Going for a "grainy" taste, any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisedjohn

Reaction score
I love what comes across to me as if I was tasting the barley itself in some beers like Bitburger and Stella - what I'd call a very "grainy" taste. Not sure how much of what I like in there is a hops or other characteristic - but I'd like to experiment towards those flavors I like in a session beer.

In my first all-grain attempt at this, I'm going to do some extreme measures to pull alot of grain flavor (which I really like - I think) from the mash. I plan to do this by using all 2-row, milling it fine (22-24 mil), loose mash (2 qts water: 1 lb grain), low mash at 145F for 60-90, then slowly step up to 170F mash out before slowly (30 min) fly sparging with 170F water. I'm just going to do one bittering hop addition at 60 min and am trying to hit 1.048-ish OG and using a German Ale yeast at basement temps (62) for a few weeks.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about in these beers and has crafted something that comes close, would you please post some tips for me. I would LOVE to arrive at a session beer recipe that has this characteristic that could be my staple brew. BTW - ale yeast temps is a must for me (being in Milwaukee, WI and not wanting to take the time or money for lagering) and I plan to bottle ferment for quite some time.

Welcome to the Forum. You maybe want to put this in the recipes section. for more help.

Try an English Mild for a nice malty taste.

Very interesting read. Thanks for passing on that information - the process makes sense. Now I've got to figure out if that flavor I like is coming from the grainy flavors aided by extraction from sparging or malty flavors helped by the opposite. Thanks for your time.

Could someone specify what they consider a "grainy" taste? Grainy and malty mean different things to me. :(

Oddly enough, i consider fuggles hops to be kinda grainy, yet malty is sweet. I know this makes no sense.

Back