Verizon iPhone?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone else going crazy over this like I am?

I've never had a smart phone, and never wanted one until recently. I finally decided I want one bad, and came REALLY close to leaving Verizon for Sprint to get the Droid Incredible and have a much cheaper bill, but decided I'm not willing to give up Verizon's far superior coverage. So I then decided to get the same phone for Verizon, but don't want to pull the trigger and then have them announce the iPhone, which I REALLY REALLY want, right after I spend all that money!

I'm a huge Apple guy - won't buy a PC ever again - but never bought the iPhone because of AT&T's horrible reputation. I have about 20 friends with AT&T iPhones, and they all txt all day because they can barely ever make a full phone call without dropping it.

Please tell me someone on here works for Apple or Verizon and can at least hint that my long, annoying wait is finally almost over!!!

I don't work for either company but there are very strong rumors it will be on the Verizon network in 1st quarter 2011.

You could always buy a used phone for the time being and then you aren't locked into a 2 year contract. The android phones are pretty nice. I like the Droid 2.

They always say a Verizon iPhone is just around the corner. Last year it was the beginning of 2010, then it was the fall, now its 1st quarter 2011. I doubt it will happen. Verizon and Apple are both companies with big egos. Verizon wants too much control over the phones, and Apple isn't willing to give up any control. I gave up on Verizon anyways, just too damn expensive.

Is anyone else going crazy over this like I am?

I've never had a smart phone, and never wanted one until recently. I finally decided I want one bad, and came REALLY close to leaving Verizon for Sprint to get the Droid Incredible and have a much cheaper bill, but decided I'm not willing to give up Verizon's far superior coverage. So I then decided to get the same phone for Verizon, but don't want to pull the trigger and then have them announce the iPhone, which I REALLY REALLY want, right after I spend all that money!

I'm a huge Apple guy - won't buy a PC ever again - but never bought the iPhone because of AT&T's horrible reputation. I have about 20 friends with AT&T iPhones, and they all txt all day because they can barely ever make a full phone call without dropping it.

Please tell me someone on here works for Apple or Verizon and can at least hint that my long, annoying wait is finally almost over!!!

From what I have heard, it is likely to be ANNOUNCED in January. I would guess availability would be sometime in the spring. It's all only a bunch of rumors though. Nothing is known for sure. People are saying it will support LTE (4G) which will not be widespread on VZW until later 2011 if that means anything. Again, it is all just hearsay. No one knows for sure other than the big shots at Apple and VZW.

The iphone, no matter what carrier is a overpriced piece of junk

I hate Macs. I hate the way Apple runs their business and thinks they know what is best for you. I hate all the Apple fan boys that cheer every time Steve Jobs farts.

But... there is no arguing that the iPhone is a great phone with a lot of cutting edge technology stuffed into it.

From what I have heard, it is likely to be ANNOUNCED in January. I would guess availability would be sometime in the spring.

That's what I keep finding everywhere online. I'm really leaning towards leaving Verizon on principle, but when it comes down to it, I blame Apple more than Verizon. AT&T was clearly a mistake, and a lot of talk seems to point to the iPhone not only coming to Verizon, but all the major carriers.

I'm thinking switching to Sprint isn't such a bad idea, if the iPhone is also coming there. But I'm so nervous about losing Verizon's coverage. They are expensive for a reason: they are far better than every other service.

As for being a "Mac fan-boy", the product convinced me. I hate being on a PC. Had my Mac for two years, haven't had a single problem with it. It is a far superior computer if you are willing to pay extra for the superiority; I am. I want to have my computer, my music device and my cellphone all seamlessly linked, and I need the damn iPhone to do that! ;)

It's happening, from what I've been reading in the first half of '11 and possibly the irst quarter. Wall street is even taking note of the potential impact to Apple and some analysts have raised their price to over 400 per share based on the alliance with Verizon. When wall street gets involved it's only a matter of time.

Depends on really what you're looking at doing. If you want a smartphone now, whats wrong with one of the Android line?

I too, really, really wanted an iPhone and waited patiently to see if they would come out with a Verizon version this year but it never happened. Rumor has it that one will come out early in 2011 for Verizon, but I ended up going with a Droid X.

Couldn't. Be. Happier..! Screen is large, sure, but its well worth it. Streaming, web browsing, etc.

The reason I'm hooked on getting the iPhone is to have everything Apple for ease of use and compatibility. My father has the Droid X, and I actually like it, plus a few people at work have the Incredible and I REALLY like that phone. The X is a little too big for me, I'm not willing to have a big clip on my belt or wear cargo pants all the time. ;) If they don't announce the iPhone within a few weeks of the new year, I'm getting the Incredible.

Android truly is awesome. If you do not wait for the iphone, and do go to Sprint, do yourself a favor and don't get the Droid Incredible, get the EVO.

I bought an HTC with the Android OS. I love it. When I get back for mid-tour in March I have the option to upgrade. I am going with the new droid. It can act as a hotspot for up to five devices. Now I don't have to upgrade my iPad to a 3G version. I have a computer at work that does all of my desktop-ish work so I am not going to upgrade my laptop either. I have an old system that I can send files to from my iPad to print so with the new Droid and my iPad I can scrap one more piece of crap I have to lug around when I travel.

I was in a Verizon store the other night picking up a USB cable and while I was waiting, played with the iPad they were selling.

That indicates (to me) that the iPhone is on its way. Just a question of when.

I picked up a Droid Incredible and LOVE it. I see no reason to wait for an IPhone. I got mine for 25 bucks with upgrade and private sale coupon.

I hear Amazon was recently selling them for a penny with a long contract.

Around my work, there are yellow post it notes in random places. These are the AT&T "hotspots", the only places where you can get any AT&T service.

I cruise around freely answering my phone and enjoying 3g everywhere on my Droid X.

I am a fanboy of no company, but since the last software update I love my phone and have no desire to switch to an iPhone. When I first got my phone, wifi and battery life sucked but the software updates have fixed those for me. I own zero Mac products so I really don't see the point. It's not that I dislike Apple, just never felt the need to shell out the ridiculous amounts of money.

I love my Iphone, I just don't like AT&T all that much. As to Verizon getting the Iphone, my understanding is they are getting a different model if it goes that way. Only way to get around the exclusivity contract Apple has with AT&T.

for me the thing with the iphone and apple in general is the vertical integration of their products, imac, macbook, iphone, ipad, etc all work pretty flawlessly together... the same cannot be said when mixing brands....

at&t takes alot of flak for bandwidth and other issues, the reality is, whatever carrier apple partnered with would have faced the over capacity pipeline issues merely out of the number of devices in the marketplace combined with a userbase who is gobbling up data faster than the pipes can be built to carry it.

I've been using Verizon for about ten years. I am so-so on their customer service but very fond of the coverage. I also hear these rumors of the iphone coming. Well, I guess we'll see if and when that happens and how the Verizon network handles it.

I'd be interested in switching over to an iphone if it happens. I hear good things about the Droid phones which makes me curious about those, too. I have one of the first Verizon touchscreen phones from 2008 and really love the touchscreen functionality. My beef with Verizon is that stupid VZW network that they require you to use to download apps to their phones (at least with the pre-droid phones). I wouldn't bother wasting my money or time getting either an android-based phone or an iphone if Verizon is going to limit my access to all the features that make the phone awesome. For now I'm going to keep using my current phone until it craps out (which seems to be coming very soon) or Verizon releases the iphone.

at&t takes alot of flak for bandwidth and other issues, the reality is, whatever carrier apple partnered with would have faced the over capacity pipeline issues merely out of the number of devices in the marketplace combined with a userbase who is gobbling up data faster than the pipes can be built to carry it.

Playing world's smallest violin app on my droid. I bet they still cash your check every month though. I know they did when I was on ATT, even though I couldn't call customer service because I had no bars. :(

When we canceled our ATT, we notified them 60 days in advance via phone twice, and once in person. We switched to Verizon.

When our ATT was supposed to be done... we kept getting bills.. and a bunch of "late" fees amongst other fees.

Their reasoning for continued bills: "Well, people were still trying to call that number."

ATT can suck it.

My beef with Verizon is that stupid VZW network that they require you to use to download apps to their phones (at least with the pre-droid phones). I wouldn't bother wasting my money or time getting either an android-based phone or an iphone if Verizon is going to limit my access to all the features that make the phone awesome.

Supposedly, this is what led to the AT&T exclusivity contract in the first place. Verizon thought they had the leverage to force this restriction on the iPhone, Apple called their bluff, and aswe see now, Apple won. All the analysts are saying that Verizon needs the iPhone far more than Apple needs Verizon.

So I don't see the iPhone having any restrictions on it with Verizon. The App Store is just too developed for Apple to accept a Verizon iPhone that doesn't use it. I see Verizon getting the phone with zero control over it.

And PS...

I found a friend on Facebook who is selling the original Droid for $100. I'm picking it up today. The way I look at it, I get to test out the Android phones to see if I like them better, I get a smartphone while I wait for the iPhone, I can wait to see if the iPhone is worth buying if they release it, and I lock in an unlimited web contract before Verizon gets rid of that option like AT&T did.

And PS...

I found a friend on Facebook who is selling the original Droid for $100. I'm picking it up today. The way I look at it, I get to test out the Android phones to see if I like them better, I get a smartphone while I wait for the iPhone, I can wait to see if the iPhone is worth buying if they release it, and I lock in an unlimited web contract before Verizon gets rid of that option like AT&T did.

I hope it's not too late, but that is a VERY high price for that phone.

I know your an apple guy so I doubt any of this talk with change your mind but the iphone is locked up like a 15th century chastity belt.

I personally don't like being locked into to using something like itunes to manage my phone, mp3s, apps etc...

As I understand, you can't even mount the iphone as a drive without installing something from apple, itunes I am guessing.

In the same vein as sony, they lock their customers into buying and eating from their hands.

Keep in mind that the android os is a open source linux based os and that macos is just a customized version of freebsd that they charge you for.

I also would advise against the D1.

A lot of the newer software (games, multimedia) is starting to get increasingly processor heavy and the D1 is quite antiquated. On top of that, there are notorious keyboard 'bubbling' issues with that line. (Co-worker replaced 4!)

I personally don't like being locked into to using something like itunes to manage my phone, mp3s, apps etc...

I totally understand where you are coming from, but there's two things I consider in why I stick with Apple:

I hate PC's because of the attacks you have to constantly endure by potential viruses, pop ups, etc. Couldn't take it anymore. So I bought a Mac. Now that I have a Mac, itunes is not only free for me, but integrated. So obviously I am not turned off the to program, I have no reason to be.

Second:

Keep in mind that the android os is a open source linux based os and that macos is just a customized version of freebsd that they charge you for.

I use the internet a lot, I'm on the computer all day for work, but by no means am I a "techie". Even if I stick with this Droid I'm getting, I'm not the guy who's going to be personalizing it and developing apps, etc. So I'm more concerned with my phone company limiting what I can do with the phone (Verizon's notorious for this), than with Apple limiting me.

Ok so when the "Iphone" came out a buddy bought on and I was like ok this is cool but I think I would throw it against the effin wall its so s l o w...Then came 3g I was on board and was great 3 family members bought one after they played with mine. Then swmbo got the 3gs I didnt see the big deal there not really upgrade except for then they kept getting new software and then was better. So this last summer I knew I was due for a new phone and had some friends with droid increadble not sure what model but a black berry of some sort and I waited until the evo came out (with the same thought about sprint being cheeeeeper!!!) Sprint is cheaper for a reason they don't as much as vs or att because you CANT use your phone as much their coverage SUCKS. So I stayed with att :( but got the phone4:)......one other note att has lowered their data plan price $15 for 250mb ...$25for 2gb..the old plan was $30 unlimited but I went back and checked only 2 months in the past 18 did I actually go over 250mb so I lowered my plan and now only pay $15 for the data so my new phone is actually cheaper and MUCH better than the old Iphone3g. Check consumer reviews on the phones your looking at buying. battery life is a huge drain with the htc evo and the "apps" and software for droid seem to keep coming up as problems. As for Iphone if you want to avoid some of the "apple" limits jail break is an option but I have no need now theres really nothing I cant do that apple limits. The biggest down side to Iphone I think is Itunes what a ***** that program is. When and if apple does have a problem the fix it quickly. Im not a apple guy or one who wants steve jobs in fact the ONLY apple product I have is the iphone4 but at the end of the day it is still the leader and every other phone is trying to duplicate it.

Ok so when the "Iphone" came out a buddy bought on and I was like ok this is cool but I think I would throw it against the effin wall its so s l o w...Then came 3g I was on board and was great 3 family members bought one after they played with mine. Then swmbo got the 3gs I didnt see the big deal there not really upgrade except for then they kept getting new software and then was better. So this last summer I knew I was due for a new phone and had some friends with droid increadble not sure what model but a black berry of some sort and I waited until the evo came out (with the same thought about sprint being cheeeeeper!!!) Sprint is cheaper for a reason they don't as much as vs or att because you CANT use your phone as much their coverage SUCKS. So I stayed with att :( but got the phone4:)......one other note att has lowered their data plan price $15 for 250mb ...$25for 2gb..the old plan was $30 unlimited but I went back and checked only 2 months in the past 18 did I actually go over 250mb so I lowered my plan and now only pay $15 for the data so my new phone is actually cheaper and MUCH better than the old Iphone3g. Check consumer reviews on the phones your looking at buying. battery life is a huge drain with the htc evo and the "apps" and software for droid seem to keep coming up as problems. As for Iphone if you want to avoid some of the "apple" limits jail break is an option but I have no need now theres really nothing I cant do that apple limits. The biggest down side to Iphone I think is Itunes what a ***** that program is. When and if apple does have a problem the fix it quickly. Im not a apple guy or one who wants steve jobs in fact the ONLY apple product I have is the iphone4 but at the end of the day it is still the leader and every other phone is trying to duplicate it.

Weird, I have never had a coverage issue with Sprint.

The iPhone 4 is ok as long as you have a silicone case (to prevent dropped calls from the external antenna issue), and will give you the "total package" computer/music/phone feel that you're looking for.

The incredible, X, and other 1ghz android phones are superior products, but obviously aren't what you're looking for.

P.s. if you think that people aren't making viruses and web attacks for macs with their popularity with the credit card happy college kids, guess again! You just don't have the antivirus software to tell you that it's happening yet :p That extra $$ you're shelling out isn't for a superior product, it's a surcharge for design and trend.

That said, apples are shiny, and easy to use. So if you enjoy using it and have the money to pay for it then more power to ya! I won't try and convince you otherwise, just throwing out what I've gleaned after working in IT for the last 10+ years.

Oh, and AT&T's "bad reputation" has come from the iPhone, not their service. I was an AT&T customer with a Windows Phone for 2 years, and a standard cell for 2 years before that and never had a dropped call, or reception issues. Their customer service was also incredible as I had some issues with the company I ordered my phone from and they resolved the issue for me AND gave me a credit for the minutes I spent talking to CS even though it was never their fault to begin with. I switched to Verizon for the incredible, and have had nothing but poor reception, bad coverage, and lousy customer service. I'll be switching back to AT&T when my contract is up as long as they have the phone I'm looking for at the time.

I also would advise against the D1.

A lot of the newer software (games, multimedia) is starting to get increasingly processor heavy and the D1 is quite antiquated. On top of that, there are notorious keyboard 'bubbling' issues with that line. (Co-worker replaced 4!)

Root it then overclock it! Mine runs nice and smooth(@ 1GHz). They keyboard is not great but it is still perfectly usable, just takes some getting used to.

But yes it is an older phone. The newer ones definitely have far superior hardware.

And to anyone who thinks Verizon will lock down the iPhone when it comes to the network, there is no way they will do it. When it comes to smart phones, they keep them open and I see no reason they change that for the iPhone.

Maybe 25 bucks? With contract they're free. I got my Incredible, which is a much better phone, for $25.

I realize you don't want a contract, but 100 is still too much.

Its not that I don't want a contract, I am in contract. I just upgraded 3 months ago. I'm stuck for now. I looked all around ebay, can't find this phone cheaper than $57 (auction, so it will probably go higher), with most in the $200 range. For $100 from a guy I trust, I'd say its well worth it.

P.s. if you think that people aren't making viruses and web attacks for macs with their popularity with the credit card happy college kids, guess again! You just don't have the antivirus software to tell you that it's happening yet :p That extra $$ you're shelling out isn't for a superior product, it's a surcharge for design and trend.

I understand that most of the "protection" comes from less people trying to kill Macs so far, but lets face it, a PC is subjected to DAILY, hell, HOURLY attacks. Every minute you spend on the internet is spent fending off viruses. You have to have cleanup software, spyware software, security software... forget it, I got tired of all that crap. Is it the PC's fault inherently? No, but either way it exists. Its like being born in North Korea: not your fault, but your life is gonna suck no matter what.

iPhone = JUNK....

if you're an apple fanboy your are PRO MAC, iPhone, iPad, AppleTv. etc.

iPhone is locked down pretty tight. you can't customize it like you can other phones. battery can't be changed *or thats how it USED TO BE*

there are much better smart phones on the market right now even if the iPhone came to verizon I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

I have a moto Droid since 11/09 and I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for 10 iPhones.

-=Jason=-

but lets face it, a PC is subjected to DAILY, hell, HOURLY attacks. Every minute you spend on the internet is spent fending off viruses. You have to have cleanup software, spyware software, security software...

Now you are just exaggerating. I have never had a virus/spyware issue. It is just a matter of smart browsing. The problem is people are dumb enough to click on anything. You could take out an ad on a page and have it be blatant and say "click here to infect your machine" and i guarantee you people will click on it.

Back