question about pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
I have my pumpkin ale in my primary and it's been 3 weeks. How important is it to rack to a secondary? I was wondering if I could get by just bottling it up after another week but I know pumpkin ale has quite a bit of trub. Anyone skip the secondary for a pumpkin ale? Thanks!

It really depends on how clear you want it. Another week in the primary and you should be fine to bottle. If you want to get it a little clearer, rack to a secondary.

I guess I'm not that concerned about it clearing up but I do want it to taste good. I was trying to avoid the secondary as well to maybe cut back on more beer loss due to more trub in the secondary. Thoughts?

I actually have a pumpkin in the primary as well, i'm not going to rack to secondary. I was only planning on 3 weeks though in the primary before bottling. I don't think the slight increase in clarity is worth losing a few bottles of beer.

I agree. A good idea would be to crash cool it a day before bottling. Get a big plastic tub and fill it with ice water. Put the carboy into the cold water. Since its such a short time, you dont need to worry about maintaining the cold temp. This crash cool will help precipitate out a lot of gunk and compact the trub layer a bit too.

I'm going for 1 month in primaries and a crash cool before bottling for my partigyle pumpkin ale...Since it's two 2.5 gallon batches, I want to reduce as much trub loss as possible.

My experience has been racking a pumpkin beer is a good idea. At least my pumpkin beers have had a lot of material in the trub that was not your run of the mill yeast, break material, hops, and whatnot trub. I would not want bio material like pumpkin in my beers as I don't think that would age well at all. I know the trend is for primary only fermentation lately, but with fruit beers and spiced beers I really think a secondary is in order. I also think the aging should be done in the secondary carboy to allow for bulk aging. I believe this gives a better flavor profile to beers such as this. Just my .02, take it or leave it.

Latest posts

Back