The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy Ho!

I've been here for over 20 years. The river keeps it's namesake. It's been a battle with beavers ever since I've been here. Surprised how quickly they shut it down with all the mediation. They just updated the website. Price was misprinted and they added "why is no one working down there?" To the faq. Kind of surprised initially they didn't cement the top and the amount of large trucks over that thing it didn't go down.

Anyways, an interesting adventure

https://instagram.com/koelbus?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Stow is halfway to nowhere and under normal circumstances four breweries should be fine.
That said, if we get all mobbed up by apple pickers that day who knows what might happen...

Cheers!

I know brewing can be unpredictable but you're lucky with beer festivals around here posting participating breweries. There was a cask festival in Boston that sounded interesting. I asked what breweries were participating. The reply back was "don't worry it's going to be awesome"

I know brewing can be unpredictable but you're lucky with beer festivals around here posting participating breweries. There was a cask festival in Boston that sounded interesting. I asked what breweries were participating. The reply back was "don't worry it's going to be awesome"
If you're thinking about the NERAX festival, I can confirm that it is always awesome. dozens of breweries represented, from here and across the pond.

If you're thinking about the NERAX festival, I can confirm that it is always awesome. dozens of breweries represented, from here and across the pond.
Yes. That's the one. I always heard of the one in England. They postponed this year's one for the reason of supply chain issues. I did see a bunch of head brewers I follow attended. Maybe next year.

Well I wondered why my HBT was unavailable (due to power outage) for a short spell....

1692790643579.png

Also, I think @paulthenurse finagled his NASA connections to get a quick overhead view of the Chicken Fried He Shed from the space station...

Alas, sad news to report, 2 weeks ago I was working in the shed and let the girls out. The wandered over th the neighbor's yard and some predators or group of predators grabbed all of them. Billy called me up and said "I think your chickens are in trouble, there are feathers all over my back yard."
Bunches of blood feathers all around the yard, not a chicken body to be found.
I haven't decided about getting more, I know this sound silly but it's kind of traumatic

Maybe they can keep Jimmy company

scraped, flap/belt sanded, primed, first of two topcoats painted. It was not cool today. Carefully trying to re-hydrate the approximately 12.7 gallons of perspiration lost in the endeavor with water. I do of course prefer water that has been filtered through a brewery first (Whaler's Rise APA in this case).
1693859618857.png

1693859651814.png

1693859674301.png

(pay no attention to what looks suspiciously like a paint spill caused by Joseph tripping over his own damned feet)

Oh, and it's summer, so snacky wacky time
1693859749356.png

Happy LDay folks.

PTN, sorry to hear about the demise of your flock. Just guessing with bodies gone either pack o dogs or a coyote or two. Do you have coyotes around? Or the neighbor's dog killed them and the dog's owner hid the evidence to avert unpleasantness & such. Raccoons tend not to remove multiple carcasses, they tend to eat heads and necks of multiple chickens and leave most of bodies semi intact. Reason why they do this, I've been told, is they get off on eating the birds' adrenal glands. Won't go into our chicken carnage stories, but can relate.

Hoppy B, I agree it is not silly.

Balrog, cograts on the Bilco, looks great. On one hand one might wonder weather that was worth spending a day of life on that sort of project, on the other hand, what else did you have to do? I've engaged in such nonsense many times and on larger scale, have not learned lesson yet. Hope you used hearing protection and respirator. Snack looks yummy.

'Tripper, you're getting around and having a good one, here's to you. Your pictures almost make that squalid town inviting, but I'm not fooled. Maybe reconsider bulkhead restoration if any rust creeping up from bottom. Go out with family to beer garden instead.

Incoming!

1694196093512.png

Man, that was intense. Uber high straight line winds and virtually white-out levels of rain.
Surprised we didn't lose power or trees so far!

Next door neighbor lost a big pine across the road. Town crew was on it in minutes!

20230908_150252.jpg

Last edited:
I was making a Honkers Ale clone and that mess totally missed me. But the deer tore down 4 more sunflowers so I moved the fence out in hopes of saving the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpeg
    IMG_3361.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3364.jpeg
    IMG_3364.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3365.jpeg
    IMG_3365.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I tried growing a swath of sunflowers next to our pond for a few years, but between birds and critters pulling the seedlings out of the ground, the wood chucks lopping the buds off, and the deer simply reaching over the fencing to browse, I never got a single seed head to maturity and gave it up...

I tried growing a swath of sunflowers next to our pond for a few years, but between birds and critters pulling the seedlings out of the ground, the wood chucks lopping the buds off, and the deer simply reaching over the fencing to browse, I never got a single seed head to maturity and gave it up...
My first attempt was straight Monty Python sketch. Plant seeds. Birds eat them. Plant seeds and cover. Bunnies eat sprouts. Plant seeds and bunny size fence. Woodchuck eats small plants. Bigger fence. Deer. I’m about to look into land mines.

News is chock full of towns that got creamed, especially Acton just to the north-east of us.
[edit] Actually the line of damage runs all the way up to Andover!
Lots of trees down, cars squashed, commuter rail is pretty much shut down. Fun!
Another wave is inbound...

You ok?
Been a rough evening out your way - "life threatening floods" (yikes!)
Route 2 pretty much shut down around Leominster & Fitchburg due to major flooding.
I can picture a couple of underpasses in that area that could hold a crapton of water - #99 for sure...

Last edited:
You ok?
Been a rough evening out your way - "life threatening floods" (yikes!)
Route 2 pretty much shut down around Leominster & Fitchburg due to major flooding.
I can picture a couple of underpasses in that area that could hold a crapton of water - #99 for sure...
WE joke around our immediate area that the weather seems to pull a Moses-parts-the-Red-Sea as it passes us.
All around is a mess but the last big mess we actually had hit us was the 2011 tornado right through my neighborhood, then the straight line thing, then the Oct SnowGasm & 8 Day Power Outage Soiree.

Oh, and two "once in a lifetime" water table rising through basement slab floor events that really help with the mild hoarding we suffer.

Watching the WCVB evening news tonite and holy cow mass destruction along 117 in Leominster.
Really never considered Central Mass subject to such damaging flooding but there we are...

So going to Octoberfest and drinking beer probably saved my life on Saturday.

I was at Silvaticus when that windstorm came thru.

I usually park my car where the kayak is. A 1' thick oak branch 50' above it snapped and for the life of me can't figure out how it got on the other side of that big 100' white pine in the middle. The branch probably weighs a ton. The white pine was weeping sap 30' up. So I'm guessing the wind was so strong it blew it mid air into the pine and rotated around on the other side. There's no dent or sliding in the ground to show where it landed other than the snapped area. No dage to kayak

To beer!!
PXL_20230913_152949794~2.jpg
PXL_20230911_175103764.jpg

Last edited:
Glad the hurricane was no show, boats still in the slip(newburyport).. no wind damage here in Reading, weve actually missed most of the nasty weather, plenty of rain but that's it,
Found this intruder by my goldfish pond.. I hate snakes!

Attachments

• 20230917_101111.jpg
    20230917_101111.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
This rain poopy is starting to get old.
I was gonna go fishing tomorrow but I'm pretty sure the NH river I was thinking of will be totally blown out...

1695094279132.png

Yeah, I'm gonna have to sharpen the mower blades.
Again!
I'm usually doing the baked out back yard with a casual look by this time of year. Instead, I'm having to mow more than once a week to keep up with the whole "welcome to the jungle" theme.
Sans Slash.

GONNA RAIN FOR DAYS, they said
BUILD AN ARK they said
NO WAY YOU AND THE WIFE CAN GO ON A BIKE RIDE TODAY they said

I had to go out and water the grass I planted yesterday.
Stupid weather report.

1695494390062.png

[Edit: apologies to @paulthenurse for the incessant weather related posting, I'll send extra socks at Masstoberfest time]

Latest posts

Back