grape and granary ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug1395

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering several kits by mail for the first time and I was wondering if anybody ever used grape and granary out of akron ohio.I was going to try norther brewer or midwest like everone says.Grape and granary are close and I would not mind giving they a try if ther kits are tasty and fresh. Thanks

I started my brewing obsession with equipment and kits from Grape and Granary. Never was disappointed. Even won a blue ribbon with their American Hefeweizen kit.

They are a semi-LHBS for me. Definitely the one I shop at when I need ingrerdients. They do a brisk local business as well as mail order. Freshness of ingredients should never be a problem with them. I did their holiday ale kit this year and it was a big hit. Just went this past weekend to pick up ing's for my latest adventure. I can reccomend them, however, I think their prices tend to be slightly higher than the competition. Sicne i Can shop them locally and not deal with shipping costs I come out within a couple of dollars to the mail order joints.

i shop at the grape now, they are a great place to get supplies at. there prices are very competitive with most online stores especially if you have to pay shipping online, or if the grape is close to you. i havent tried their kits, but i did do an AG of edworts haus pale ale with all ingredients bought from them, and their 1 stage equipment setup, and everything has worked great for me, bottling that brew this weekend. good luck with what you plan to do!

I was sorting through books last may and ran across 2 of my old books I used with my Mr. beer 16 years ago. Bought the mr Beer at sears when I was 18, If i could not buy i would make. I used that and there kits for a fe years and then forgot about it. I decided to do some research online. I looked for a local shop. I work about 15 miles away from the store. I stopped in one day and spent 2 bills on equipment, bottles and kits! I have brewed their Belgian wit, light ale, cream ale, dortmunder, Irish ale, german wheat, american wheat, american IPA. All are excellent except the light ale was too light for me, if you are looking for a bud ight it is perfect. If you want a tasty lighter beer, the dortmunder is amazing. If you like IPA that are not extreme, the american IPA is a great crisp beer. The german wheat is close to a hoogarden. I also did a pumpkin kit from midwest, came out great! Grape and granary people are great! The quiet guy with the beard and glasses that is always working has great knowledge and answers any questions.

Lived in Akron for three years while my wife was in law school. Got all my stuff from them. Good folks, and reasonable prices. They've got lot's of grain, and their stuff is fresh. Most of their kits, from what I remember, are the best recipes that they've come across both from employees and helpful patrons.

Moving up from Mr. Beer to 5 gallon. Just put together a list of equipment centered around Better Bottle, and selected the Grape and Granary Dry Irish Stout, Steam Beer, Helles Bock/Maibock, and IPA to start with. Gonna be about 300 bucks, but I'm driving out to see my sister in Kent this week, so I figured I'd stop by and buy the stuff while I'm there. Save on the shipping to NJ since I'm gonna be driving anyway...I'll let you know how it went.

I was sorting through books last may and ran across 2 of my old books I used with my Mr. beer 16 years ago. Bought the mr Beer at sears when I was 18, If i could not buy i would make. I used that and there kits for a fe years and then forgot about it. I decided to do some research online. I looked for a local shop. I work about 15 miles away from the store. I stopped in one day and spent 2 bills on equipment, bottles and kits! I have brewed their Belgian wit, light ale, cream ale, dortmunder, Irish ale, german wheat, american wheat, american IPA. All are excellent except the light ale was too light for me, if you are looking for a bud ight it is perfect. If you want a tasty lighter beer, the dortmunder is amazing. If you like IPA that are not extreme, the american IPA is a great crisp beer. The german wheat is close to a hoogarden. I also did a pumpkin kit from midwest, came out great! Grape and granary people are great! The quiet guy with the beard and glasses that is always working has great knowledge and answers any questions.

:off:tyger? where do you live, TM? Are we close?

A friend from Akron told me that the folks at G&G used to be partners with the folks at L.D. Carlson. They had different views on what the wanted to do and went their separate ways. No mention of it being a 'hostile' break so they probably still get a lot of their stuff from the nearby L.D.C.

I started off with Coopers kits on a whim and found out I like this beer thing...Once I visited "the grape" I got hooked even more. I've purchased their robust porter and oatmeal stout extract kits. All have turned out well. They even have a Belgian Tripel with 11-12 lbs of fermentables. Needless to say it's like a 10% beer, but dang that box was heavy. Very good staff and I've always had good service from them. It's my LHBS:mug:

Wish I could go to the actual store! I won't be hitting Kent till the weekend and they'll be closed. I did give my extensive "grocery list" to my family to pick everything up for me so I can drive it back to NJ. Can't wait to begin 5 gallon batches. My Keezer parts are almost all together!!!!!!!! This may be my best Christmas ever....:ban:

I haven't shopped there myself, but a couple friends have recommended it. They're a bit out the way for me, though I haven't found anyplace closer yet.

If you're in Kent/Brimfield, there is a small shop (Abruzzo's) there that is my LHBS. They are in a small plaza at 43 & 76. They have their own kits as well as some Brewers Best stuff in stock. Lots of Hops & yeast in the fridge, and Chris & Matt are good guys to deal with. http://www.abruzzos.com/

My first batch was done with a Grape and Granery kit, oatmeal stout specificly. It was delicous, although my perception was likely skewed being the first beer I ever made. A few months afterwards I had a commerical oatmeal stout at a restaraunt that tasted exactly like the beer I had made.

Wish I could go to the actual store! I won't be hitting Kent till the weekend and they'll be closed. I did give my extensive "grocery list" to my family to pick everything up for me so I can drive it back to NJ. Can't wait to begin 5 gallon batches. My Keezer parts are almost all together!!!!!!!! This may be my best Christmas ever....:ban:

Bruin if you're going to be in Kent go to Abruzzos, it's in Brimfield next to the Wendy's. I get all my stuff from there, I find their prices to be better than G&G and Chris has created some pretty sweet kits. I make his Arrogant Bastard clone and Mad Cow milk stout all the time. Either way all the stores around here have pretty good selection and fresh ingredients due to LD Carlson being located in Kent.

I'm a long-time G&G customer. John and his people are friendly and very willing to help out -- their website has a forum and John almost always posts answers to questions.

I've never had a problem with any of their ingredients or equipment. An all-around great place.

Bruin if you're going to be in Kent go to Abruzzos, it's in Brimfield next to the Wendy's. I get all my stuff from there, I find their prices to be better than G&G and Chris has created some pretty sweet kits. I make his Arrogant Bastard clone and Mad Cow milk stout all the time. Either way all the stores around here have pretty good selection and fresh ingredients due to LD Carlson being located in Kent.

That Mad Cow is a great beer! I've got a whole batch of it bottle conditioning right now! :mug:

I'm going to have to go to both the Grape and Granary and Abruzzo's next week, I guess!

Isn't there a brewery in Akron, something about frogs, also?

If you come in on 76 then G&G wouldn't be too far out of your way. Looks like the other is just off 76.

If you come in on 76 then G&G wouldn't be too far out of your way. Looks like the other is just off 76.

I will probably go mid-week, or later in the week. I need corks for sure, and I'd like to get about 200 or so. And I can always use various other supplies, as well as restocking my commercial beer supply.

Hoppin' Frog is in Akron: http://www.hoppinfrog.com/

Their big stouts are good, their IPA's are not bad, either. I brought some home from my trip to Chicago last summer.

Yes, that's it! Eric, thanks for helping out this middle aged brain.

I think an HBT friend that I met in Cleveland, iamaguitargod, got a job there a while back. I just remember the word "frog". I think I've had some of their IPAs.

Any other good local brews to pick up while I'm in Kent/Akron?

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I checked out the website for Abruzzo's, and decided on G&G because there were no pics for the products on the Kent place website, and their Better Bottle related stuff was a little more expensive. In any case, I will be sure to check out BOTH places next time I'm out, unfortunately I'm sure they will both be closed on Sunday, and that's when I'm leaving. I'm obsesssing about brewing, and will soon have a killer 5 gallon setup and keezer. Have 8 kegs so far, will have 3 faucets running in all.

So since we're all talking about The Grape. What do you think of the G&G American Cream Ale kit? Or should I start with a different recipe kit?

So since we're all talking about The Grape. What do you think of the G&G American Cream Ale kit? Or should I start with a different recipe kit?

Do they list the ingredients? It's probably a good kit, but I've never done it so I couldn't say for sure without knowing what's in it.

Never bought any G&G kits, but I buy most of my bulk grains from them. I usually order/pay online, then pick up in person the next day. Makes for a quick in and out trip for me since that place can be pretty busy at times.

I forgot about Abruzzo's. Nice shop, but they don't stock bulk grains. They usually have a good selection of everything else though. LD Carlson is right down the road, but they won't sell to us common folk.

My folks stopped by the Grape and Granary in Akron, OH with my wishlist! Got a 6 gallon Better Bottle and a bunch of accessories, a wort chiller, various drill powered aerator/fermenter cleaning tools, four extract kits (IPA, Irish dry stout, Steam Beer, Helles Bock/Maibock) a **** load of PBW, and a few other tools. My wife got me a stainless 10 gallon brewpot. I got myself the 15 cubic foot freezer for the keezer, which is being delivered on 12/28. Oh, since I got my wife a Kitchen Aid, I noticed one of the accessories is a grain mill! All grain, here I come!

My folks stopped by the Grape and Granary in Akron, OH with my wishlist! Got a 6 gallon Better Bottle and a bunch of accessories, a wort chiller, various drill powered aerator/fermenter cleaning tools, four extract kits (IPA, Irish dry stout, Steam Beer, Helles Bock/Maibock) a **** load of PBW, and a few other tools. My wife got me a stainless 10 gallon brewpot. I got myself the 15 cubic foot freezer for the keezer, which is being delivered on 12/28. Oh, since I got my wife a Kitchen Aid, I noticed one of the accessories is a grain mill! All grain, here I come!

I don't know first hand but some have said the grain mill option on the Kitchen Aid isn't very useful for our purposes. Do a search and check out some other threads though. Since I don't use one I may have missed something since I didn't follow along that closely. Sounds like you are in good shape though. G&G crushes so no worries there anyhow.

I read some of the same posts. There are, however, several posters who actually have this mill and think highly of it. Some of these posts were on other brewing forums. I think I'm going to give it a try, I can get one from Amazon for 93 bucks. It will be attached to a heavy duty professional series Kitchen Aid. I Called Kitchen Aid and they felt that on the coarse setting needed for cracking the grain, not grinding it to flour, it would not be much of a load on the machine. I'll be sure to post my review when I get it. The only down side I can see for sure is the hopper size. I think rigging an expansion hopper out of an upside down jug with the bottom cut out should not be difficult.

Back