Does brewing stop after kids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I just got back from lamaze class and finished dry hopping my Two Hearted clone and was wondering, does brewing stop after birth? I have one "safe" weekend left to brew my welcome back off the wagon present for my wife (SWMBO Slayer). I brewed the first a while back but its not going to make it long enough. I know my worries are probably just due to freaking out from whats about to happen (RDWHAHB) but I know its going to be hard working 10-12 hours a day and finding time for the fam. Once he gets old enough I think it's something we can do together and have fun with but boiling liquid and propane burners are no place for a new born.

I already had one kid when I started brewing. Having the second one around didn't change anything. Some folks around here have their kids help them when they brew. My kids hate the smell, so they won't help. My oldest thinks the stir plate is pretty cool, though.

I have a son that's going on 2 months. He's Like Bernie Brewer's kids not much help!! :D

I think you'll find you can still brew, you just need to plan ahead a little further. Don't surpise SWMBO with, ah.... "Oh yah, I'm brewing today..." I think its a good way to get them upset if they had plans to go out and have you watch the kid. This will be my issue as I get back to doing AG outside.

When the weather is bad, I do PM's with partial boils on the stove.

I brewed a partial mash two weeks ago, with the kid swinging away in his swing. I can give him a bottle then strap him into swing and he will be occupied for 45 minutes easily. When I lay him down to sleep he is zonked for 4 hours. They seem to get into a feeding & sleep schedule that you can work/brew around.

If I were you, brew like crazy now, after the kid comes you will need the stash for awhile. Tides you over until all 3 of you are in a routine.

No.

Maybe a little.

It better not, I took delivery of a BM 2 days after my second came home.

He's 4 weeks old now and I already have 2 fermenters going.

My dad brewed all the time when I was a wee one, round about 2-5 years old. I started brewing in college, and it was the weirdest thing in the world. I have only fleeting memories of him brewing when I was little, but as soon as I smelled the boiling wort it immediately took me back. Keep brewing, your kids will have great memories!

No, it won't stop, but if this is your first, it will definitely slow down for awhile. At least until they start sleeping through the night.

my son is 6. he likes to munch on the grains out of the bag while i'm mashing in, and likes throwing in the hops into the boil for me, and helps generally however i need him to.

I already had two kids when I started. In my case, I find it hard to grab some brewing time. I'm home with my younger one in the mornings during the week, go to work in the afternoons into the night. I don't have weekends free until the summer, and then it's family time because I spend much of the fall and winter away from home.

I think it largely comes down to personal choice. I choose not to take time away from my family to brew. I much prefer to steal some time when the family is not around, ie when I have a day off during the week. That's why my production is not what I would like it to be.

But when the second one starts school full time in the fall, all bets are off.

+1 with Shecky.

I too tend to favor time with my family over the desire to brew. When the desire is too strong or the pipeline is too low I just brew after hours when the rest of the house has gone to bed.

I do hope to get my boy involved soon but, for now, he is too rambunctious to trust around the brewery.

I've only done 3 partial mash and 2 AG, but I have 2 kids. Once you get you're routine going, Brewing doesn't tie up alot of your time. It's moslty waiting in between boils and mashes. I find that brewing beer keeps me at home with more quality time with the kids. The youngest is a 2 year old. At that age they just want to watch.

It takes me 4-5 hours to brew... there is are easily 4-5 hours in a day that I do not spend in direct contact with my kids or my wife, so I dont see an impact.

I also have the fact that I am only home 10-15 days and nights per month due to work. Brewing, and that 4-5 hours alone in the garage each month are MY time. Everyone else gets thier time at home to do what they please, all I ask for is 4-5 hours per month to enjoy a hobby. Wifey agrees, and we have never hadn any friction. I take on a heck of a burden with my work demands to support the crew here at home, they have no problems at all with me taking 4-5 hours alone to do something that I really enjoy.

Keep in mind that I STILL do all of the cooking when I am home, most of the cleaning and such, so I pull more than my own weight considering the ammount of time I am actually here.

I already had two kids when I started. In my case, I find it hard to grab some brewing time. I'm home with my younger one in the mornings during the week, go to work in the afternoons into the night. I don't have weekends free until the summer, and then it's family time because I spend much of the fall and winter away from home.

I think it largely comes down to personal choice. I choose not to take time away from my family to brew. I much prefer to steal some time when the family is not around, ie when I have a day off during the week. That's why my production is not what I would like it to be.

But when the second one starts school full time in the fall, all bets are off.

Just to tag onto these comments... Usually you have less time to drink. The few batches you make stick around a bit longer which is OK.

Two ideas;

1. Make Edworts AW - Its quick, easy and a good drink to have on hand. Stores well too.
  2. Start kegging, saves valuable family time. Keep some of the bottles for something special.

My friend and I have brewing sessions once or twice a month at his house. We started doing it there sometimes instead of just at my house, that way we could hang out. His daughter likes tasting the mash. So, actually, I see more of him and he brews MORE since she was born.

About the casual drinking.....I made a commitment to SWMBO that I would NEVER be in a condition that would put me at a legal-limit risk if I need to take a child to a hospital.

I'd enjoy a beer or two but never be stupid.

About the casual drinking.....I made a commitment to SWMBO that I would NEVER be in a condition that would put me at a legal-limit risk if I need to take a child to a hospital.

I'd enjoy a beer or two but never be stupid.

Rauchbier fan or just like the name?

Just to tag onto these comments... Usually you have less time to drink. The few batches you make stick around a bit longer which is OK.

Two ideas;

1. Make Edworts AW - Its quick, easy and a good drink to have on hand. Stores well too.
  2. Start kegging, saves valuable family time. Keep some of the bottles for something special.

I would do the AW but I think I'm one of the few that doesn't like it. A friend of mine it and I can't really drink much more than half a pint at a time.

And yes, I need to start kegging. I'll tell SWMBO that and see how it goes.:D

I don't have kids - but good call on the drink limit.

I mention it to people that have kids when they are drunk at home and
they usually make this thought face like "Oh, yeah, I guess that makes sense"

:off:

Rauchbier Fan! :rockin:

I was making a Rauchbier when I signed up.

:mug:

Mine went far too quickly

Have a smoked porter that I used hickory and mesquite for.

The true Rauchbier I made was with home smoked grains, NICE stuff.......... the kids dont like it (on topic)

I actually started brewing as a hobby after my daughter came she is now 1.5. My hobbies before that were fishing hunting diving that took me out of the house for days at a time. Brewing keeps me close by and the family can be together, my wife supports it much more then my other hobbies.

I actually started brewing as a hobby after my daughter came she is now 1.5. My hobbies before that were fishing hunting diving that took me out of the house for days at a time. Brewing keeps me close by and the family can be together, my wife supports it much more then my other hobbies.

OP - With this thought in mind you should take up fishing, hunting and what not so SWMBO can appreciate your hobby more!!! :D

I took a few years off when my kids were born and just got back into it. You can do it as long as you schedule it. That's the thing about marriage and parenting is that it's no longer all *my* time, it's *our* time Mr. Hand. I brew at night after the kids are in bed or wake up early in the morning (5ish) - that's my time.

I, too, took some time off due to life stuff, but 'twas different. My wife was really, seriously, ill. Several years, multiple surgeries and ICU stays, and one kid later, I started up again.

MY kiddo, who's now six, keeps me company outside on brewdays. We play frisbee, or soccer, or she rides her bike while I'm heating sparge water, waiting on mash conversion, and boiling. She stays far away from the burner stand, and also loves to help crush grain at the LHBS.

Babies are easy, while they're in turtle phase (you know, set 'em down on their back, and they stay there). Once they become mobile, all bets are off.

First six months I didn't get much done hobby wise. Work then home to help out around the house and with the baby. Now he's got into a rough schedule it has opened up a lot more free time. Also once he started crawling allowed for some more freedom. You can do what you want while you watch him as he entertains himself going about. Yesterday I had a couple carboys out and he entertained himself for like 20 minutes blowing into them to making funny sounds. Amusing.

I didn't start brewing until I already had 3 kids and wife was pregnant with the 4th. It's all about how your wife feels about the hobby. I brew in my garage, always clean up after myself, and brew her a batch every once in a while.

She knows how passionate I am about it and she's ok with the time I dedicate to it.

First six months I didn't get much done hobby wise. Work then home to help out around the house and with the baby. Now he's got into a rough schedule it has opened up a lot more free time. Also once he started crawling allowed for some more freedom. You can do what you want while you watch him as he entertains himself going about. Yesterday I had a couple carboys out and he entertained himself for like 20 minutes blowing into them to making funny sounds. Amusing.

I know I could spend at least 20 minutes doing that. :D

Back