hop help, can't decide what to use in pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leoglenwood

Reaction score
I'm making a pale ale for my wife's family, a summer beer that should be a less bitter Sierra Nevada-ish

10 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60L
.25 carapils
.25 Gambrinus Honey Malt

too late to criticize/help the grain bill - it's mashing at 152 right now...

I have about 2 oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, Kent Goldings, Magnum, and Centennial

anyone with a grand idea of a hop schedule?

thanks!

Sure! Howsabouts 1 ounce of the Amarillo for bittering at 60, 1 ounce of the Kent for flavor at 20, and another ounce of the Kent for aroma at 5 minutes?

I like Kent . . .

I was thinking 0.5-0.75 Magnum at 60, spread the Amarillo out over 30,20,10, and 5. Somewhere in the 30-40 IBU range...but I don't know you equipment specs or the AA of your hops and can't get any closer than that.

what Are the AAs on the hops? That will depend on the amounts, also what are you predicting to be your OG(what is your efficiency)?

I just did a pale ale and used 1oz of centinnial at 60 min for bittering, then did .5 oz of amarillo at 30, then 1/4 oz of amarillo at 15, another 1/4 oz at 5 min of amarillo. Turned out to be the best pale ale I've made to date!

here is what I just did with my Pale...

.5oz Centennial FWH
.75oz Centennial @ 60
1oz EKG @ 15
.5oz EKG @ 5

Then I dry hopped it for 10 days with .75oz Centennial & .25oz EKG. I wanted to do half and half, but didn't have enough EKG's. Very tasty when I bottled it the other night,:mug:

I was thinking 0.5-0.75 Magnum at 60, spread the Amarillo out over 30,20,10, and 5. Somewhere in the 30-40 IBU range...but I don't know you equipment specs or the AA of your hops and can't get any closer than that.

That's exactly what I would suggest! Your grain bill plus this hop sched. would make a tasty APA!

A lot of good advice already, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I recently had an all Simcoe pale that was absolutely fantastic so I might try something like:

Magnum @ 60 (watch your AA's obviously)
Simcoe @ 20/10/flameout (I would dry hop as well)

Centennial/Amarillo would also be a great choice for aroma/flavor. I just like using Magnum for bittering so you don't have to use much.

Amarillo is my absolute favorite. I've heard Simcoe goes very well with them, but I haven't tried yet.

Bitter with Magnum
At 10 minutes add Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial
At 5 Minutes add Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial
Dryhop with one ounce each of Amarillo and Centennial.

Shoot for about 33-37 IBUs.

Mmmmmmmm, my mouth is watering.

excellent advice

I went with .50 of Magnum to bitter
.25 of Centennial and .25 of Columbus at 10 mins
and .50 of Centennial and .50 of Columbus at flameout

I am going to try JacobIndy's suggestions on my next one in two weeks...
all good ideas and thanks for enlightening me about good combos

regards from Medford, MA!

Back