What culture to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
So me and my GF where at a beer tasting last year and had a wonderful sour(Not sure what it was) that tasted like Balsamic vinegar. It was awesome stuff. Anyways Looking over the different bugs I cant seem to find which one would produce that wonderful flavor. If someone could point me to the right bugs to use and even a recipe/ Yeast selection I would be most grateful.

So me and my GF where at a beer tasting last year and had a wonderful sour(Not sure what it was) that tasted like Balsamic vinegar. It was awesome stuff. Anyways Looking over the different bugs I cant seem to find which one would produce that wonderful flavor. If someone could point me to the right bugs to use and even a recipe/ Yeast selection I would be most grateful.

Flanders Reds often have a balsamic quality. If you are looking to replicate that style then Roeselare (Wyeast 3763) is a great strain.

Flanders Reds often have a balsamic quality. If you are looking to replicate that style then Roeselare (Wyeast 3763) is a great strain.

TYVM. Would I want to pitch another yeast like American Ale II 1272 first and then pitch the 3763 later?

Your tasting a flaw. Brewers try and stay away from vinegar (acetobacter) it is acceptable in Flanders red style to an extent. But if that's what you want it's very easy go make it thrives on oxygen

Your tasting a flaw. Brewers try and stay away from vinegar (acetobacter) it is acceptable in Flanders red style to an extent. But if that's what you want it's very easy go make it thrives on oxygen

I don't necessarily agree with the flaw comment in the context of Flanders Reds. By definition they should have some acetic character to the extent that even BJCP lists acetobacter as a fermentation component. Duchesse de Bourgogne certainly exemplifies the style and it has loads of balsamic character.

TYVM. Would I want to pitch another yeast like American Ale II 1272 first and then pitch the 3763 later?

ChaosStout, there are a few schools of thought on fermentation schedule. You've basically described "the Jamil method" from Brewing Classic Styles which he recommends for a less sour Flemish Red. I favor pitching the Roeselare culture up front and letting it ride for 12-18 months, the longer the better IMHO.

I don't necessarily agree with the flaw comment in the context of Flanders Reds. By definition they should have some acetic character to the extent that even BJCP lists acetobacter as a fermentation component. Duchesse de Bourgogne certainly exemplifies the style and it has loads of balsamic character.

ChaosStout, there are a few schools of thought on fermentation schedule. You've basically described "the Jamil method" from Brewing Classic Styles which he recommends for a less sour Flemish Red. I favor pitching the Roeselare culture up front and letting it ride for 12-18 months, the longer the better IMHO.

Like I said it is acceptable to an extent. A good Flanders with low acetic qualities is terrific compared to an acetic bomb.

Duchesse is a poor representation IMHO it is back sweetened like crazy and pasteurized.

Back