Primary/no secondary - add gelatin to primary or to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaddy

Reaction score
First batch I'm kegging and first batch I'm using gelatin. My cream of 3 crops ale was in primary for 3 weeks, now I put it in the fridge overnight last night to "cold crash" for a few days before I rack to a keg. My questions:

1) Should I add gelatin to the primary today and then rack it to keg on Monday? Or should I rack it to keg and then add gelatin to the keg?

2) The instructions I see for using gelatin involve warming it up, etc. Should I cool down before tossing in either the primary or keg? (and if so, how much?) Or can you toss it warm?

You can either add to the primary or keg. I've done both. You don't have to cool the gelatin to much. The temp of the beer will quickly chill the gelatin for ya.

Yeah, don't let it cool down too much. 100F is fine.

I'd add to the primary if you don't plan on re-using your yeast. The keg is fine, but I take my kegs a lot of places and don't like shaken up sediment in my beer.

Back