Anyone have a 240v HERMS Brewtroller wiring diagram example?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaJoe

Reaction score
I'm moving from the land of a single 120v 2000 watt element & PID to dual 240v 4500 watt elements, dual pumps and Brewtroller controlled setup.

But for the life of me I can't seem to figure out my wiring plans.

I'd like to use DIN Rail mounted components as much as possible such as SSR's, terminal blocks.

I planning on having a 50amp spa subpanel installed which will be connected to the control panel via a CS6375 inlet and CS6364 twist lock connector. I've got a 20x20x8 enclosure and would like to keep all (if possible) my components in DIN rail format.

I'm planning on 10-12 12v motorized ball valves and 2 March pumps for my plumbing.

I went with 50a service so that I could run the 4500 watt element in both my boil kettle and HLT at the same time. That way I can save some time when I do back to back batches. I'd love to be able to use 2 5500 watt elements but I'm not sure if I could do that on 50a service.

I will be using a 50ft 1/2" SS coil in the HLT as a HERMS. I will have a temp probe in the HEX output, the HLT, MLT, BK and the plate chiller output.

This will all be controlled via a Brewtroller. The valves and pumps will be controlled via this relay board and I'd like to use 3 position Auto/Off/On switches too.

Im still trying to track down some reasonably priced DIN rail mounted 40A SSR's. Speaking of which, I'd like to switch both legs of the elements or should I not worry about that?

So to recap, a 3 vessel HERMS system with automated valves and elements in the BK & HLT. I'd like to use 3 way lighted maintained switches for the valves, elements and pumps.

Did I forget anything?

I am working on making my diagram and have a rough draft done. i havnt posted it yet but my thread is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/my-e-herms-brew-rig-thread-285862/

I could help you figure it out. First off, two 5500W elements will be fine on a 50 amp circuit. Therefore, i would recommend you go ahead and use the Camco 5500W ULWD elements for maximum heating power.

All the temp probes will be easy. I built mine myself and you could do the same using the stainless tubes you can by from OSCS and JB weld. There is a how-to on here to make thermowells that should get you started.

I found some 25A ssr's for cheap on ebay. That's all you need you would just need to use one ssr for each element.

For your valves, you will need an equal number of single pole, double throw, center off switches to do what you are trying to do. I am sure you can find the lighted ones with that spec.

Let us know specifically what you are having difficulty with on the wiring. I am sure you are missing something there - what about a main power switch for example? e-stop?

I also recommend you search around for the ball valves. I got them considerably cheaper from a different chinese company (not KLD).

Back