When to add Belgian Candy Sugar? PM brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourbrews

Reaction score
I'm working on a Black Diamond Winter Ale clone; featured in most recent BYO magazine. No where in the recipe does it tell me when to add the Belgian Candy Sugar.

I have to add 1.25 lbs can someone help me? I've read mixed reviews about when to add... in fermentation, in boil, etc. Thoughts?

Should've figured this out before I started... slightly urgent!

Anytime is okay, really. If you do the beginning of the boil, you'll lose some hop utilization because of the increase in SG.

I usually do the last 10 - 15 minutes of the boil so it has time to completely dissolve.

If you add it to the fermentor, dissolve it in water and boil the water to kill all the wild bacteria first.

What is your SG before adding the candi sugar? (1 lb. adds about .06 to a 5-gallon batch.). You would normally add at flame out, but a trick I learned from Adam Avery's interview on the Brewing Network is that adding during primary fermentation will keep from stressing the yeast and avoid hot alcohol flavors. It also helps attenuation. I tried it on my latest Belgian quad and it worked like a charm.

Back