110V Single Element used for Multi stage mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njs170

Reaction score
I will start with I am using a 9 gal BW and a 10 gal Mash tun Cooler. My main source to boil is a propane burner. I will be brewing 5 gallon batches. I know with this setup I could do a decoction mash.

My question is could I use one 1500Watt heat element to heat from a protein rest to saccrification rest then to mash out or whatever I need to do for that batch that I am brewing.

I do not have room in my box to put a 220V line in. I really wish I did. I will have one 20amp 110V available on brew day. I would also build a temp control with timer for this to make my life easier. I know I can do it with two 1500Watt elements but that is just not an option for me. Thank you for your time.

It will work, but I think it will be slow. I just built my system and my test was on 40 liters, but it took a long time to reach my target temperature with my 1500 watt element.

It will work, but I think it will be slow. I just built my system and my test was on 40 liters, but it took a long time to reach my target temperature with my 1500 watt element.

Awesome! I would use the propane burner to the get the water to 120-130F then tranfer the water to the mash tun then use the 1500Watt heat element. If you had to guess how long does it take to get to the saccrification rest which is around 150-160F then to the mash out at 168F? Thank you again for your help!

Awesome! I would use the propane burner to the get the water to 120-130F then tranfer the water to the mash tun then use the 1500Watt heat element. If you had to guess how long does it take to get to the saccrification rest which is around 150-160F then to the mash out at 168F? Thank you again for your help!

I wasn't timing anything on my first test, but I'll try to time it next time.

How are you heating your mash with an electric heating element? RIMS? Heatstick?

How are you heating your mash with an electric heating element? RIMS? Heatstick?

I would use a heatstick setup. the thought of a HERMS setup would be kool but I am trying not to run wort through my pump. RIMS i just don't get the benefits of using it.

Back