first 10 gallon batch tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
I finally got around to cutting of the top of my sanke last night and got it all cleaned out tonight. I also modded my burner to move it up closer to the bottom of the keg, it was ridiculously low and I had to crank the gas up to high to get the flame to reach. Also I am brewing my first hefeweizen and wanted to post up the recipe and see what you guys/gals think. This is based on EdWorts recipe.

Recipe: Bavarian Hefeweizen
Brewer: Steve
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.20 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.33 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (45 minHops 10.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (15 minHops 3.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) with starter

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 21.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min strike Add 26.25 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F
0 min Mashout Add 36.00 qt of water at 184.2 F 170.0 F

It went really well. Not much difference from the 5 gallon batches expect I had more time to kill with the 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil. It really went very smooth, I had the right amount of wort into the kettle and came out with exactly 10 gallons when I was done. My numbers where close, I ended up with 1.049 preboil and 1.054 into the fermenters. My only problem was the first 24 hours of fermenting were way to warm, around the 75 degree range. I then cranked the temp all the way up in my second fridge and put the carboys in there, now they are at 62-64 for the remainder of the fermentation. I did take a little sample and while it smells like banana city it didn't taste as strong as it smelled.

Some pics from the day.

burners.jpg

mlt2.jpg

sparge.jpg

The boil:
boil.jpg

Hallertau
hops.jpg

carboys and starsan
carboys.jpg

and into the fermenter
coldbreak2.jpg

All in all, 10 gallon batches are the way to go.

I love doing 10 Gallons myself! My only suggestion is to make sure you have a good chiller. When I started with 10g, I only had a 25 foot copper IC with tap water. It took forever to get my wort down to 70*F.

I love doing 10 Gallons myself! My only suggestion is to make sure you have a good chiller. When I started with 10g, I only had a 25 foot copper IC with tap water. It took forever to get my wort down to 70*F.

With out temps in the high 90's it was a ***** but I have found that whatever my temp is for the coolant I get about 3-4 degrees higher for the exiting wort. As soon as our temps dip in the 80's I should be good.

Latest posts

Back