firestone keg sealing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpoc454

Reaction score
I just received my first two firestone kegs.

They were very recently being used for what seems to be pepsi and sprite.
They are used by seem to be in usueable shape.
They are both firestone kegs as read from the side with quick disconnect style.

They arent exactly the same though one has a blue top one has a black top.
The blue top has a different locking top than the black.

Yje holes on the tops arent exactly the same but close. Though the lids wont interechange. One is more oval and the other slightly egg shape.

The blue , hard to explain, has as its locking mechamism, two feet that have a rubber stoppper on the ends that are pressed down on the top when in locked position.

The black top style, has more of a U-shape and the elbows of the U are bare metal and are pressed on the top to lock the lid.

Werll i cleaned them both tonight, i looked at the main lid gasket for both and they looked pretty good to my untrained eyes. I put hot water and soap in them to get some of the major crud out.

When I sealed them and shook them upsided down, I could see foam come out of the seal.
The lid doesnt look damaged, and the gasket looks ok, is this a ok test for pressure seal, or do i need to use co2 for sure?

To pressure test the seals, you need to hit the keg with a CO2 charge. Not only is that the only real method, but remember the lid will only seal if the keg is under pressure. Just latching it won't seal it.

Great thats what I was hopeing to hear. I will try to that next.
Does it save co@ if you fill the tank with water before testing it so the co2 doesnt have to fill up empty space ?

Not really. You don't need to completely pressurize it, just use enough gas to seal it. A few PSI (maybe five to 10 seconds) of a CO2 charge should be enough. Then wait a while and check to see if it's still holding pressure.

Back