What's Brewing This Weekend? (July 4th wknd)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
What's on the boil for this weekend? I know the weekend is still a couple of days off, but it's a holiday and I know some folks will be taking days off.

I've got Friday and Monday off, in addition to the 4th. On Friday, the girlfriend and I will be at Summerfest in Milwaukee, but on Saturday, we plan to brew a new recipe - Rhoobarb's Best IPA. It's 77 IBUs and will use Chinook, Mt. Hood and Centennial.

I'm really looking forward to it - I haven't brewed anything in eight weeks!:eek: :mad: I’ve just been too busy. I have some more free time coming up, so I’ll have to make up for lost time. :mug:

Im going to attempt my favorite extract recipe for a Nut Brown, but go All Grain this time around. Then I got some buddies coming into town, and hopefully we will have decided on which Pumpkin Ale were going to go with by then.

My last two brews have been single-infusion ales with dry yeast, therefore (and since it's a long weekend) I'm planning a double (or triple) decocted Oktoberfest. Depends on what I let myself talk me into.

Double IPA gonna be brewed on the 4th. Nothing this weekend except drinking previously brewed beverages.

Chimone said:
Im going to attempt my favorite extract recipe for a Nut Brown, but go All Grain this time around. Then I got some buddies coming into town, and hopefully we will have decided on which Pumpkin Ale were going to go with by then.

Congrats on the jump to AG - and good luck! :mug: I did my first AG about this time last year - July 9th to be exact! You'll love it!:)

I have been on fourlough from work and wouldn't it be my luck that I was just recalled and have to report to work at 11pm Friday night. It's been years since I have worked 3rd shift and I still don't know what my off days will be. That being said, I doubt I will get to brew or anything else this weekend. I do have ine I need to transfer tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a good 4th weekend!!!!!

Brewing a Saison Dupont Clone once the ingredients arrive. I have my yeast and some vienna malt here waiting for their buddies to get boiled and ferment.

I'm brewing an IPA for the second time, but using Wyeast 1272 instead of 1056. No complaints with the first batch, just interested in seeing the impact of the different yeast.

Hopefully saturday I'll be brewing a Belgian Wit if my supplies make it from Austin Homebrew, then Sunday is Summerfest (seeing NIN), then on the 4th I may brew a Nut Brown Ale. I'll also be driving a car in Racine's Fourth of July parade.

If the shipment doesn't make it for the weekend it'll just be the Wit on the 4th.

I'm starting the weekend off a little early by brewing my Xtra Pale Ale today (Thursday), and then close out the holiday with making a trippel or possibly an Independence Day IPA on Tuesday. The novelty of making a beer I may call IDIPA sounds to cool.

So much going on this weekend, I hope I have time to get my brew chores done!

1. Cubs v Sox game tomorrow
2. Bottle 80/-
3. Appointment with people to look at building a deck in my back yard
4. Rack Franzi clone to secondary
5. Rack mead to tertiary
6. Buy more maple syrup
7. Make maple wine
8. Pick up son from my mom's place
9. REO Speedwagon @ Naperville Ribfest (weather and health of son permitting)
10. Buff out SWMBO's car after I rubbed against a yellow post (this should actually be #2)
11. Wash my Jeep. Remove hard top.
12. More Cowbell.

Cheesefood said:
So much going on this weekend, I hope I have time to get my brew chores done!

9. REO Speedwagon @ Naperville Ribfest (whether and health of son permitting)

I'll be there on Sunday to see Blood, Sweat & Tears and Chuck Negron.

Cheesefood said:
12. More Cowbell.

Always!

Hoping to do some brewing on Monday (I'll prolly work a half day), but I haven't decided what. Maybe a Strong Ale, maybe an IPA... something bigger than I can brew and let age for a while. I'm soliciting suggestions and recipes in another thread, open to ideas....

Cheesefood said:
9. REO Speedwagon @ Naperville Ribfest (whether and health of son permitting)

ROTFL, I just had a visions at an 8th grade dance, grabbing a girls @$$ for the first time, slow dancing to "keep on lovin you" from high infidelity. Other highlights from that year include Styx- Paradise Theater, another classic jr, high school dance album. :off: Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

I'm hoping to bottle my Franziskaner clone, rack the spiced holiday ale and brew up a Caramel Cream Ale this weekend, but that might not happen. We have been on a boil water restriction for the past 3 days and you can't even wash your dishes with the tap water.

I would go out and get a bunch of bottled water, but most stores are out or very low because of the high need right now. Who knows........

Ive got a bitter that needs to be bottled, and i brewed a stout last night, that gives me about a week before my primary is empty...

maybe... just MAYBE... another batch of IPA.

I'm moving in 4 weeks, so I have to decide if I want to mess with bottling a batch of beer at the same time I am trying to box up the house.

-walker

Maybe do the Broken Rod Rye, if I can get to a store when it is actually open! I've got to make a run to Portland, Trader Joe's for dogfood & snacks, Powell's for books, may as well try to hit Steinbart's.

Spyderturbo - If you have to boil your water anyway ...

Rhoobarb said:
What's on the boil for this weekend? I know the weekend is still a couple of days off, but it's a holiday and I know some folks will be taking days off.

I've got Friday and Monday off, in addition to the 4th. On Friday, the girlfriend and I will be at Summerfest in Milwaukee, but on Saturday, we plan to brew a new recipe - Rhoobarb's Best IPA. It's 77 IBUs and will use Chinook, Mt. Hood and Centennial.

I'm really looking forward to it - I haven't brewed anything in eight weeks!:eek: :mad: I’ve just been too busy. I have some more free time coming up, so I’ll have to make up for lost time. :mug:
Unfortunately, I have to work this weekend so no brewing for me. :(

I do have a Bock I'm racking to secondary tonight and lagering for the next month or so. I guess that's something to look forward to.

IPA on the 4th. It is the recipe I posted yesterday called Melanoma IPA, but I will call this one We Don't Need No Stinkin' King Independence Pale Ale.

I'm going to brew my Whitbread Pale Ale, which is a reschedule from last weekend due to dead yeast. The yeast should be here tomorrow...

:eek:

Brewpastor said:
IPA on the 4th. It is the recipe I posted yesterday called Melanoma IPA, but I will call this one We Don't Need No Stinkin' King Independence Pale Ale.
Hmmmm...then maybe I should brew my Oktoberfest on July 4th and call it And *(#$ Your Hessians, As Well Oktoberfest.

I'm double batching this weekend. IPA and Belgian Wit.

I'll figure out later if I've got enough bottles.

-walker

None for me. :(

Priority #1: Try to figure out why the farking thermostat in my fridge stopped shutting the motor off somewhere between last night and this morning. It was running a touch warm so I thumbed the dial over a smidge. This morning the thermometer read 28. :eek: Turning the thermostat to "off" did zippo, so I had to unplug it. Iced hefeweizen = not good.

Priority #2: Knock some of the stuff off the Honey-do and Daddy-do lists.

Gonna have to start brewing something in the next couple weeks, though. Got four Ventmatic faucets on order. :D Need to fill two more kegs with brew by the end of July/early August.

BLG and I are doing a batch of her "lager not" tonite and on the fourth were going for Cheesefoods Caramel Cream Ale. Tomorrow the cherry wheat is going into bottles. Also tonite I'm haveing to repitch the yeast into the mead. Busy weekend... :eek:

I have a blonde ale planned for sunday. I was going to brew a pilsner, but don't have enough room to lager another beer at this time and I don't want to have to wait as long as a pilsner takes.
So I am adding some wheat and crystal malts and using 1056 to come up with a blonde ale.

I finally got to Corvallis when Joel's store was open, made a special trip because the last three times I was in the area were outside his normal hours. Anyway, I've got the makings for Bent Rod Rye. Decided to use WL007 and plan on an extra large starter so I can use some to dry out the Old Dog Brown.

I'm trying to decide if I'm brewing today or not. Raining again her in the NE and I'm undecided if I want to lug everything out to the screenhouse.:( I have the works for a Helles I want to try. I have enough to keep me busy, got a maibock to keg, aporter to move to 2ndary and an IPA to drink:mug:

2nd Street Brewery said:
I'm trying to decide if I'm brewing today or not. Raining again her in the NE and I'm undecided if I want to lug everything out to the screenhouse.:( I have the works for a Helles I want to try. I have enough to keep me busy, got a maibock to keg, aporter to move to 2ndary and an IPA to drink:mug:

I recommend working on that last TODO item. If you can knock that one off, you'll have more motivation to do the others. ;)

Brewed my #9 clone last night. We were getting Weather advisories, but I finished up without getting hit with anything. Completely uneventful session. Did a minimash w/45 minute mashing in 2G, 1G sparge, ended up w/~2.5G boil. Had my starter going since Wed, and it went right to work. Was getting 3bubs/sec this morning.

I resisted the urge to use my hydrometer at all, but I am confident that I met or exceeded the target....

I screwed up this weekend.
I was brewing a Christmas ale yesterday, my first all grain 5 gal batch, 2nd all grain total.
I trusted beersmith's calculations for boil off, it said start the boil with 8.5 gal.
I ended up with 7 gal after the boil, my OG finished at 1.03!
Plus my freezer that I am using as a fermentation chamber decided to quit today in the 105F weather. So I am fermenting at 80-85F in the house. Great!
So I now have a Christmas Lite beer fermenting like crazy at high temp, I am working on fixing my freezer, and I have to host a 4th of July party today.
Any advice?

I made an Amarillo Rye Ale as well as an experimental brew using 40% rice/corn and it turned out to be no problem at all :D

I did a munich/wheaten saison with orange peels this morning. The house smelled like bread with orange marmalade.

I brewed up a honey brown today. It was a good day. Sampled an amber ale that I bottled last week. Not quite aged yet, but it is going to be very drinkable....maybe sooner than later:)

I brewed a sour-mashed saison this morning/all weekend. It was my first sour-mash, so I'm pretty excited about it. The smells coming from the airlock right now are GREAT. I love WLP 565!

I brewed my 1st IPA yesterday while prepping the food for dinner. Pitched the starter on it at 6:00pm. Then headed outside with some of my Sunset Gold APA's while getting 3 slabs of Memphis ribs in the pit. By the time I did,I was beat from working on everything at once all day. But it was a good kind of tired. Getting distracted from the hard blow off sounds from the IPA fermenting. No krausen blowing off,just a lot of hard out gassing. Idk what they've been eating,but boy,can they rip some big ones!:D

Back