Tried two AG batches with horrible efficiencies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krzewinskibe

Reaction score
Both times had efficienices in the mid 50s
10gal Igloo mash tun
single rest at 153-155F (first batch at 60min, 2nd batch at 90min)
batch sparge on both batches

probably too cool on the sparge water (was 168, but from what I read should be much hotter to get bed temp of 170)

thought it was mash time, so I raised it 50% on the 2nd recipe (went from 60 to 90min). I doubt the "cool" sparge drops efficiency that much so I'm inclined to believe its the grain crush. I made no attempt to correct the OG by boiling off excess water prior to hop addition.

first batch was good (palmers brown ale recipe), just lower ABV.

Hope 2nd batch doesn't suck too bad. I wanted to boil off the excess, but it was getting late last night and didn't have the 1-2 hours needed :( Its a super hopped IPA so I fear its not going to be quite balanced haha.

Both batches crushed by LHBS. I just gave in and ordered a MM3 (std roller with 1/2" shaft). Hope this cures my problems :D Plan to do a few test mashes with basic grains to measure consistency in efficiency before trying a new batch. :rockin:

More details about the sparge would help give a better picture. If you sparged only once try sparging two or three times to increase efficiency. I noticed a big jump when I went from one to two.

Thanks for the reply. I used a single sparge with 15min rest. There's lots of info in here that said minimal noticed difference going from single to multple sparges. considering I'm 20% down, I have a hard time believing sparge is the only problem. what kind of increase did you see going from 1 to 2?

Hey, at least I justifed buying a new piece of equipment :tank:

I figure the other variables will be worked out in my test mashouts.

I'm betting on crush. If you stir like crazy at every turn from dough-in thru sparge, it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold sparge or one or three sparges...your efficiency will be similar. Crush greatly affects it though.

Honestly, never tested, but I do have a clean underground spring source. I did use the PH stabilizer in the last mash to try it (with no dissernable difference). Guess I'll defer until after I get my new mill and try it out. So many variables, can't really change more than one at a time to know what has the most influence

Honestly, never tested, but I do have a clean underground spring source. I did use the PH stabilizer in the last mash to try it (with no dissernable difference). Guess I'll defer until after I get my new mill and try it out. So many variables, can't really change more than one at a time to know what has the most influence

That stabilizer doesn't really do jack other than increase your sodium content. The buffering capacity is minimal. It's pretty important to understand the water you are using. If it is off one way or the other, your mash pH could be WAY off. Grind is obviously important, but it should be pretty easy to see if your grains are all broken open.

After getting my BC my effiency went from 60% to 70% and after tightening it up my effiency is now at about 84%.

+1 for milling your own grain!

I'll double check my thermometer. Guess best way is to measure icewater to verify 32F and boiling water to verify 212? (I'm pretty much at sea level)

Definitely a +1 on the crush.

I increased my efficiency by 8% (72% to 80%) just by doing a finer crush.

The key is finding a crush which increases your efficiency but does not lead to a stuck sparge.

Cheers!

Definitely a +1 on the crush.

I increased my efficiency by 8% (72% to 80%) just by doing a finer crush.

The key is finding a crush which increases your efficiency but does not lead to a stuck sparge.

Cheers!

thats why I went with the MM3 vs MM2 mill...supposed to aid against stuck sparges....we'll see I suppose :D

I'll double check my thermometer. Guess best way is to measure icewater to verify 32F and boiling water to verify 212? (I'm pretty much at sea level)

most thermometers i've seen aren't accurate at boiling. Check it at freezing (ice water thouroughly mixed) and if you have other thermometers or a friend has one, check as many against each other at various temps, too.

icebath = 33.5 deg (hair off but not bad). IR thermometer I have reads 32.0F
hydrometer in cold tap water = 1.000

Hot tap water 112F, IR reads 111.5F

think thermometer is reasonably accurate :)

Don't use an ir thermometer on ' steaming' liquids. They also are very accurate only if they are calibrated to a certain material and you only check that material. The worst material is stainless steel, in which, they are worthless even if calibrated.

Copper on the other hand is perfect for an ir, but who has a copper mash tun? (homebrewer)

update...

made a test mash with 8.05lb of 2-row. Mashed at 2qt/lb @ 155F, Sparged at 170F. Crushed grains with my new MM3 set at 0.041" on the 3rd roller. 90 min mashout and 30min batch sparge. hit 78.6% efficiency!!!

Back