Losing weight and inches without giving up beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
Every diet plan stresses the need to give up sugar first and alcoholic beverages second. Giving up sugar is hard. I love my sweets but I can do it even for many weeks running, but giving up beer for more than a couple of days is impossible for me. I drink beer daily and plenty of it too. Beer adds many,many calories to my diet so in order to lose weight and still drink beer, I find that I must cut my food intake to a bare minimum. Absolutely no sugar,no fried, very little red meat and other fats like cheese etc. At 50 + it's getting harder and harder to keep the weight down but now that I'm a homebrewer it is even harder still. How are you other beer lovers doing with the battle of the bulge?

Don't fight the bulge. Embrace it :D

I wish there was an easier way than cutting down on beer or running a couple miles every day. A desk job doesn't help matters, either.

It's (almost) impossible to walk/run and drink. So, try to replace some of your prime drinking time with exercise that takes you out of the house.

Then, make a commitment to go to bed earlier, and get up earlier. You still get the same number of awake hours, but you shift them to the morning when you are less likely (!) to drink.

I do this and limit myself to 1 beer on weekdays. Now, weekends are a different story!

At 43, sadly that bulge is the only thing I own free and clear.

Still pay a mortgage. Still make car payments (not for long though!!!) Still pay through the nose for the kids, and I don't even own them!

I try to minimize the size of my spread, but I embrace it as a natural part of my trip through life.

Sadly, it has gotten bigger since I quit all tobacco just over a year ago. SWMBO claims it's beer, but stopping tobacco really puts on the feed bag and the pounds.

well my grampa drinks an 18 pack of bud every day and has for 50 years, he is 82 and fit and trim and eat bacon and eggs every morning.
howevery he also eats lots of veggies and gets up every morning at 5:30 and walks about 3.5 miles , everymorning!
and does lots of other activty during the day

the trick to eating what you want is working like you need it
100 years ago 3000 cal aday diets where common for farmers and labors

got to exercise, my standing rule now is, if I don't ride the bike I don't get to drink

beerpoints.jpg

Pff, you can totally drink beer and lose weight. Any program that says you can't is crap. :) I've lost 30 pounds since January, and that's with several day-long beer festivals (including FredFest and its mountains of chocolate!). :D My husband lost 70 pounds 3 years ago and he's kept it all off, and he's sitting next to me polishing off a bomber of HUB DOA right now.

We both count calories on The Daily Plate (well, he doesn't anymore, but he used to), and you just figure the beer in along with everything else. It usually means having to exercise more to "earn" the beer, unless you want to eat less... I walked the eight miles to get to FredFest so I could afford the calories, for instance. Totally worth it, though. :)

make sacrifices. that's all there is too it. walk to the corner store instead of driving, find a physical activity you enjoy and play it 3-5 times a week. eat a healthier diet of fruits and veggies, and when you do drink make sure you don't eat lots or bad food. usually when people drink in excess they also end up eating in excess and you've gotta avoid that. do 30 pushups/squats/situps whatever for every beer you want to drink later, etc

as has been said above, try to exercise in order to be able to drink, or at least try to get in some exercise time in order to assist in burning calories. If you do that prior to eating dinner, you will lose weight more easily than cutting back on meals. Try to add a hike, walk with the dogs, run, bike ride in during the day and you will have a loss of weight. Remember lastly that beer is a filler, so that you can have a full meal and still find room for beer. The opposite isn't as true. Both ways though are more calories than if you only had 2000 calories per day.

I concur. Exercise not only helps counter the calories from beer, but builds muscle and improves cardiovascular condition. You're not only lighter, but more fit too.

Of course I'm just talking for your benefit. I find it very hard to get exercise, because I don't like repetitive exercise. I'd love to shoot hoops, or play badmiton or bike, but hate doing it alone. I find it easier to fast than to exercise, but it's not as healthy.

I eat very well, no junk at all, and get plenty of exercise. I haven't had a Big Mac in probably 20-25 years, and it's probably been 30 years since I've had a doughnut. I drink about 2-3 pints every night, which is alot of calories, so I need to exercise or I'd gain weight.

I weigh 135 pounds, and am very fit. I'm in better shape than my 19 year old daughter. I just had all of my blood tests done (first time to a doctor in many years) and my cholesterol is 185, and my blood pressure is 100/50. In the winter, I play hockey at least three days a week, but in the summer I bike, kayak, hike, play soccer, etc. It's fun if you make it part of your life.

It's about priorities, really. I WANT to drink beer, so I'm willing to give up the high calorie foods, and I'm willing to exercise to "earn" those beers.

I may only be 22, but I drink far more than I should and I am in great shape. 6'1", 190 pounds, 32 inch waste. It may be due to all the running, lifting and mountain biking, but I also eat very healthy. When you work out, use as little rest time as your body allows you, which in turn keeps your heart rate up and it burns energy. I've noticed that if I load up on dietary fiber, vegies, antioxidents and stay away from fats, sodium and processed sugars that I am in the clear. Eat natural, not processed foods!

It's (almost) impossible to walk/run and drink....

Bah who says!? Tell it to this group of hash runners! Now get to drinking and running!

Edit

wikipedia said:
Members often describe their group as "a drinking club with a running problem," indicating that the social element of an event is as important, if not more so, than any athleticism involved. Beer remains an integral part of a Hash, though the balance between running and drinking differs between kennels, with some groups placing more focus on socializing and others on running.

For me it’s all a matter of calories in vs calories out.

That means watching consumption and some form of regular exercise. I watch what I eat. More whole grains, fresh vegetables, smaller portions and I skip the sweets and snacks (I prefer my calories in beer). Truth be told, I really don’t miss the junk and rather enjoy the foods that I eat.

The biggest sacrifice is no beer during the week, well there are occasions and sometimes I consider Thursday nights part of the weekend… ;)

Find a sustainable exercise program. One that won’t be derailed by weather or money or what ever other excuse pops up. I guarantee an overall improvement in the quality of your life and you get to drink more beer … ahhh beer.

Eat natural, not processed foods!

Thats the key there, for me anyway. My triglicerids(sp) were right at 500, and all my other good and bad cholosteral were way high and low 3 years ago. I am 5'10.5" tall and weighed 206. My doctor wanted to put me on meds for the bloodwork. I asked if there was another way. He suggested two books:

1. The Miami Mediterranean diet

2. The South beach diet (same as above but more laxed)

We bought both books but only used the first one. Gave away all the processed food in the house and bought all fresh, non processed. Which made for 2-3 trips a week to the grocery store (no preservatives).

After 6 months I went back. Weighed 172 and all blood work was right in line except my good cholesteral which was one point too low. Still havent done a lick of exercise (although I need to). I am 44 years old.

If you eat what God/Nature (whatever your beliefs) intended you will reach your target weight for your height. Then excercise for your health.

Since I have been back to homebrewing I have actually lost weight. Today I'm at a 32lb loss since February.
I think the key here is that I actually drink less of my home brew as compared to the majors in the same amount of time. The reason for me is, it has more taste, and a better kick so, I drink a little less. During the week I keep it to one 12oz a day and sometimes only half of that. Not to say that I don't blow it out every now and then on the weekends. I just savor it more than I would a 12 of MHL! Just regulate your intake and make room for the beer. I like to call it Beersert.

Exercise - limited to 12 oz curls.
I weigh the same now as I did when I turned legal in 1974. Some people gain weight just by looking at beer. I'm lucky I eat and drink what ever I want it don't gain an ounce.

I've lost 25 lbs and two belt sizes in 12 months by doing two pretty easy things:

1) I cut all soda (even diet), juices, etc. out of my diet. The only liquids I drink now are water, beer, wine and black coffee (maybe a glass of OJ once a week or so). I'd probably add milk to that list too, but my stomach isn't happy when I drink it. I still drink 2 beers or glasses of wine a night. If I used to drink 1.5 sodas per day on average, that's about 200 calories per day--good enough for probably one beer.

2) I turned a 12" typical lunchtime Subway sub to 6" (no mayo, no cheese, no chips, no soda (see #1). That's probably another 300-400 calories per day right there.

Ever hear of a full bar? I use beer the same way...when I drink a nice beer 30 min or so before dinner I find I eat way less (and I get to drink beer instead of eating some cardboard bran brick). Combine with a good high protein breakfast and a fresh, healthy lunch everyday and my weight has become manageable. There's room for beer in most diets.

Now if I could just find the time to exercise...

I have a friend who swears by the lite beer diet. The problem is, of course, you have to drink lite beer.

I'm fat and really miserable, I really want to lose weight and have for years but I am such a piece of **** weak minded person I have never been able to stick with it to make a difference.

I finally decided instead of cutting out everything to just start piling on the activity. That way I can drink and mostly eat what I want. Luckily for me I stopped gaining weight at around 240 and have not gone any higher. So I am hoping with just a simple lifestyle change of bike riding it can help bring me back to earth.

I bought a couple of bikes, rack and picking up a kid trailer this weekend. Here's to getting in better shape! :mug:

The secret is to combine the two, grab a couple friends and a couple six packs and take long hikes in isolated mountainous parks. Just don't fall off any cliffs and avoid whiskey (bad for hikes)

another tip to help things out is instead of 3 big meals a day, eat 6 or so smaller, almost snack size meals.

this also helps your energy levels through out the day immensely. At work after a big lunch I was always dead tired for an hour or two. Now I split my lunch into 3 parts and eat it over a period of 2-3 hours, no more afternoon crash!

I got into running (5K, 10K and mini's) this spring, and i've lost 10 pounds without changing my diet. but i only drink maybe two beers Monday-Thursday and maybe 5-6 the other days.

You might try Eat Right For Your Type by Peter J. D'Adamo. It focuses on the right foods (and excercise) for persons of the 4 blood types; O, A, B, and AB. Bodies with different blood types can tolerate different foods. I'm type O so I can eat meat fine but starches are something I must eat in moderation and my body just doesn't like wheat at all (so pasta got cut WAY back in my diet). All I did was tweek my diet towards what it recommends and my acid reflux completely went away and I maintain a good body weight without even exercising.

For me it's either beer or dessert but not both. Beer almost always wins.;)

For me it’s all a matter of calories in vs calories out.

That means watching consumption and some form of regular exercise. I watch what I eat. More whole grains, fresh vegetables, smaller portions and I skip the sweets and snacks (I prefer my calories in beer). Truth be told, I really don’t miss the junk and rather enjoy the foods that I eat.

The biggest sacrifice is no beer during the week, well there are occasions and sometimes I consider Thursday nights part of the weekend… ;)

Find a sustainable exercise program. One that won’t be derailed by weather or money or what ever other excuse pops up. I guarantee an overall improvement in the quality of your life and you get to drink more beer … ahhh beer.

Calories in vs. calories out...Occam's razor. This is what works for me. I do however indulge in junk food, I just step up my mileage when I go overboard with the food and beer. Currently, I'm seriously contemplating the 100 miles, 100 beers in a week challenge :)

I've never been overweight, but lately I'd been gaining a pound or two here and there and not taking it back off. So three months or so ago, I decided I needed to lose 10 pounds to get back down to where I wanted to be. The only thing that has helped me is actually keeping track of every single thing I eat and drink, and learning how many calories are in everything.

I downloaded a really great (and free) iPhone app called "Lose It!" that helped me tremendously.

Once I learned how many calories were in the things I ate, I learned what was worth the calories and what wasn't. I stopped drinking sugary drinks...that was the bulk of my diet modification, along with a little portion control. I still have a Coke every once in a while, and as long as at the end of the week I've eaten an average of 1850 calories a day that week, I can eat whatever I want. I haven't cut out beer at all. I'd rather save the calories for a couple of good beers than have french fries with lunch.

Now that I pretty much know the caloric content of what I take in, I don't keep track every day, I just have a pretty accurate general idea of how many calories I eat and drink, and how many I have left for the day at any given time.

I allow for the occasional splurge without feeling guilty; I just make it up by eating a little less on other days during the week. Even better, the app I mentioned starts on Monday and ends on Sunday, so you can proactively save up a little during the week , for the weekend.

Oweigh 135 pounds, and am very fit. I'm in better shape than my 19 year old daughter. I just had all of my blood tests done (first time to a doctor in many years) and my cholesterol is 185, and my blood pressure is 100/50. In the winter, I play hockey at least three days a week, but in the summer I bike, kayak, hike, play soccer, etc. It's fun if you make it part of your life.

And there you have it. Crash dieting isn't healthy, but getting regular exercise is. I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week, rugby practice twice a week with games on Saturdays. If I'm not playing summer 7s, then it's hitting the trails with my wife either hiking or on the bikes.

My workout consists of multiple reps of 12/15 curls. That would be 12oz of beer in one hand and my 15lb son in the other. Rinse and repeat.

I once had a 6 pack, then I got married and the 6'er grew to a party ball then the kid came and I've upgraded to a full keg. I'm shooting for a beer truck by the time I die. I'd settle for getting hit by one though.

got to exercise, my standing rule now is, if I don't ride the bike I don't get to drink

Best damn rule alive. I follow this same rule, only usually I have a the kids in the buggy behind me. If anything, they get to spend time with me, and they add extra weight. :mug:

Not many details...run 100 miles, drink 100 beers...all in one week:)

I suppose there would have to be 100 glasses of water thrown in there to survive.

14.28 miles a day, and 14.28 beers a day? Good luck. I could handle the latter, but the former would be brutal and make the latter damn near impossible.

14.28 miles a day, and 14.28 beers a day? Good luck. I could handle the latter, but the former would be brutal and make the latter damn near impossible.
How about 100 miles in one day. Now you have six days to drink 100 beers.
Less than 3 six packs a day. :drunk:

One of the things that worked for me was The Hackers Diet. It makes sense in my mind and the weigh your self everyday and see the cool graphs part did wonders for my psyche. Two years ago I lost 30 pounds (From 200 to 170) over the course of about 10 months just watching what I ate and weighing myself everyday.

Now of course over the last year and a half I did put 15 pounds back on, but I'm trying to work them off again. My biggest problem was I was working in a job where I did a ton of traveling. Eating out three times a day killed me.

You don't have to give up beer, but you probably ought to cut back. As you said, it adds a lot of calories, but it does not add much nutrition at all. An average of three pints of typical homebrew per day is worth well over a pound per week on your frame, maybe two pounds per week. That's a lot of calories you have to cut from food, and you might be sacrificing good nutrition for beer. That will not help matters at all. In fact, even if you lose weight, you may be doing more harm than good.

I got down to 165-170 from around 205-210 three and half years ago, and I've maintained my weight since. We do much of our own cooking at home with deliberate efforts for nutritious meals. I eat reasonable portions of good food. I work out around 4-5 times per week, usually for over an hour per day. I rarely drink more than a half-pint of beer per day during the week (or a small glass of wine or small other drink).

On the weekends, though, I tend to cut loose. I often eat like I was in college (at least in volume) and drink whatever I want. I can do that abd remain fairly healthy because of what I do during the week. As someone else said, you have to "earn" your indulgences.

TL

Love the Pic of Fantasy Island! I was just out there a few months ago. I ended up doing 2 full laps....

For those who say there is no way to exercise and enjoy beer. Your Only slightly off. Every tried a Hash Run?? Also labels as a drinking club with a running problem. Great group and even better parties!! Check out a local group.

The World Hash House Harriers Home Page

Back