maximum volume carbonation in regular bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Anybody know what the maximum volumes of carbonation in regular bottles, to stay within a safe range so I don't have bottles explode? These are just regular bottles, not Belgian thicker glass.

I think regular glass bottles can go to about 4 volumes or so before any issues. I did a hefeweizen in bottles that I did at about 3.8 to 4 volumes and didnt have a problem.

Hopefully someone else can answer this better....

I agree, I came upon the 4 volumes of co2 figure for normal beer bottles as well. I have done some of my belgains at 3 or 3.5 volumes and had no issues. But of course if it's a beat up bottle that may have a flaw in it, then it may go at normal 2-2.5 volumes.

Necrobump!

Does this philosophy apply to 22oz. bombers too? I've been searching around and saw a few threads where people had less luck with those as compared to 12oz. longnecks.

I want to do Belgians without investing in corking & caging... yadda yadda yadda.

Also I want to drink a bunch more sedimented yeast so I can blast SWMBO with even more gas than usual.

depends entirely on the thickness of the glass. i know chamaigne bottles are much thicker because of higher carb. big 22oz grolsch bottles should be thick enough for a few volumes. but ive also seen some pretty thin 22's that i wouldnt feel comforable putting more than 2 or 3 volumes in.

some bottles (thinner ones, like growlers) arent meant to be carbonated in, just to hold pre-carbd beer.

Yeah, I hear you there - but I don't want to buy a corker and all that.

I guess my question pertains to standard-issue brew shop 22 oz bombers that you'd get a case of from online retailers, for example. I'd think those would all be similar, but maybe that's a bad assumption to make.

If 12oz bottles are stronger then that's info I want to know too - but if I can safely carbonate to 3 volumes in brand new 22 oz bottles, then I'd rather do that and get done quicker. Plus, I guess it'd be a closer approximation to the big belgian corked and caged bottles.

Back