One Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBrew

Reaction score
The few times I've tried to modify a recipe for a one gallon fermenter have been dismal failures. Either too hopped or too malty or not enough or some other reason that makes the effort a drainpour.

Does anyone have any 'rule of thumb' pointers or other advice regarding just doing one gallon batches? I was mainly thinking of some high gravity novelty ales that I'd never begin to drink all 5 gallons or give enough away too justify dumping all that money into the ingredients required.

Are you using any brewing software? Most of them have auto scaling features that help cut the recipes.

I also found that calculating my hops in grams rather than ounces makes it easier in making small batches.

ANd what batch size are you making...if you are using a 1 gallon jug, you are more than likely using a btch size of 3/4 of a gallon, right?

Also, how long are you waiting before you pour these out? If you think a beer is to hoppy, time tends to mellow that out.

Also, if you tell me that you've been pouring these out after only a few weeks in bottles, I might just blow a gasket. :cross:

I've kept some examples around for 8 months with my fingers crossed but that still didn't help. The one gallon batches are done in a 3 gal carboy. Where would I find that 'auto-scaling feature' in BEERSMITH?

I've kept some examples around for 8 months with my fingers crossed but that still didn't help. The one gallon batches are done in a 3 gal carboy. Where would I find that 'auto-scaling feature' in BEERSMITH?

There should be a button that says 'scale', otherwise its on the actions pulldown.

Hopefully you can make it out...it's circled in red.

beersmith_copy.jpg

Ah! Thanks Revvy. I'm headed to the LHBS for some ingredients to try this feature out.

Thanx again!

One thing to remember is that the smaller the batch is, the less forgiving it's going to be on ingredients.... if you're using 3 gallon carboys, you might want to try to step it up to 2 gallon batches. I'm betting that you'll have more success doing that, and the additional cost won't be too huge.

One thing to remember is that the smaller the batch is, the less forgiving it's going to be on ingredients.... if you're using 3 gallon carboys, you might want to try to step it up to 2 gallon batches. I'm betting that you'll have more success doing that, and the additional cost won't be too huge.

Mac's right...I missed the 3 gallon carboy part..that's alos a lot of headsapce..you might want to consider doing 2.5 gallon batches in your 3 gallon fermenters.

I do quite a lot of them.

I personally don't think that you will lose anything from that amount of headspace though. I ferment 5 gallon batches just fine in a 15 gallon sanke keg.

The idea is to not to make too much of a brew that I'm not going to drink enough of to justify the normal 5 gal batches. That's the problem I posed. I have enough of my homebrew around right now in various stages of conditioning. Would be nice to have a couple specialty brews for a change of pace.

I've found that one case (2.5 gallons) is a good amount of "experimental" or specialty beers to have on hand in my pipeline..any less, I find that I end up regretting not making more.

I really enjoyed brewing 3 gallon stove top batches in my old apt. but now my direct fire mlt will not work on my electric range. I like the idea of growing yeast cell counts in drinkable beer.

Try using a brewing software. It will really help. Those have have auto scaling features that help cut the recipes. And one thing is for sure, the smaller the batch, the less forgiving its going to be on ingredients.

I'm planning on trying some half-sized (2.5 gal) batches too, and I'm wondering if there is any harm (or benefit) in pitching a full vial/packet of yeast? i.e. double the amount I would usually use in a 5g batch, or is it wise to downsize the yeast too?

I'm planning on trying some half-sized (2.5 gal) batches too, and I'm wondering if there is any harm (or benefit) in pitching a full vial/packet of yeast? i.e. double the amount I would usually use in a 5g batch, or is it wise to downsize the yeast too?

Nope, that's what I do, just pitch a whole pack..OR I'll use a pitchable tube, but not bother with a starter for it.

I make my meads in 1 gallon batches because I consider them experimental, but my last one was a high gravity cyser braggot and I did the mash on the stovetop along with a long boil. After 6 hours of toil I had one gallon of must (?) wort (?). That was really a waste of time. I can't imagine why I thought it would be quick and easy!

I'm currently a non-boiler with my meads so it is very quick to brew most of them so it is no problem doing a one gallon batch, and I'll keep doing it, or maybe use extract for a braggot. But I will never, ever, ever, ever again mash for less than three gallons!

A single White Labs vial or Wyeast packet is about half what a typical 5 gallon batch should have (in basically any 5 gallon batch you should be making a starter with liquid yeast), so it's perfect for most 2.5 gallon batches (basically spot-on for a 2.5 gallon batch with a 1.053 OG).

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator when in doubt.

A single White Labs vial or Wyeast packet is about half what a typical 5 gallon batch should have (in basically any 5 gallon batch you should be making a starter with liquid yeast), so it's perfect for most 2.5 gallon batches (basically spot-on for a 2.5 gallon batch with a 1.053 OG).

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator when in doubt.

that is exactly why I was making 3 gallons.

Back