How long does a smack pack last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkatuw

Reaction score
I visited Northern Brewery's store-front in St. Paul over the weekend and among other things bought 2 extract kits. Last night I was brewing one of them and grabbed a smack pack from the fridge and smacked it before starting the brew session. Not until it was time to pitch the yeast did I realize that there were two different kinds of yeast and of course I grabbed the wrong one.

The first smack pack was completely inflated, but I just threw it back in the fridge. Family is visiting next weekend, so I probably won't have time to brew, so it probably won't be until 2 weeks from now that I brew next. Will the smack pack be ok for 2 weeks after it's already been activated?

P.S. Finished the phat tyre extract kit last night and woke up this morning to a nice krausen...can't wait to drink it.

I would definitely make a starter with it. Although it has never happened to me, I have heard stories of smack packs swellling to the point of bursting. They dont pop like a balloon or anything, just pop out a corner or something and then all your yeast ooze is all over your counter/fridge whatever. Anyway, boil a couple cups of water with half a cup of DME, cool it to room temp, put it in a mason jar/apple juice bottle/etc and add your yeast. It can stay like that for a long time.

I'd agree with these guys and say that you're looking at a starter pretty much no matter what, so you might as well help your yeasties out and make it now, give them a healthier longer-term environment.

I was lazy and wanted to get some brewing in on Monday after my mother-in-law left and didn't have time to make a starter, so I figured I'd just take the smack pack (which I smacked last week) out of the fridge and let it warm up while I got everything ready to brew. A little over 2 hours later I pitched the yeast and less than 10 hours later I had a good krausen in the fermenter.

I've done 3 batches in the last 3 weeks and I'm starting to think that brewing is really forgiving...although I haven't had a chance to taste any of my beer yet, so I guess I can't get too excited yet.

I already used it on Monday night and by Tuesday morning it was chugging away doing it's think with about an inch of krausen. I'm guessing that everything will be ok.

Gosh, I have to say, I smacked one at about... 7pm, and couldn't cool my wort quickly, so I pitched yesterday morning at maybe 7:15am... by the time I got home at 8pm, it was ROARING. It's still rockin away, and it's 1:30pm...

Back