Pacman already activated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I just got back from a week long work trip to Chicago and was happy to see that my order from MidWest was waiting for me :rockin: SWMBO told me that the shipment came on Wednesday and, per my instructions, immediately put the Pacman Wyeast, LME and hops into the fridge. I checked everything out and my Wyeast was already expanded because the activator must have burst in shipping. I am planning on making a starter with it today and brewing a Bell's Two hearted clone tomorrow, will this be a problem? I have no idea how long ago it was activated and after activation it was put into the fridge for a few days. Sorry for the long post but I need to know if I should make a run to my LHS and buy a new Wyeast before tomorrow. Thanks!

On another note, I am bottling my first brew today! Wish me luck!!

IMHO it is fine. But are you sure it is activated? Sometimes I get Wyeast that is "puffier" than others, but not really swollen. Nevertheless, the starter you are going to make will wake the yeast up and it should be fine.

I just had this issue on my last batch of IPA - starter is recommended. Your fermentation may be a bit slower, but it will work anyway. Mine was popped for at least a month and everything seemed to turn out just fine....

I confirmed this w/ Wyeast Labs customer support as well...

Well, I made my starter about 5 hrs ago and it is bubbling away in the airlock so I am assuming that the yeast is OK.

I also just finished bottling my first batch and it took me a lot longer than I had anticipated. Things went well though, my FG was 1.014 (recipe called for 1.013), the beer was quite tasty though will definitely benefit from bottle conditioning, and I got exactly 48 beers out of it (didn't break a one :ban:).

Thanks to everyone on this site as you all definitely saved me some headaches and provided the insight needed to brew a tasty beer!!

Kingmatt, I had the exact same issue with Midwest's Pacman Activator. I ordered mine last week and it arrived Friday. I was intending to make a starter anyway, so I wasn't too worried, but surprised because I had gotten quality shipping from them.

When I tore open the pack, the little envelope of yeast nutrient had NOT been punctured. Which was weird. Anyway, I mixed the three together and my starter was A-OK. The yeasties are happily munching away at my latest brew.

Back