keep it dry, so I'm curious how the concentrate affects this.

This recipe sounds rather tasty. Does the apple juice concentrate (specifically in the primary) help to increase the apple-yness of the finished product significantly compared to fermenting the same apple juice to dryness, or does it mainly just provide additional fermentables to increase the finished ABV?

I recently finished my first batch of hard cider (from local pressed apples), fermented completely dry (which is how I want it). I'd like more apple flavor, but want to keep it dry, so I'm curious how the concentrate affects this.

As far as I can tell it doesn't sweeten it any just enhances the flavor I added my concentrate to the secondary

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I'm making a hard cider using store brought juice 20 litres, 3 jars of honey and a kilo of sugar with 2 pints of very strong tea and around 3 lbs of mixed liquidised apples. I'm using Nottingham yeast as it believe it is better in the cooler climate here right now. Really I'd love to know if I will need to add either Malik acid pectolaise or Camden tablets to my recipe. Any tips would be appreciated as it's my first try.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I back sweeten right before i bottle, then let sit till its carbed to my liking. Usually takes a week. Then i stove top pasturize. There is a great thread about it, but i forgot were. To put it simply, you soak the bottles in 180* for 10 min. Then i let em sit for 3-6 months. Always carb up good.

This one is easy... really easy. and oh so tasty :mug:

4.5 gallons Treetop apple juice

4 16 ounce cans Applejuice concentrate (primary)

1 16 ounce can Apple concentrate (bottle carb)

2 teaspoons yeast nutrient

1 packet red star montrachet yeast

Add the 4.5 gallons of applejuice to your carboy

warm the 4 cans of concentrate up to room temprature

add the 2 teaspoons of nutrient

stir well

pitch your Montrachet and pop an airlock on there - isolate from air with cheap rotgut vodka.

ferment in primary only for 2 months exactly.

on bottling day, warm the last 16 ounce can of concentrate to room temp and pour it into your 5 gallon racking bucket, carefully rack off Cider from your carboy into this bottling bucket, take care not to splash or it'll cause oxidation, make sure your flow creates a bit of vortex (NO SPLASH!!) to mix in the concentrate.

now...bottle this nectar of the gods.

you should have good carbonation in 2 weeks - the brew is ready to drink then or put some age on it (cannot vouch for aging - My batch is two and a half months old today, just cracked my first one after Carbing and it is supurb.)

Flavor is very Appley, dry and tart (but not unpleasantly so).

cannot list gravities of this (I fly by the seat of my pants) nor can I acurately give an ABV. If any of you pros out there try this one - I'd love to get a run down by the numbers just for my notes. please PM me

S

So if I would use actual organic apple cider versus apple juice then what would I have to change if anything? Also I'm guessing I would want to use actual apple juice with no sugars or preservatives correct? Also I did read the you use a can of concentrate as a priming sugar for bottling,is that correct as well? And one more, when using yeast nutrients, do you have to use it together with a starter? I guess my question is I normally just pitch my yeast into the primary. When would you use the nutrients in the process? Thanks in advance.

Back