Quick help needed for fridge/kegerator conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
My buddy and I are converting an upright fridge into a kegerator at this very moment. We hit a bit of a snag, mainly due to poor planning and drinking too much pre-build. Anyway, we decided where we wanted to holes, measured and drilled our first hole. Unfortunately it came through inside too close to a side wall in the door. At the top of the door where the little compartments for butter and eggs are is where we came through. Its too close to an edge to get the nut on the back. So, we cut the plastic our around it and think we can attach the taps no problem. However, now the plastic inside is all jagged and cut up.

This is going to be a gift so we are trying to decide if we should make it look nicer. I think our only option is to tear out ALL of the plastic lining and put in a sheet of plywood. Has anyone done that? Is it a horrible idea? Is it hard to attach the plywood to the door securely without drilling through the front of the door?

Thanks for ANY help, we really need to finish this today/tomorrow.

Some people use white "dry erase" board to line the fridge door on akegerator...avail at your nearest home senter...a gift huh?

Perhaps its time to step away from the drill andhave another beer...tomorrow mightbe a better day.:mug:

If you remove the plastic on the door you should be able to easily replace it with a piece of flat plastic cut to fit. A cover from a fluorescent light fixture would work nicely once trimmed to size.

I replaced the door shelving panel in my fermentation fridge so that I could fit more carboys in there. Plywood is a bit too thick to be able to use with the original rubber seal on most fridges, so I used 1/8" thick white hardboard. It worked great, and looks good too.

Back