Boils On Now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoot

Reaction score
The wort for our first brew is boiling! Need some help real quick though. The recipe we're going off of calls for Brown Sugar...when should we add that in??

Scoot said:
The wort for our first brew is boiling! Need some help real quick though. The recipe we're going off of calls for Brown Sugar...when should we add that in??

I'm still a novice and only have 1 brew under my belt but i would assume during the last 15 mins, to avoid carmelization and to sanitize. I'm probably wrong though.

firepunk said:
I'm still a novice and only have 1 brew under my belt but i would assume during the last 15 mins, to avoid carmelization and to sanitize. I'm probably wrong though.
You're not wrong, rather, you're right :p
15 mins is long enough to be totally sure it's sanitized, but short enough you shouldn't get much caramelization.

Just make sure to add it carefully, stirring constantly, to avoid burning onto the bottom of the pot, just like you do with extract.

I'd go with 15 minutes from the end.

And no more than 1lb of brown sugar, lest you create 'cidery' flavors in the beer.

Back