Brewing Coconut Porter, do I have to sanitize the flaked coconut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italynstallyn44

Reaction score
I am brewing a Coconut Porter. I am going to add 24 oz. of unsweetened flaked coconut in the secondary. I plan on roasting the coconut in a frying pan before adding it to the secondary. Is this sufficient for sanitizing or do I need to do anything else?

Also how long would you suggest leaving it on the coconut in the secondary? I was going to do 7-10 days.

I think the fry pan will sanitize it sufficiently. 7-10 days seems it bit long to me -- you don't want the coconut to overwhelm the other flavors.

I just made one of these, and I baked the coconut in the oven at 325F for 15 minutes. I cannot say that I am a huge fan of the final product, but it did not get infected.

I let it secondary for 14 days with the coconut. It is still a very faint flavor, and I would recommend doing at least as long.

I had good success with oven toasted coconut in the fermenter for a week. It's best fresh but leaves a distinct character behind even with age.

Pan or oven toasting is more than enough to sanitize the coconut (which is probably not necessary anyway, IMHO). I also did a 14 day secondary, and there is a distinct nuttiness to the final beer, but it is in no way overwhelming.

Be prepared for an odd mouthfeel, and zero head retention from the oils in the coconut. It still tasted very good, but I had wondered if I were to ever to do the recipe again whether or not I might experiment with a vodka extraction technique to see how it worked out that way.

Back