Temperature Dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbricker

Reaction score
I only have experience with quick fermenting ales, mainly because I'm worried about the ambient temperature of my brewing facilities. I've recently moved, and have access to a basement with much cooler temperatures and was wondering how cool i would need to keep a batch for extended lagering of 2 months or more. The last thing I want is for a whole batch of some heavy porter or bock to go bad because i kept it in too warm a room. Any advice?

I've never done a lager, but I know the temps range, its between 50 and 56 if I recall correctly, but every lager yeast has an optimal range that's somewhere in there. I.e. one yeast strain may say "54-56" and another "50-52". I think also, if I've read correctly, most lagers need a warm up to 72ish for a diacetyl rest, (is that right? Please correct me if I'm wrong) after primary fermentation is done for a few days, and then a "cold crash" down to about 32 for a while to really clear out the lager... (week or two I think) This is what I remember reading, because I'm curious about lagering too, but haven't taken the dip yet. There are tons of people here that have, and hopefully they'll either agree w/ me, or correct me and tell me I'm smoking something funny :p

Back