AHS - Mini-Mash Dry vs Mini-Mash Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Looking at the AHS kits... just tried the extract which is so far coming along nicely.

However, still an extract, read it affects flavour and not as much control overall vs the mini-mash and full grain. I guess because it's a somewhat generic extract made for a range of beer types.

I don't have the equipment for full grain so wanted to try the mini mash. Assuming all I need extra is the nylon bag for steeping, however, looking on AHS I see that some kits offer dry or liquid mini-mash.

So, of course now wondering, what's the difference between dry and liquid (in terms of taste and preparation) and difference between liquid mash and extract.

Not sure about taste. I've read that liquid can taste thinner or have a twang or bite to it, but I can't say for sure. I prefer dry because it is easier to handle and use. Much less messy too. And I LOVE the AHS mini mash kits. Super easy and they pack everything so nicely.

Ya, I tried the AHS extract kit when I bought 30qt pot from them (no one locally sells them and the few that did wanted 3x more) and the kit was great.

I'd like to try all-grains but, more equipment, skill, and I live in a small apartment so, space is an issue. The mini-mash looks like a good in-between kit. Eyeing up the Corona style beer next, never saw the mini-mash liquid as an option before. I'll probably buy a nylon bag and go dry.

I just ordered 2 on Friday so I guess I'll find out. I'm still confused as to what the difference is between a liquid mini-mash and a liquid extra kit is.

However, still an extract, read it affects flavour and not as much control overall vs the mini-mash and full grain. I guess because it's a somewhat generic extract made for a range of beer types.

Yeah, extract is basically just a nice go between. Most of the AHS kits come along with additional steeping grains that add on to the extract to actually make it a particular style. Pale/extra pale is generally just 2-row malt and maybe a little carapils for head retention. Amber is normally 2-row with a crystal malt addition to give it a little color. Dark is the next step up, 2-row with some roasted malts perhaps.

I don't have the equipment for full grain so wanted to try the mini mash. Assuming all I need extra is the nylon bag for steeping, however, looking on AHS I see that some kits offer dry or liquid mini-mash.

The mini-mash just adds some base grains (2-row, maris otter, etc.) with some enzymatic activity to your steeping grains. Now you've got to keep the grains at 152-156 (roughly, depending on how fermentable you want it) for an hour to convert the starches inside the grains to sugars. Do a quick search for Deathbrewer's stove top partial mash pictorial. All you need is a loose nylon sack (I like the 5 gal paint strainer bags) to put your grains in for the mash, then a second pot to rinse the grains.

For your choice of extract, dry is generally a little more expensive than liquid, but it keeps a lot longer. Liquid extract ages as it sits around, turning a darker color and some people say it can get off-flavors. However, I've never had a problem with AHS liquid extracts as they do a pretty good amount of business so the extract you get is really fresh. If you are looking for a lighter beer however (like the corona) the dry is probably up your alley since I've had much better luck with lighter beers staying light with dry.

As erikpete18 said - mini-mash (aka partial mash) does NOT just mean steeping. You will need to tweak your system a bit as it requires extra time, and to a small degree extra hardware, to brew a mini-mash correctly. Deathbrewer is definitely the right way to go...his stovetop system (with pics) is an easy learning process.

Back