Spike Homebrewing Kettle- 15 gallon custom kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everty2007

Reaction score
I just wanted to quickly post a shout out to Spike Homebrewing for the great job they did on my custom order.

They added two couplings for my recirculating coil along with their recently released sight glass. Welds look great and couplings are to spec, will be adding my heating element under the coil.

Thanks Spike for creating exactly what I was envisioning, cheers!

image-2941769984.jpg

image-3392409204.jpg

So you would boil your wort with the chiller firmly attached... interesting!

I would imagine that they are going to use it as a HLT utilizing the coil for HERMS temp control, unless they are going to be going in a 2 vessel direction than it will probably used as a chiller as well.

The vessel looks good btw

-G

Wow -- that thing is beautiful! I had no idea that they did custom welds; how much do they charge for that? (I can't find it on the site.)

I will be using this for my HLT and my HERMS setup. Ill be recirculating from the mash tun through the coil to step up my mash temps. I aready have a Spike kettle for my boil too.

I emailed them with what i was looking for and after a couple exchanges the plans were set n excited to brew my next beer with it.

The price was good in my opinion, considering that it was a custom job and not sure who else would have done this for me. Thr quote came back under $350 for what my specs were.

When i upgrade my mash tun from the cooler ill probably look at
Spike for that as well happy with thier products.

Looks good. I spoke with another company about doing custom welds on that same kettle and was informed that unfortunately they could not offer customization on that kettle because the steel was too thin for their welding setup. Nice to see Spike is able to offer that service.

Wonder if they offer tri-clamp fittings, if so I'd be looking at that kettle for a MLT. I think those kettles are a great economy option for a HLT or MLT.

Looks good. I spoke with another company about doing custom welds on that same kettle and was informed that unfortunately they could not offer customization on that kettle because the steel was too thin for their welding setup. Nice to see Spike is able to offer that service.

Wonder if they offer tri-clamp fittings, if so I'd be looking at that kettle for a MLT. I think those kettles are a great economy option for a HLT or MLT.

I've said it 1000 times but welding the thin stainless found in brew kettles is an art form. I've watched our welder weld up the kettles and I don't think even with 10 years practice I could make it look pretty.

We don't do tri-clamps at the moment unfortunately.

chrisgood1 said:
Did you build the HERMS coil or did you order it. Love the kettle but I would need to figure out the coil.

I actually purchased the coil, after attempting to bend my own n failed. You can find 50' stainless coils on eBay for around $80 compared to the $220 purchased but for sake of sanity i bought the coiled tubing.

The model i based my build on
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank?page=1

You can purchase a pre made coil here or bend your own using the guide listed above.
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-herms-coil

Back