pipe thread sealant: ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbspindel

Reaction score
i bought some Rectorseal, Slow dry, soft set pipe thread sealant (it's a red label, with a big #5 on it). It says it's safe for potable water up to 400*F, but of course nothing about boiling wort or mashing, etc. It's not pipe dope, at least not branded as such, and just wanna make sure it's a safe product for use on valve and bulkhead threads on MT, HLT, and BK.

Thanks, as usual!

here's the product: http://www.lowes.com/pd_45364-72720-25631_0_?productId=1087353&Ntt=rectorseal&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=rectorseal$y=0$x=0

I have never heard of this stuff. But, I would use teflon tape for all threads in your system. There is nothing to leech into your wort, and it is super cheap.

i've used teflon and still developed a small drip. i'm not concerned with the loss of liquid, more so the cleanup of a drip coming off the valve, keggle, stand, and eventually the garage every time i brew. I'm all weldless, hand tightened, so just wanted to get the threads good and sealed.

anyone with more experience, or maybe a plumber/brewer?

oh wow. and that does it good? you've got weldless? never leaks? i go for the standard 3-5 wraps typically.

nbspindel, are you sure it's leaking from the threads and not the no-weld seal or perhaps hoses on the hose barbs?

I can't recall the last leak I had from NPT threads, brewing or house plumbing. Hoses on barbs, yes. FWIW, I only use the pink, thicker, teflon tape.

I don't have any no-weld stuff.

Back