GABF Winners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwjester

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here (pdf) are the winners of this year's Great American Beer Festival. So who's favorite store bought beers are in there? I'm glad to see Steamwork's Steam Engine Lager and O'dell's Easy Street Wheat represented.

Nice to see Summit EPA and Surly Coffee Bender make the list. Very cool to see Herkimer's Alt take a gold! It's nice to see local brewpubs win some awards.

I got to see it announced in person :D

Good to see the locals get 3 medals and two pretty good brews from the rest of the state medal a bronze and a gold!

Yeah I went to Redrock last night after seeing the winners. The beer and food where great, but just stay away from the oatmeal stout. It was really thin with no flavor. Just my 2c.

Hopper31 said:
Yeah I went to Redrock last night after seeing the winners. The beer and food where great, but just stay away from the oatmeal stout. It was really thin with no flavor. Just my 2c.

cheers! :mug:

If you're lookin' to doing some pubbin' and beer analysis, hit me up. I think Jen @ squatters has a decent sour beer, as well as a cask-fresh batch of vienna from the GABF. I do like that lager...

Yeah for sure it is hard enough trying to find a good beer (or people who like good beer) in Utah. Sadly I haven’t been to squatters yet, but i need to get down there

Our local brewpub won 2 medals, Thunder Canyon Brewery in Tucson. One for their Doble Diablo, basically it's a dopplebock. They call it a lager with double the ingredients. The other medal was for their Amber Lager.

This place makes some great beers. Their IPA is delicious as well. Good thing for me they're only a mile away.

I see Icehouse also won a gold! Icehouse? seriously? Isn't there a better American Specialty Lager than Icehose? If not, I need to get moving on a business plan because that is some BAD beer.

I'm sad none of our local guys got a medal in the ProAm, since they had 7 of the 49 entries. Oh well, maybe next year.

-D

Did I read right or did Lone Star win a Gold? My friends rag on me for being a beer snob but still guzzling Lone Star in the summertime. Am I now a total snob for my $3.99 a sixer summertime habit? :tank:

I'm not sure why people don't understand that less-than-challenging beers won the less-than-challenging styles.

If James Beard handed out awards for best individually wrapped snack cake with a shelf life of 25 years, would we be shocked that Twinkie sweeps the category?

olllllo said:
I'm not sure why people don't understand that less-than-challenging beers won the less-than-challenging styles.

less than challenging style? the lighter the beer the more apparent the flaws are going to be. Any F-ups and they will stick out like a sore thumb. You dont have the hops or malts to hide any imperfections.

just saying is all

Actually, I've made twinkees before. It really isn't all that hard. Much like homebrew, it tastes better if you make it yourself. Also, you can hack the recipe until it tastes the way you think it should.
As for the discount beers winning, I don't know how the voting goes, or who picks the winner, but I'd guess if it is attendees, then you are going to get a lot of "beer" fans who want their favorites to win.

rdwj said:
How the hell does Old Style win? By Americal Style Cream do they mean "Tastes like ****"?

Actually, funny you should ask that. A friend of mine just got back from Japan a few weeks ago, and who should he bump into and drink at the bar with than the Brewmaster for Pabst brewing in Asia. They went into some in-depth details about having to substitute rice for other grains but keep the taste the same, but when it got to the hop rate they kept everything exactly the same. Why? Because that little extra bit of hops outdoes the competition.

I guess that's a second-hand story, but I thought it was intriguing.

uwjester said:
As for the discount beers winning, I don't know how the voting goes, or who picks the winner, but I'd guess if it is attendees, then you are going to get a lot of "beer" fans who want their favorites to win.

It's blind judging, I think by BJCP certified judges as well.

It's blind judging, I think by BJCP certified judges as well.

Well, that's kind of interesting too. Do they drink a whole beer or is it like a wine tasting where they spit out the mouthful after the test. I've had a few beers in my life where the first drink was pretty good only to degrade to terrible at the end of the bottle.

uwjester said:
Well, that's kind of interesting too. Do they drink a whole beer or is it like a wine tasting where they spit out the mouthful after the test. I've had a few beers in my life where the first drink was pretty good only to degrade to terrible at the end of the bottle.

BJCP judges drink only a sip or two from each beer. They spend a lot of time looking at clarity, carbonation, head retention, smelling the aroma, and finally tasting before filling out a score sheet based on the style and style subcatagory.

Yep, you get just a few ounces, and you take it from there. Judging is serious business, not a happy hour. Ed should know, too. He judged a bunch at the Dixie Cup this past weekend. I've been judging for about 4.5 years, myself, and I'm still a pup at it.

TL (BJCP Certified)

uwjester said:
Actually, I've made twinkees before. It really isn't all that hard. Much like homebrew, it tastes better if you make it yourself. Also, you can hack the recipe until it tastes the way you think it should.

I eagerly await the posting of this recipe in the Cooking and Pairings Forum as well as a beer pairing suggestion. :D

olllllo said:
I eagerly await the posting of this recipe in the Cooking and Pairings Forum as well as a beer pairing suggestion. :D

name that movie quote pop quiz!!

"Want a twinkie, Genghis Khan?"

Woohoo! I've got a Hopsickle in the refrigerator! Little did I know. Looks like I've got a new project for tonight.

Also, the gold and silver for Pale Ales are both outstanding - my two favorites I've ever tried. The Firestone Walker Pale Ale is my very favorite beer overall and the Piranha at BJ's makes their iffy spicy chicken pizza taste very, very good:mug:

Back