Easy (lazy) siphon sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nameless

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just ultra lazy, but I got really tired of flipping, spraying, or slowly running starsan on or through all those tall things that stick up above the waterline in a 5 gallon bucket....autosiphon, thief, etc. So I picked up a large piece of PVC pipe and a cap, glued them together, and for $7 I can now completely submerge everything.

IMG_20130217_220948.jpg

Great idea. Many people use a wallpapering tray for this but that don't have them at the local hardware store, so I might build one of these. I think I just need a cap...

That's cool :)

the other thing i saw somewhere (brewgeeks i think) was to lie them down in a big flat rectangular tub thingie. The kind that are made for "under bed storage"

Sheldon I just bought those two pieces you see there on a whim while grabbing some unrelated stuff at Lowe's. I did a quick search of their website and the smallest segment I saw was 5', but the Lowe's here in town had stuff shorter than that. I did have to cut off a bit of the racking cane as it didn't fit all the way down, but it functions fine.

I didn't think of the paint pans until after I read the posts here though, and I think I might move to that. I just bought a Fastrack and had this crazy vision of some piping that would allow me to pump sanitizer into all the bottles at once. A fun excuse to learn how to buy a torch and sweat copper, right?

I was at either HD and they only had 2' or 10' section. I have a plumber friend bringing me a 3' 4" diameter piece. That should be long and wide enough for my racking can and beer/wine thief. Not sure what else I would need to put in there.

Works great until it falls over while full of solution. ;)

I just use cheap rectangular tubs and just put a couple inches in the bottom and soak the siphons/thief/paddle

I use this kind of window box container and it works very well. The 'hole' for drainage is only there once you pop out the insert, so just didn't pop it out :D. They also make a 24" and 30" variety for 1 or 2 dollars cheaper. I've found that a gallon of sanitizer fills it up plenty to put everything I need into it and have it totally submerged (SS racking cane, silicone hose, stoppers, airlocks, etc.). Plus the construction is rigid enough so that it's not floppy; more rigid than their fiskars window boxes (which also work good by the way).

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25e...h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1

Edit: It's called a 36" liner but it's actually 31.6" (it just fits inside a 36" wood window box)

I just spray down the outside of my autosiphon and pump it once or twice with the end in my bucket to push sanitizer through the tubing. Takes a couple seconds. I love the creative solutions, but I really don't think the problem exists.

Back