label, and adhesive question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
Here's my newly designed label, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm printing them on plain white paper but using a thermal wax printer, so they come out with a nice sheen and being wax, they should be pretty darn waterproof.

Now what is everyone doing for adhesive? I've tried using milk and it held surprinsgly well, but when the bottle was sweaty the came off pretty easily. Does a glue stick hold better when sweaty? I'm thinking the milk will be a lot easier since you just dunk it and stick it on, whereas with a glue stick you'd have to trace around the edges...

steam.jpg

yeah, I did forget the label :)

Any techniques to make glue stick application easier? Seems like a pain to have to paint it around the edges and not get glue all over the table and your fingers...

Now I see it! Looks very good.

I've not dealt with labels yet, but I would certainly avoid getting glue on my table. Clamp a small piece of plexiglass down on the table and let the glue get on that. Easy cleanup, no glue on the table.

Lexan, Lucite, Perspex are all common trade names for plexiglass. You can buy it in precut sizes at hardware and big box home stores (Home Depot, Lowes).

Really seems like there ought to be a better way, though. Using glue sticks sounds time consuming.

I use wax paper on the table when I label, but then again I only label the bottles I give away and dont plan on seeing again.

The glue stick is a bit time consuming BUT so is scrubbing them little buggers off. You can put in the time when ya put the labels on or you can put it in when ya take them off . . . but you're gonna put in the time.

Do the labels attached with glue stick fall off easily in cold water? Just wondering about putting assorted brews in a tub of ice, as the ice melts..........

So far I've only labelled my wines and meads, but those labels are a pain in the ash to take off. I've got an assortment of brews on the go now, and the holidays are coming.

well I ended up doing my batch with milk, because I had it on hand. I'd highly recommend it.. Granted I haven't tried a glue stick, but I can't imagine it would be as quick and easy as milk since with the glue stick you'd have to trace around the edges which would be more time consuming.

I put a few tbsp of milk on a plate and the wife and I just slid a label through it, put the label on the bottle and smoothed it out with a towel. It took us less about 5 minutes to do 50 bottles. The bottles have since been in the refrigerator and taken out to sweat and none have come off prematurely. However, after 30 seconds of running under hot water, they come off on their own with no residue.

Back