I got a pizza stone for my birthday.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a wonderful addition to ones kitchen and not just for pizza, we leave ours in the oven all the time. It also helps other things cakes, pies and such cook more evenly.

Cheers..

I love my stone but always had problems getting the pizza to the cutting board until I got a pizza peel. It has made it much easier.

Ash-Peel-1-lg.jpg

They're also great for any kind of bread. I bought a massive Fibrament baking stone. The thing is 3/4" thick.

06_25.jpg

Those Superpeels are awesome, btw. If you get one, make sure you don't get the cheap knockoff that uses parchment paper as the conveyor belt - they're junk. The original uses a canvas belt and it's fantastic for transferring slack doughs onto the stone.

-Joe

I also keep my stone in the oven. I make pizza once a week (sometimes 2). My stone is now almost black from useage. I keep it clean, but it is well seasoned, so to speak. I am getting quite proficient at making dough and sauce. I have also been told that the pizza screens are great for crispy crust on pizza and calzones. Haven't tried one yet, but SWMBO is looking for one while out and about.

Salute! :mug:

I didn't realize how dark my stone had gotten until I got another one. The new one seems white by comparison.

I have a calzone in the oven now, kinda from the left overs from yesterday that weren't cooked out and I cracked an egg on top of the mix, nice.

next step is definitely a peel.

Theyre great and definitely cook pizza evenly. Sometimes I like a crispier crust than the stone can provide though... I have to pull it off the stone and let the oven heat get directly to it... I only do that on thin crust stuff, like margarita pizza. The thick crust is great on a stone, it cooks so evenly, there's no doughy center

I used my pizza stone when I had a gas oven, but the screen works better in an electric. I do occasionally use the stone in the smoker.

I used to use two stones until I broke one. I'd have one on top to like make my oven into a pizza oven. I found it really didn't do much to improve my pizza, so I just use the one stone now.
I too love how well it bakes a pizza crust.

I have picked up a new tip on making amazing pizza and it doesn't need a stone.

Basically most home ovens won't get up to a sufficient temperature for making pizza, it's even hit and miss with a pizza stone I find.

In any case I have a new method that I've picked up on Food network which uses a pan. Basically make your base, roll it out and put it in a hot dry frying pan, then build your sauce and fillings on top, cook it on the pan until the bottom is good and then put it under a hot grill to finish the top.
It turns out the most amazing pizza that really well emulates a stone forno pizza, I can't recommend it enough.

Try it out and report back.

I am not going to use my pizza stone in the future as this was far superior.

I oil and season the bottom of my crust. Gives a nice fried dough taste

Back