where do you Raleigh-area folks shop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
I've been going to American Brewmaster in Raleigh. I live west of Chapel hill about 12 miles, so it's over an hour drive. I suppose I should just get some better storage containers and buy in bulk.... and buy a grain mill... and

Hey Nathan

Where are you?

I'm between Hillsborough and CH.

Locally I go to American Brewmaster or, closer, is
the Durham Brewmaster Store.

A lot of times I just buy online as the cost shipping is equal to or less than the gas and time to get to either of those stores.

We really need a store on the southwest side:)

American Brewmaster is the best, hands down. I've never had any luck with the Durham store. A grain mill is the way to go, now that I have one I just stock up every time.

I'm actually west of CH about 12 miles, so it is a loooong drive in for me. I'm south from graham about 12 miles on 87, west of chapel hill, north of pittsboro (middle of nowhere). I seem to find plenty of "excuses" to go all the way in to American Brewmaster, though. :)

Does anyone order grains online? Once I swap completely I could do that, I had just figured that big bags of grain would cost enough to be prohibitive to ship. How long do they last un-milled if you seal them in containers? It's 47 miles from my house, so it's at least 4 gallons of gas at current prices ($14). If I can order online and save that much including the shipping, I might as well.

Yesterday my stir-plate and flasks arrived. :)

Man, I thought I lived out in the country. Though you're probably about 10-15 minutes from me.

I don't have a grain mill, but if I did I'd certainly split sacks with you.

I work in Morrisville, so I try to schedule my trips to AB during a lunch cut down on some of the time/expense. But that still takes up the majority of a lunch period.

sounds good! I should be running by summertime

Hey Nathan, et. al.,

I live in Chatham and work in H'boro. I got my original equipment and first few kits from the Durham store and enjoyed my visits there, but the math doesn't work out to drive there to get supplies.

The best place I've found is MoreBeer out of California. They ship free for orders over $59. Austin Homebrew Supply has flat rate shipping of $6.99, so still cheaper than the gas to drive to the "L"HBS.

Good luck! It's great to hear from the home boys on the site.

American Brewmaster is where I got my start in this obsession 11 yrs ago !

As for bulk grains, check with one of your local brewpubs and see if you can add a bag or twenty to their next order. It will cut the shipping costs from buying a single bag from a distributor and shipping to your house.

Our local hombrewing club out here does a bulk grain order once or twice a year through a local brewpub, we usually fill a pallet ourselves, before grain price hikes I was averaging about $0.60 a pound.

Back