Crush grains more at home with out mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
What method should I use if want to crush my grains a little more than what my LHBS does without a mill. I think the crush of the grains may be the culprit in my efficiency problem because I've tried just about everything else. I just don't think it's a good enough crush, and could be effecting my efficiency.

Rolling pin?? What else, and am I on the right track??

I know some folks turn their noses up at a corona-style mill, but I use one with GREAT results. Of course I'm only doing partial mashes, so there's not as much to crush. I could see how much more would be a real workout. But still, I grind to almost flour, and although there is some husk shredding, I've never gotten stuck or had any husk harshness. BTW, Charlie P. does it this way :p

I think its going to be difficult to mill a second time at home without an actual mill.

how serious are you about brewing? A barley crusher is only about $120 shipped. You could go the corona route...and spend time dicking around getting it to crush consistently without producing flour, or just get a real mill.

A roller mill is best but if it's out of your price range then a corona mill will work. The problem with using a corona mill is that they are designed to mill flour so it can be tricky to get a good crush without pulverizing the a lot of the barley or shredding the hulls. If you try one, set the gap wider than you think you'll want it and run some unmilled grain through it to see how things look and adjust from there. Corona mills also tend to come out of adjustment pretty easily so you'll probably have to readjust the gap from time to time during your crush. Some people here use corona mills frequently and are happy with them but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

In a pinch you can use a rolling pin on a fairly hard surface. I've used this for up to 6 lbs. It works better if you put most of your weight on one end of the rolling pin.

Back