Brew Day Postponed, What To Do With Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enggboy

Reaction score
I am looking for a bit of advice:

My brew partner and I were goign to do a batch this weekend at his place where all of the equipment is. These plans got railroaded yesterday when his wife delivered their first child two weeks early! Needless to say, the brew day is going to be put on hold for a week or two...

I have been stepping up a starter on a stir plate this week and at the moment I have a 2L starter swirling away that I was going to put in the fridge tonight to start dropping the yeast out of suspension.

My question is how would it be best to store this yeast? Should I decant the liquid and pour a slurry into a mason jar for storage in the fridge, only to do another starter the day before we brewe next, or should I just put the entire 2L flask in the fridge and put it back on the stir plate the day before the brew?

Any other ideas? Thanks!

I would imagine either would work, but you might want to step it up one more time right before you brew with it, just to get the yeast going again.

Thanks for the input!

I will just store the flash in the fridge until we get ready to brew again, then I will decant the old wort, top up with fresh and stir for a day, then cold crash for a day to drop the yeast out again.

Thanks again, your advice is appreciated! :)

I had 2 different starters in the beer fridge for a long time. I made em then got side tracked and couldn't brew...after over a month I decanted and pitched em.. worked fine.. I think as long as your sanitation is good and you visually check to make sure the yeast aren't all dead and brown looking you will be fine even if you do not add fresh wort and "restart" the yeast.

Latest posts

Back