Chit-Chat for Orrelse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
alrighty! Orrelse wants a little more general chit-chat, so here goes. we've been swaping sud's tips and techniques for a while, but we don't know too much about each other. let's list what we do for a living, how old we are, hobbies, married, single, kids, and our favorite beer to brew, etc.

i'll go first:
i'm 32 years old, been brewing for 6 years now (all-grain now). born and raised in Beaumont, Texas and lived in Dallas and Houston for a while after my first marriage was under way. now i'm back home and re-married, no kids, only a awesome boxer named Batist. i'm a regional manager for an environmental consulting company out of houston, with a degree in Occupational Safety and Health from Lamar University in Beaumont. we do groundwater, wastewater, industrial hygiene personnel exposure assessments, env. site assessments, etc. been doing that for 11 years and HATE IT! i'd love to be scrapping spent hops out of a hot kettle somewhere, and riding a mountain bike to work everyday........screw $2.05 for a gallon of gas!
anyway, i dig cooking homemade pizza's (homemade dough of course!), boiling crawfish for the families, smoking ribs and pulled pork, the blues and kick-your-ass rock 'n roll.

i even had my 15 minutes of fame. probably more like 2 minutes! when i bought my first Harley (used '91 FXR) i joined the Harley Owners Group. the next monday at work, i got a fax saying i was the 500,000 member to join. it was cool. they sent a photographer down, did a photo shoot for 3 days, put me on the cover of Hog Tails (HOG monthly mag), shipped my bike, my wife and I to Milwaukee for the National rally, gave me a killer HD jacket, treated us like royalty the whole time we where there (drank some good beer there too!).i brew 5 gallon batches with a Rubbermaid cooler maush/lauter tank set-up, and do ales and lagers. don't have a favorite brew. depends on my mood that day, 'cause i like 'em all!

i think it's pretty damn cool how we all come together, with a common goal to brew beer and gain knowledge of brewing. i'd get a kick out of meeting everyone and trying some of everyone's beer. talk about a hoot! :D

Guess I'll go next since I'm pretty new here.

I'm 40 yrs old, widower with 2 kids, got remarried about 5 years ago. Kids were very happy, I made a lousy mom. Originally from NM, TX area, spent 9 years in the Navy working on boilers and playing policeman, got out and moved to NC. I now do desktop support for Cisco. (I fix laptops and printers that people spill soda's in, and sometimes beer). My other hobbies include collecting/restoring straight razors, and yes, I do use one to shave with, and rock crawling/off roading with our jeeps. Current project is rebuilding a friends Toyota FJ40 into a rock crawling buggy.

I started brewing about 4 years ago, quit because I hated bottleing, my wife just bought me a kegerator and kegging setup for fathers day so I'm back into brewing and looking forward to learning more.

DeRoux's Broux, I wish I paid only $2.05 for gas, but my truck is diesel and it's running $2.29 here. And I love Crawfish. I look forward to visiting family in LA just to get some.

I was in LA last week. Alexandria, Ft. Polk and Nawlins'. :D

My turn...I’m 50yo. I’ve been brewing since 1993. I won Best of Style and Best of Show with a German-Style Hefe Weizen in a local HB Contest in 1997. Happily married. I have 3 stepdaughters (we don’t use the "step" word in our house), 6 grandkids and 3 greatgrandkids with another one due in a couple of weeks. I’ve been working for the Federal Gov’t for over 31 years. I started in the Army in ’72 and became a civilian in 1980. I started working as a Gov’t civilian in 1981. I have just over 4 years to retirement. :D My specialty is Army weapons. Actually the use and maintenance and instructing of all pistols, rifles, grenade launchers, machine guns, mine dispensers/clearers, helicopter armament, artillery (towed and SP), and some limited Bradley and M1 Abrams Tank experience. Right now I work on the M109A6 Paladin, 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer out of Rock Island, IL. I used to be a Logistics Assistance Representative and deployed to Kosovo several times (with the 1st ID and 82nd Airborne). I was supposed to go to Iraq, but refurese the Anthrax shot as it being ILLEGAL. We won our court case earlier this year. Now the Army made them voluntary. Cut off my 3rd ponytail (about 16 inches) last year. I’m originally from NJ, but have lived in several other States: PA, NC (3X), IL (2X), CA, OK and TX. I also lived in Germany (2X) for a combined period of 9 years. I’ve vacationed in 49 States (missing Alaska), most of southern Canada, been to the Caribbean (3-5X), most of the Western and some Eastern European countries as well as Turkey (technically Asia) and Korea. Yes, I have sampled more than my fair share of the local brews ever place I’ve been. Yes, I admit it - I’ve had a fantastic life so far. I’ve also been playing guitar since 1971. I have 5 of them to include my ’76 Fender Telecaster Deluxe and several Strats, several amps and about a dozen pedals. I like ‘70s-‘80s rock and So Rock mostly. I’ve been in several bands in NJ and NC. I used to be a long distance runner (4:14 mile) until a mountain climbing accident in Germany. there's a bunch of other things too, but my memory is going too.... :D

But, enough about me………………………..

Okay here goes. I'm 47 married with two step kids(one of each) Sean resently discharged from marines after a tour in Iraq at the start of the war and Jennifer is currently there with the 2nd MEU. One grandson (aside to HB99, I thought Iwas bad being a grandfather at 45 but great's at 50 Whew). I started brewing a cuople of years ago when my wife and stepdaughter bought me a kit for Christmas. Was kind of slow but starting to pick up steam now that I am getting involved with the forums. I like to bowl and play golf when my back lets me and guess I am what you would call a Sci-Fi geek. I do tech support for the network of a large national bank here in Albany NY. Hope to see if there are more homebrewers from my area as it seems the majority are from the south(you guys are lucky, you can brew outdoors in the winter, hard to do up here in 3 feet of snow)

rsitzejr said:
And I love Crawfish. I look forward to visiting family in LA just to get some.

cool stuff! i wondered where the straight razor bit ame into play from your signature. i must admit, it's the first time i've heard of that as a hobby. pretty cool :cool:
where in LA is your family at? most my family came from Jennings, LA. really, all down the IH-10 corridor from Beaumont, TX to Baton Rouge.

HB99, wow! that's a cooool job. i'm not a military guy, but i dig all that hardware! and yes, sounds like you've had a good one so far!

rsitzejr said:
Baton Rouge, I haven't been down to visit in years though.

Well, I was through BR twice last week.... :D on my way from/to Nawlins'. I dropped my wife off to spend a couple of days with her sister (Chalmette) while I went to Ft. Polk to mod some 120mm Mortars. Ugh! 97F with a heat index of 107! :eek:

DeRoux's Broux said:
i forgot to mention my name in my post, Brian DeRouen.

So you are French? Brian of Rouen.

I spent 2 days in Rouen. Very nice city. They have a couple of large churches there.

That's also where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. They have an "Eternal Flame" (supposedly) on the exact spot as well as a church named after her.

Incidently, they also have a statue of JOA outside the Cathedral at Reims where all the French kings were crowned.

Additionally, in the year 800, the Frankish king "Charlemagne" was crowned the First Holy Roman Emperor in Aachen, and the French take their name from his line. He is called Karl der Grosse in Germany and is buried in Aachen, Germany (been there too). I lived in Oberfranken area of Bavaria, Germany for 5 years (Augsburg for 4 years) and like Medieval history.

I am 40 years old, a Sr. environmental technician with a B.S. degree in soils. I smell dirt for a living and basically try to clean up everybody's mess's.I would rather be bird hunting behind my Brittany, fishing, shooting handguns and of course, brewing, serving and drinking beer, but none of that seems to pay the bills. I am married with three daughters which of course drives me to consume more than I brew.....Way to much estrogen. I am an extract brewer with 155 gallons under my belt. I just recently started force kegging and love it. I will admit though, that as we speak, there is a keg of Michelobe Golden Lite in my fridge. Hey...I can't have the neighbors suck down all my good beer! Anyway, I love the forum and the info.

I'm 30 years old, a parole officer with a B.A. in Psychology. I've been brewing for 5 years and just started all-grain 3 batches ago. I don't have any kids and don't plan on any. My wife feels the same way.

Other than brewing, for fun, I ride my Yamaha VStar 1100 and am currently working on fixing it up to be more powerful. Just changed out the carbs today.. new pipes next week. I also enjoy my job most of the time, especially foot pursuits and building searches. It's like tag and hide-and-seek for adults... only with guns :)

My current favorite beers are IPAs although I have a nice range to my pallate - I have a belgian wit in secondary right now. I read this forum just about daily and learn something new all the time.

Adam

My turn,
I'm 37 years old today. How come that doesn't seem special after age 21? I'm a cable T.V. tech on a big rural cable system in coastal N.C. My wife and I have 2 kids ( son, 14, daughter, 12 ) , 2 dogs, 8 cats, 5 horses, 1 donkey, 4 goats, 3 chickens, and 5 ducks. Anybody know where I can find a buffalo cheap? I can remember not liking beer as a kid, but don't recall learning to love it. I do love it so ! The wife and I have a small farm East of New Bern, N.C. She trains horses and teaches kids to ride. The family gave me a Mr. Beer kit a couple of years ago. I wasn't impressed. I don't really know what made me decide to try brewing again, but I'm enjoying the Hell out of it ! The idea of brewing what I want, when I want is cool. I've always been the type that felt that if I could build, plumb, make it myself, then it had the potential to be better than what I could buy. I've been very happy with my beer so far. Some tasted better than others, but they all worked. The best thing I've found so far in my brewing quest is this site. I'm really having a good time here. My biggest problem has been posting a question while drinking and forgetting where I posted it. I look forward to getting a beer in the evenings and hanging out with you guys. As long as I have the Forums, I never drink alone.

Sudsmonkey ( Wesley)

OK.....I'm 30 yrs old, married with one 3 yr old hellion. I'm a Technical Sergeant in the USAF. My "specialty" is weather forecasting. My wife is also in the USAF...she's an air traffic controller. Our schedules, along with the little man, make free-time a real commodity.

Besides brewing, I guess my next "thing" is my bike. I've got a 2003 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport, and I love riding the hell out of it. It's harder to find time to ride it than it is to brew here at home, so brewing tends to be my main hobby! I also collect knives, and at one time played guitar, but haven't put much time into it as of late.

I'm 31, married for 6 years and have a 2 girls (4 and 1). I teach middle school health and p.e. I also coach football and wrestling. I went to a brewing class a month ago, and was hooked. In the past month, I brewed 3 extract kits, built a 3 tier system, and brewed my first AG last week.

Having summers off gives me plenty of time for a hobby. I think I finally found one. Brewing is great, I may be more excited about the science of it than actually drinking excessively, but they are tasting pretty damn good too! If I'm not outside playing with my girls, there's a good chance I'm sitting in the garage next to the kegerator watching Nascar. I watch and follow Nascar and some drivers the same way somebody follows major league baseball, I'm just a huge fan. Fast cars, great tailgaiting, and cold beer!

Anyway, this forum is great! I've learned a ton and usually check in daily.

My wife is already bugging me about going on this site too much.. but I'm learning so much. Married 24 years, two kids who live away in California, and my work is an exec director of a non-profit that funds medical care for the uninsured. Been brewing for a little over a year, and just started brewing wine. The fun for me is the recipes and seeing if I can make something that people enjoy. My daughter took a few of my ales to pass out at her work... I got a comment back from her that one of the guys said, "Best beer I ever had." NOW THAT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT!!!!

Awesome thread DeRoux!

Alright, my turn. I am 32 years old, active duty Air Force for the last 14+ years. My wife is active duty as well and is in the same career field as me and Sam75. She is currently deployed to Afghanistan. I am currently going to school to be an auto mechanic for life after the Air Force. It is something I've always wanted to do. I'm going to do the full program too, so not only will I concentrate on the mechanic side, but I want to be able to do body work as well. I have dreams of restoring a muscle car and an old Jeep CJ-7 someday.
I started brewing in January of 2005 after many years of WANTING to do it. I just started all-grain because I want to do it the way REAL breweries do it, and I'm amazed at what you can get out of 4 basic ingredients.

I grew up in rural Wisconsin so I'm a HUGE Packer fan. Packers are my life. I have a HUGE collection of Packer stuff and when I retire from the Air Force I am going to build a bar in my basement to display all of it. I'm also a big MLB, NHL, and college baseball fan. When I lived in Omaha a few years back I really got into the CWS. It was a blast tailgating and sitting in the general admission seats, with no worries but making sure i didn't burn my burgers and if the beer was cold for a week every summer.

This forum was one of the first places I ran into when I started brewing and I check it a few hundred times daily. I'm addicted. We've got a really good group going in here and I really enjoy it!

Thanks for listening. :D

Ok...guess I should take a turn. 29 years old, married 5 years (as of 6/24) with a daughter (3yrs) and another on the way (find out the sex on 6/28). Im a software engineer with a company that does mostly government contracting. Its a job, but I dream of brewing beer for a living (I would gladly work the extra hours for that). I've been brewing for 3 years and am finally making the slow jump to all grain. I bought a used keg from a local brewery and had a buddy cut off the top. Just bought a grinder today to clean it up (which is by far the coolest tool I own). I hope to do my first all grain as my next batch, which will be in a month or so since both my kegs are currently full.

Other hobbies.....big soccer fan (yeah yeah....bring on the comments) and college football fan (Go HOKIES!!). My wife was born in Wisconsin and all her aunts/uncles and grandparents live there, some in Green Bay....which led me to adopt the Packers as my NFL team. I have been a fan ever since Antonio Freeman (from Virginia Tech) went to play for them but have become an even bigger fan since. Brett Favre is everything that is right about football and I will be a sad fan when he retires. I was actually taking a tour of Lambeau last summer and Brett walked right by us....unfortunately I was so engrossed in the tour that I didnt know until one of the tour guides pointed him out to me.....how pathetic!!! I really think I belong in Wisconsin cause I absolutely love Beer, cheese, and bratwurst....what more is there?

Anyway, I hope to learn from the rest of you and provide advice where I can. Good Brewing!

Well, with the previous 2 posts it’s a good segue for me. I’m 43 years old, born and raised in the Milwaukee area. Yep, huge Packer fan as well and as soon as the season draws near that Avatar is going to be changing… Married and have two kids. The eldest boy is in the Air Force at Langley AFB, VA doing imagery analysis (Where Orrelse and Sam are right?) and a daughter who’ll be a senior next fall. Still have family back in WI and visit about once a year.

I moved to Tucson almost eight years ago as I was sick and tired of shoveling and sub-zero winters. Now a nice day is a cloudy day :confused: . I live a bit out of town from Tucson and have a passion for killing friggin rattle snakes if they happen into my yard which seems to be 4+ times a year. Never did have that problem in WI other than an occasional squirrel with an attitude. I do miss a basement with this hobby though!

I’m a computer geek by trade (IT Director) for a company called Ecolab in the automotive cleaning sector. Been brewing beer since Jan of 05 but have been drinking it a wee bit longer. I just finished hack sawing 100+ slots in my copper manifold (while enjoying a nice HB Hefe) and am having my 1st All Grain brew day next weekend. Expect some posts after that adventure!!

desertBrew said:
The eldest boy is in the Air Force at Langley AFB, VA doing imagery analysis (Where Orrelse and Sam are right?) and a daughter who’ll be a senior next fall. Still have family back in WI and visit about once a year.
Yep, that's where we are. You still need to pass on his # one of these days so he can come on over and try some fine homebrew!!!

vtfan99 said:
....which led me to adopt the Packers as my NFL team.
We need to get together during the season!!! You aren't too far away! I have NFL Sunday Ticket and my 2 neighbors are both Packer fans so every Sunday is a big party!!!! I usually do brats and german potato salad for gamedays. This year will be the first year I have homebrew so I'm trying to come up with a nice "Gameday Guzzler" recipe just for Sundays!

vtfan99 said:
I really think I belong in Wisconsin cause I absolutely love Beer, cheese, and bratwurst....what more is there?
My ultimate plan is to move back to Wisconsin--I just miss it. The people are nicer, the place is just damn beautiful, and it's the BEER STATE!!!! DUH!!!!

Orrelse,
Hey I'm coming out to visit him probably in mid-late sep timeframe. Could work this through a Packer Sunday thing along with some homebrew. No matter where I am I'm watching NFL on sundays...

desertBrew said:
Orrelse,
Hey I'm coming out to visit him probably in mid-late sep timeframe. Could work this through a Packer Sunday thing along with some homebrew. No matter where I am I'm watching NFL on sundays...

Holy crap! Sounds awesome.... Keep in touch!
Shoot...we should do a commemorative brewday!!! We'll come up with a recipe and do it as a group!
If you need anything, let me know--I can tell you good places to stay and stuff......

Well, I'm not in the Armed Forces, nor am I from Wisconsin, but I'll chime in none-the-less.

I'm 36 years old, married 15 years, have 2 girls ages 13 and 10. Live in Omaha, Nebraska and work as a production manager for a window treatment company. Born and raised in Nebraska, so like you Cheeseheads, I can relate to the fall and football. Got into homebrewing about 3 years ago and heard about this site from another passion of mine...jeeping. I usually lurk on this site a few times a day and have learned so much! Keep up the great site and thanks for all the help.

cheers, dave

Did I mention I'm going back to Germany in 2 weeks (July 10-23 - my B'day is the 22d)? I'll be there for 2 weeks modifying 120mm Mortars.

I'll be in about 8-10 cities and sampling all the local brews in my off time.

homebrewer_99 said:
So you are French? Brian of Rouen.

I spent 2 days in Rouen. Very nice city. They have a couple of large churches there.

Yep! My family came from Rouen, France through Nova Scotia, Canada to southwest Louisiana. We're Cajun French. Strangely enough, there are no more DeRouen's in Rouen? :confused: My Aunt has been working on a family tree for years, but record keeping was so bad in SW LA. Most records were kept through the church, so grammar is bad, names misspelled, etc. But, it's cool stuff.

Funny how we all have so much in common. I LIVE for football! Texas A&M Aggies (season ticket holder for 12 years), and huge Houston Texans fan (hated the Oilers!). Gotta have the sausage, slaw, and potato salad on gamedays w/ good homebrew (we do Zummo's creole sausage. Localy made in Beaumont, TX!) Do like the Pack though, and love Favre! Just have to dig the competitor in him.

Good stuff here gang. Glad to get to know everyone and keep it up!

tim masterson. i'm 28, 29 in september. i have a wife and a lovely daughter who falls into the hellion category too, she's four. i manage a small store of rental cars in fort wayne indiana. if you need a ride when your in town, come see me. got my degree in history and criminal justice, so naturally i went into the customer service sector... ;) grew up in cleveland ohio in an irish catholic household, most of my family is still there, and they are still irish and catholic.

been brewing since last december, when a kit arrived on my porch from my little brother. i'd talked about it for a while, but never did anything to get started.

in april i started all grain brewing and am having a blast, though i don't get too technical with og and fg and all that jazz. i couldn't tell you anything about the stats of my beers, just how they taste and which ones i like better... i'm lucky i can figure out my mash equations :)

DeRoux's Broux said:
Yep! My family came from Rouen, France through Nova Scotia, Canada to southwest Louisiana. We're Cajun French. Strangely enough, there are no more DeRouen's in Rouen? :confused:

Not making fun or putting your origin down.

The problem of locating "DeRouen's" in Rouen is because there probably never were any "DeRouen's" in Rouen because it means "from Rouen". Anyone already living there would have no reason to say they were from there if they were already there. Now, there may be "DeRouens" living in other parts of France because they would want everyone to know where they came from in France, say if you were in Marsailles (French - MAR-say, English - MAR- sell-esz) you would say you were Brian "de Rouen". Now, it makes sense, but not if you were in Rouen because EVERYONE would be a "de Rouen".

My point is many, many people who came to the "New
World" said they "came from" a country, county, city, or occupation, or whatever and used that "name" as a last name. "DeRouen" from Rouen, "Cooper" someone who make barrels, "Schmit, Schmidt, Smyth, or just plain old Smith" were all worker of metal.

In Germany, "Frankfurt" is where the Franks crossed the river (-furt means "crossing"). A "Frankfurter" is a man from Frankfurt, a woman would be called a "Frankfurterine" (reen). Same goes for Hamburg.

Using this same logic, a "Budweiser" is "someone or something from" the town or area around Budweis, the German spelling/pronunciation of the town of Ceske Budejovice, in the Czech Republic. I've been there several times and drank the original Budvar beer.

Many of the cities in the States are named after the cities (in Europe) that the original European settlers came from. It was used as a means of identifying their origin, language and customs. For instance, Germantown, PA, Aberdeen (Scotland), MD; Florida is Spanish for "Flower".

There are thousands of places named like this as well as people.

So ends lesson number 543283 in a series of..... :D

I'd hate to bring this up, but many people (who didn't want to be found in the new world) changed their names to avoid the law, etc. I'm not saying any of your ancestors are in this catagory, but it could be the case for many of us. That's what makes the hunt so frustrating. Then there's the changing of the spelling, etc.

Happy genealogy searching!!! Good luck. Later. :D

i leave all that mess to my aunt (retired teacher!). i just get the latest when i see her at holidays........

thanks for the history lesson though! :~)

homebrewer_99 said:
A "Frankfurter" is a man from Frankfurt.

Come on man...don't blow smoke. We all know what a Frankfurter is.
Its something to do with lips and a$$holes and NOT someone crossing some river....MAN...and I'm not even a history buff. :D

I'm Allen Reinhardt, a second-year brewer. I, too, am in the Air Force. I've been an F-15 Crew Chief for going on 9 years and I've been in Quality Assurance for the last year. I've been stationed at Langley, VA, Edwards, CA, and now at Elmendorf, AK. As all St. Louis natives I grew up on AB products, but have since refined my tastes. The Cardinals rule the baseball world, the Blues are the best team not to play this year, and the jury is still out on the Rams. I started brewing to save money (of all things) as beer is crazy-expensive here. I have absolutely fallen in love with home brewing and I soak this site up like a sponge every chance I get to pitch in my two-cent pieces and arm myself with every bit of knowledge I can get.

i think it's pretty damn cool how we all come together, with a common goal to brew beer and gain knowledge of brewing. i'd get a kick out of meeting everyone and trying some of everyone's beer. talk about a hoot! :D

indeed pretty damn kewl.

Hi my name is brewhead. 40 years old. i work for a local mechanical contractor as an estimator/designer/IT. we cover most of the south east with jobs ranging from multifamily/commercial/light industrial. it's pretty fun but exasperating work but it feels so good when you can land a multi-million dollar job.

i got into brewing some time back - but have been a fan of beer ever since i first had a sip. i am not a beer snob by far - i am a beer enthusiast. i've never met a beer i didn't like. i'm not the pro like most of you guys are. my set up is very primative - but i have a lot of fun with it and it serves me well. i would like some day to graduate to a bigger ag system. most of my brewing consists of extract and partial mash.

i've been heavily involved with computers and now the internet. my first computer was an altair 8080. i was a fully liscensed internet broadcaster and helped pioneer many neat and useful technologies while casting for im radio. we promo'd many indie bands. then when the fees for the riaa/sesac/bmi/ascap et al became rediculous i turned in the golden microphone. i still sponsor a internet webcaster called BlueIceWater radio @ www.blueicewater.com if you dig blues.

on and on i could go..yadda yadda yadda

brewhead said:
i am not a beer snob by far - i am a beer enthusiast. i've never met a beer i didn't like.
i still sponsor a internet webcaster called BlueIceWater radio @ www.blueicewater.com if you dig blues.

well said brewhead!
and do i like the blues? I GOT DA' BLUES BABY! :cool: i'm check'n that site out pronto. Thank! :D

This looks like a good idea.
I left the Royal Navy in October 04 after 23 years. I now work in the North sea on an Emergency Response & Rescue Vessel stood by a oil a platform.
I work a month about so I do a brew on my month off and then spend a month at sea worrying it hasn't carbonated etc.
My other hobbies include researching the soldiers from my town that died during World War One and painting model soldiers.
I live in Bedale North Yorkshire and am married with three kids.
My local beers are Theakston's and Black Sheep but at home I drink Belgian beers and my own of course.

Roger.

RogerN said:
I left the Royal Navy in October 04 after 23 years. I now work in the North sea on an Emergency Response & Rescue Vessel stood by a oil a platform.

My other hobbies include researching the soldiers from my town that died during World War One and painting model soldiers.
My local beers are Theakston's and Black Sheep but at home I drink Belgian beers and my own of course.

man, some of you guy's have cool sounding jobs. maybe a little cold, but sounds interesting :)

i'm reading a book right now called "The Destruction of the Bismark". i saw a documentary on public TV about the HMS Hood and the Bismark. i was hooked! another good read is "Shadow Diver's". true story of two commercial divers who find a missing U-boat of the coast of New Jersey. good read.

i dig Old Peculiar. i have a clone recipe, just haven't brewed it yet.

nice to know you Roger! Cheers!

It was so cool last trip it snowed for a while, in June :confused: .
I was talking to someone just yesterday who's uncle was killed when HMS Hood was sank.

Roger.

Do you happen to know the number of the U-Boat found off New Jersey? I've got a great book on U boats that has a directory of the boats lost in the back. Among other things, it lists Captain's name, Fate of boat ( operational loss, sunk, scuttled), Cause, Number of survivors , and number of dead. Sadly, that last column is far bigger than the previous one. I love military history almost as much as homebrew.

Back